Intel X25-M SSD Gen2: 80GB - $242.99 ~~ 160GB $472.99

Ah I guess they only had a few in stock and they are already gone :(

seems that way with every etailer

Nothing stops you from having both (except $$$ of course) :D.

yeah seriously Monkey. its like your comparing a truck to a sports car... they have different applications and some people have both.

but the lack of drives is a bit of a turn off. 449 is their MSRP

WildMonkey said:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I go from 2TB to 160g.

I'd rather have a 160gb OS drive or server drive than a 2TB one if the former is SSD. This is ignoring cost, by the way.

Hell, I'm waiting for the cost of these drives to go down a bit further so I can build a file server out of them. Four drives can fit into a single 5.25" bay. My 12 bay File Server would look pretty sweet with 48 SSD drives - and think about the power consumption/weight compared to just 15 standard drives.

Oh as soon as the prices lower you better believe that's what I'll be doing.

yeah seriously Monkey. its like your comparing a truck to a sports car... they have different applications and some people have both.

The problem I have with that analogy is that a sports car is a technical piece of art and extremely complicated when compared to a truck. SSDs are not really much of anything. They're just chips on PCBs with firmware and they cost more than a good GPU or two. They cost more than than some of the best CPUs. It's madness.

aldamon said:
The problem I have with that analogy is that a sports car is a technical piece of art and extremely complicated when compared to a truck. SSDs are not really much of anything. They're just chips on PCBs with firmware and they cost more than a good GPU or two. They cost more than than some of the best CPUs. It's madness.

The price will go down. The Q6600 was once over $500. The 8800GT was once over $300. I remember paying $200 for my AMD 2000XP.

Hell my dad spent $2100 in 1992 on a 486DX with 4 megs of RAM and a 14" color monitor.

Edit, $2100 in 1992 is $3100 adjusted for inflation.

Yea, price will go down. The 3rd party SSD manufacturer's (Samsung, WD, Crucial, etc.) will lead the way on price drops, I'd expect that you still end up paying a premium for Intel SSD's a year or 2 down the road if for no other reason than brand.

I think when 32/34nm or smaller flash becomes cheap/common place you'll see drives with similar capacity/speed become available for ~$100, hopefully around the end of this year or early next year.

They're more than just chips on a pcb. The fastest newer gen SSDs have sophisticated memory controllers that allow them to vastly outperform mechanical hard drives, both in read time (given) and now even in write time. Starting with Indilinx and later Intel controllers, SSDs now blow even Velociraptors out of the water in read/write operations. The implementation of large caches has also removed one of their biggest previous weakness - stuttering. And cutting your boot time in half and outperforming raid 0 velociraptors is hardly madness, I'd call it [H].

You're slightly off with your timeline, the intel controllers were blowing everything else out of the water when your only other choices were samsung (meh) or jmicron (crap) controllers. the Indilinx controller is newer and is the first to give intel a viable challenger.

You're slightly off with your timeline, the intel controllers were blowing everything else out of the water when your only other choices were samsung (meh) or jmicron (crap) controllers. the Indilinx controller is newer and is the first to give intel a viable challenger.

Thanks. The point is that SSD drives are not simply chips slapped onto a PCB. They have come a long way and are just as sophisticated and complex as any hard drive. Just because you don't have any moving parts, doesn't make the engineering any less sophisticated.

Woow... analogy gone awry...
anyways - 1992 honda civic hatchback with twin turbos and nitros = spots car != work of art.
all im saying is, if you need mass storage, you use a 2TB disk, or tape back up or some form of a slow truck.
If you want fast performance you get it in a smaller package that can be a porsche, S2000, wrx, Evo or SSD.

The purpose for each one is different.
Just like the Raptor series, more expensive and faster.

Back