Intel X25-V = $76.49

YamahaAlex37

[H]ard|Gawd
I am very interested to hear your opinions on how hot this deal is:
Coupon code: KICKOFF
https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.ph...5-V-2-5-inch-40GB-SATA2-Solid-State-Drive-MLC

Originally I purchased the Kingston SSDNow V Series 30GB drive for $74.99 with a $20 MIR, and while I think that is a great deal, I am returning it and getting this instead. After some research I think 28GB is cutting it too close for Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Office 2010 Pro, a few Adobe CS5 programs, and some 3D modeling programs. However, If my research is accurate 37GB should be just enough.

I know this drive gets horrible read benchmarks, but apparently Intel is very reliable and the real world performance as far as boot up and program load times is on par with the Sandforce drives and the Crucial C300... is this correct?

I heard of a few new series of SSD being released soon, so would it be smart to wait for further price drops?

I've got this. It's good, honestly not blazing fast to me. However, it's crazy reliable. No crashes whatsoever. IMO a great app or OS drive. Thinking about picking this up for WoW and FSX.

hmmmmmmmm really wouldn't say it's that great only because the 64gb crucial real ssd is going for around $100 lately. The crucial is better in many respects and costs $1.56/gb while this SSD would cost $1.91/gb most SSD's are running for $1.80 with no sale...

I've got this. It's good, honestly not blazing fast to me. However, it's crazy reliable. No crashes whatsoever. IMO a great app or OS drive. Thinking about picking this up for WoW and FSX.

Thanks monkey. Not too thrilled to hear it's not blazing fast, since that's kind of what I was hoping for with a SSD, but reliability is nice. To be honest I'm tired of the cluttered state of my HDD and was mostly wanting a place to offload my OS while I formatted and organized my HDD.

Thanks monkey. Not too thrilled to hear it's not blazing fast, since that's kind of what I was hoping for with a SSD, but reliability is nice. To be honest I'm tired of the cluttered state of my HDD and was mostly wanting a place to offload my OS while I formatted and organized my HDD.

The smaller drives are alot slower than the bigger drives. Things pick up at 60/4gb and above by quite a bit.

The smaller drives are alot slower than the bigger drives. Things pick up at 60/4gb and above by quite a bit.

But isn't it that .1 random access time that is going to give relatively the same performance loading the OS and programs? Example, these numbers look a little good to be true, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8hs3XcURE (skip to 1:11)

Also, if TRIM is ever enabled with RAID would it be likely to work with older drives such as this one?

For sure you'll love it over a spinning hdd. No doubt.

But isn't it that .1 random access time that is going to give relatively the same performance loading the OS and programs? Example, these numbers look a little good to be true, but:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg8hs3XcURE (skip to 1:11)

Also, if TRIM is ever enabled with RAID would it be likely to work with older drives such as this one?

The random access will help quite a bit with windows startup, and loading normal applications this drive will be fine, but stuff that is more dependent on the drives speed it will be slower.

I have this drive. It's pretty good for a OS drive + Main apps drive.

My windows 7 Install and Apps take up about 21 GB.

It has really good access times (like a SSD should), and pretty decent read speeds (sustains ~200MB/sec).

The part that is slow on this drive is the write speed, only sustaining ~40 MB/Sec. This makes installing programs a lot slower than on newer SSDs. However this is something I can live with, since really... how often do you install programs?

My system responsiveness is vastly improved with this drive. In all honesty, going to a SSD is probably my best PC investment in 5 years. It really did make that big of an improvement for me.

At ~$75 it's an OK price for the drive, but I think a tad high. It would be a great price at $60.

OOPS! I accidentally used the debit card that I canceled when I thought it was lost instead of my new one, so the order was denied and I probably can't use this coupon until I call them tomorrow... So in the mean time, in case I decide to keep it and assuming I could fit everything I wanted to on the Kingston SSDNow V Series 30GB, do you guys think it would offer relatively the same performance? I thought I read about some stuttering issues with this drive, but I'm not even sure what that means...

I have not benchmarked this drive other than a restart program. The computer boots down and restarts in around 45 seconds, which seems good to me, although I only have a laptop with a western digital caviar black to compare it to (which was a big upgrade from the Seagate which came with it). I bought it when mwave was running a good deal and am happy with it.

Man - when are the gen 3 drives going to hit retail - hurry up already.

YamahaAlex, this is not needed,wear leveling is incorporated at the firmware level, you will be fine creating a full sized partition.

I would like to know this as well.

I opened up a thread for this question:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1582658

And on a side note, I ended up using the 15% E-wiz coupon to get the C300 for $5 more than the recent Newegg deal... it just seemed like the best option after reading these replies, and after I accounted the fact I forgot I needed a portion of the drive to remain empty.

Now I'm getting mixed answers :confused:

Filling the drive completely will make it extremely slow.

Leaving a10-15% cushion will leave it more "working room" but guaranteeing the SSD's free space by creating a smaller "C" partition at the time of the OS install is the best solution.

Least, it worked well for me. :)

I installed this drive about a year ago for my wife's gaming rig, not one single issue, plenty fast for an OS drive, not one crash, SSDLife says 10 more years at current usage. Buy it.

Back