Intel X25-V 40GB $99 shipped @ Newegg (Shellshocker)

This is a good deal, and two of them in RAID 0 will most definitely beat their better 80GB drive. You lose out on TRIM, but as some say, it's not as if that's everything. I hope it's only a matter of time before they can enable TRIM even if two drives are in RAID - and hopefully a short matter of time.

If you use RAID w/ an Intel storage controller, don't you get TRIM now?

If you use RAID w/ an Intel storage controller, don't you get TRIM now?

The new Intel Rapid Storage driver only addressed being able to pass TRIM to a single SSD when coupled with RAID'd HDDs when used on the same controller.

So no.

One of the reviews from a "High" understanding user says that Win7 Home Premium took up 32 GB on its own. Puh-leeeeeze. he must be running a 16 GB pagefile.

One of the reviews from a "High" understanding user says that Win7 Home Premium took up 32 GB on its own. Puh-leeeeeze. he must be running a 16 GB pagefile.

I just reinstalled my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS and after all apps installed, I'm at 34GB used out of 80GB on my Intel SSD. But yes, Windows set my paging file to 12GB(I think because I have 12GB of ram).

I still personally wouldn't touch a 40GB SSD but again that's just my opinion. Not trying to knock anyone else doing it. I just wouldn't want to feel like I'll hit a wall if I install some large application or game.

Usually when a person talks to himself, he does so in private.

There is supposed to be huge SSD shellshocker sale on Friday for NewEgg...

Holding out for the 80Gig version.

this is useless for full size desktop, this is more useful for some netbook with win xp or ubuntu

This. If I can't find a good SSD on the deal tommorow, I'm not likely to get one until later in the year.

Details? Where did you hear this?

I know I've seen a few images of 'previews' for what Newegg will have for daily shell shockers.

In terms of space I use a 40GB Kingston for my OS drive with Vista Business 64 bit. It runs about 32 GB with all my important programs. I can install all the bulky secondary crap on my storage drive. given the choice I would have chosen this drive over the Kingston for $80 but whatever. It's still miles ahead of a mechanical drive.

In terms of space I use a 40GB Kingston for my OS drive with Vista Business 64 bit. It runs about 32 GB with all my important programs. I can install all the bulky secondary crap on my storage drive. given the choice I would have chosen this drive over the Kingston for $80 but whatever. It's still miles ahead of a mechanical drive.

Why would you have chosen this drive over the Kingston? It's the same drive but with a different case and sticker.

Also, considering the the Kingston drives went for as low as $75.56 on Monday, this really isn't that hot of a deal. ;)

Why would you have chosen this drive over the Kingston? It's the same drive but with a different case and sticker.

Also, considering the the Kingston drives went for as low as $75.56 on Monday, this really isn't that hot of a deal. ;)

+1 but I guess some people would have rather the intel sticker ....looks and smiles at his kingston sticker.

this is useless for full size desktop, this is more useful for some netbook with win xp or ubuntu
I strongly disagree. I have the Kingston version and with Win 7 Pro x64, Office 2010 Beta, a bunch of other small programs like Firefox and Java and Skype, a 2 GB page file with hibernation disabled, and 10 GB of Steam games I still have 10 GB free. Even if you wanted more games installed it's very fast to copy them in and out due to high random access speeds.
I guess not everybody knows about the firmware mod, or aren't confident doing it. That was definitely a better deal though, <$2/GB seems to be the sweet spot for now and this is $2.50/GB.

Yah, not as hot as the Kingston's on Monday for $75 (I got two when they were $85 and Amazon refunded me when the price dropped). Still a good deal for anyone who needs one. Didn't notice the banner for SSD sale earlier... maybe I'll grab some Indilinx drives tomorrow. :D

I'd definitely suggest running these 40GB SSDs in RAID0 if you plan on using with a desktop. As single drives, they're great for netbooks since they don't cost more nor as much as the netbook itself. :p

I have a 40 Gig Crucial and am running a "full size desktop"
Steam installed,windows 7 ultimate,BF:BC2 and everything else I need to do my everyday stuff.I still have 12 Gigs left on it.

Blah. I have W7 Pro, 7 different video encoders, CS3, full Office Ultimate suite, and a dozen other various programs..... 17.3 GB total. The only thing I have disabled is hibernation.

What time does the newegg Friday sale start? Are we talking about 12am Pacific on Friday or more like 12pm Pacific during midafternoon? Not familiar with how Newegg does their promotions =(

Knowledge fail!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p

I'm using a 40GB Kingston for my main rig with Win 7 x64 installed and all my main programs install on the drive. Still have 22GB of free space.

Don't install any games on the SSD because frankly it doesn't make them that much faster to load.

Heres mine after a 7 install

Knowledge fail!!!!! :p:p:p:p:p
Don't install any games on the SSD because frankly it doesn't make them that much faster to load.

Youve got a little bit of knowledge fail goin on as well, I load BC2 maps faster than everyone most of the time, by about 10-15 seconds.

Youve got a little bit of knowledge fail goin on as well, I load BC2 maps faster than everyone most of the time, by about 10-15 seconds.

No offense, but you also have a little bit of knowledge fail too. You can't make a claim like that using BC2 as an example when there's a known bug that causes ATI users to load slower than Nvidia users.

Back