Intel x25-m gen 2 in stock at newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see what the big deal is whatsoever. Law of supply and demand, capitalism, etc. If you don't like it, go drink the Obama "sit on your ass, petition government to provide everything for you" cool-aid.

Aren't there other retailers? Zipzoomfly, Tigerdirect, Mwave, Amazon, etc. If they have lower prices, buy there. Problem solved. No need for angsty forum and news posts.

Bleh, those things were too expensive for me even at their lowest price >.< Guess I'll be waiting a while.

To the people saying this is all kosher and great, what about MSRP, and what about the fact that 99% of the time, retailers don't pull this kind of stunt (remember the wii?)

Looks like the Gen 2 drives have all been pulled from neweggs site.

To the people saying this is all kosher and great, what about MSRP, and what about the fact that 99% of the time, retailers don't pull this kind of stunt (remember the wii?)

*whistles a little*

Just as a note, voting with your wallet doesn't mean jack if you still buy other crap from there. Either you stop completely, or they still win, because hey now they've got all this additional traffic to their site and people buying other crap.
(And don't tell me it doesn't work. It does. I've been there, and done that. It works every damn time, whether or not it was intended.)

*goes back to whistling*

Just to be devils advocate....

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price

Although Intel might be doing more than just suggesting! The bottom line is that in this world, the true value of an item is the amount that someone is willing to pay. Obviously that's different for everyone, but it seems like more than one person thinks $499 for an 80GB G2 is worth it. The same goes for the high-end graphics cards when the manufacturers do a limited release - people will pay out the ass for them!

Regarding the wii, I think Nintendo had a large part in saying what retailers could charge. You marked up the price, you didn't get any more wii's. That's what created that second-hand market in wiis for what was at least a year and a half.

i remember when buy.com opened up in 99? they were selling items below cost, well they must be selling below cost because i worked for the biggest computer company in ny at the time and buy.com was below their cost. So i bought from buy.com no tax, free shipping, by pay cost and ny sales tax? then once buy.com got well known they slowly raised their prices to MSRP. So i buy stuff from my company again at cost. Both stores are still in business, i never buy from my old company(cuz i don't get cost ) and heck sometimes if there's a good deal from buy.com, i get something w/ free shipping. and a company like newegg isn't making a few cents on an item, they're making more, and usually free shipping is just factored in to the total warehouse cost. I mean why else would amazon.com that offers nearly free shipping on oders over $25 be so big, and profitable.

i picked up a G1 drive from some random site with good reviews for $229, fuck newegg's gouging and lol @ the suckers that pay the inflated price just because its newegg.

And you're not a sucker for paying $229 for a G1 drive?

you're KIDDING me, right?

Newegg has been doing this for years.
Try those elusive new GPUs, CPUs or now SSDs. If people pay, they have had no quams about adding an extra $50-100. Old news people, move a long.

Vote with your wallets.

Wait, are you comparing adding $100 to a $1000+ cpu and adding $270 to a $229 ssd?

No that can't possibly be what you mean...

Regardless, now that more of us know they've been doing this, we can all stop shopping there.

Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25 because market research has shown them that people tend to significantly overpurchase to get free shipping. Instead of buying a single $7.99 book, they spend $30-$50. It certainly works on me!

We spoke earlier on the phone regarding item# 20-167-016. I looked into this item further and was notified that the item should not have been sold individually and was intended to be sold with a combo item. Unfortunately we don’t have an ETA when this item will back in stock since this is a high demanded item from Intel. Unfortunately the stock we had that was available is no longer available at this time. We currently are working with Intel to come up with solutions to help ease the high demand for this item. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused but do appreciate your understanding and patience.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you,

David Coronado

Customer Service Supervisor

Newegg's new motto: When under pressure, lie.

I guess I'll have to get in the sucker line cause I paid 320 for mine in May.

If that was the MSRP, or close to it at the time, then absolutely not. If you take a look at Newegg, you can see that exact same G1 drive is now listed for $359, the buyers that pay THAT price for it [today] are suckers.

Looks like the Gen 2 drives have all been pulled from neweggs site.
Heh, well, that's one way to fix it.

This has nothing to do with ethics. This is a business choosing to set it's price given market demands. The market sets the price.
(...)
Supply and demand folks. Supply. And. Demand.
I see you have your legs spread WIDE to the raping of Corporate America.

Price-gouging because of supply and demand isn't ethical; but people psychologically "normalize" it so much, they assume it must be somehow justified, just because lots of companies do it.

It's like this: If there's 1 donut left, and 4 people want it, is it humane to raise the price of the donut until only 1 person left wants it? (except that he wouldn't know that he's paying too much. He'd assume - by the trust in the place he's shopping, and the prices of everything else that are SUPPOSED to be competitive - that he's getting the same kind of deal as with everything else)

Newegg just pulled all those drives (bottom lines here). The root cause of that was because people saw the wrong, and started complaining.

I don't see what the big deal is whatsoever. Law of supply and demand, capitalism, etc.
There is no forced, uncontrollable "law" here. And thank goodness not everyone "doesn't see the big deal" just because other businesses practice these things as well, or society would be in for an even bigger raping.

Man, so many people have this attitude of "shut up and eat the feces Corporate America has given you". What is our culture coming to?

Last edited:
Seems to me like they just want to get people to buy the G1 drives so they can sell out of them. As soon as all the G1's are gone they will probably start selling the G2's at normal prices again.

Oh? Then why did they jack the prices of the gen1 SSDs too? The 80GB G1 is listed at 64% over MSRP.

Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25 because market research has shown them that people tend to significantly overpurchase to get free shipping. Instead of buying a single $7.99 book, they spend $30-$50. It certainly works on me!

Hell yea. And that Prime crap, omfg it was such a bad idea to get Prime. They better at least give me Prime for free next year.

Heh, well, that's one way to fix it.

I see you have your legs spread WIDE to the raping of Corporate America.

Price-gouging because of supply and demand isn't ethical; but people psychologically "normalize" it so much, they assume it must be somehow justified, just because lots of companies do it.

It's like this: If there's 1 donut left, and 4 people want it, is it humane to raise the price of the donut until only 1 person left wants it? (except that he wouldn't know that he's paying too much. He'd assume - by the trust in the place he's shopping, and the prices of everything else that are SUPPOSED to be competitive - that he's getting the same kind of deal as with everything else)

Newegg just pulled all those drives (bottom lines here). The root cause of that was because people saw the wrong, and started complaining.

There is no forced, uncontrollable "law" here. And thank goodness not everyone "doesn't see the big deal" just because other businesses practice these things as well, or society would be in for an even bigger raping.

Man, so many people have this attitude of "shut up and eat the feces Corporate America has given you". What is our culture coming to?
Setting prices based on demand is not only ethical, it is the only moral way to conduct business. It is rooted in the concept of property rights. Those drives, that inventory is the property of Newegg. This property has a value, and the market sets that value. There is an ideal price based on how much supply newegg has and how great the demand is that allows Newegg to maximize their profit potential.

A transaction, a trade requires the consent of both parties. In a legitimate transaction, the property owner must have full control of what price he's willing to sell for. The consumer cannot set this price, that would be essentially theft.

If the owner values a drive at $800, and a consumer pays $0 (robber, threat of force) that is a property rights violation. If a consumer drops $500 on the table, and walks off with the drive, that is also a rights violation. If the consumer, petitions government to use threat of force against the property owner to make the price lower that is equally a property rights violation. All ethically and morally corrupt. Yes, we have much of the later in our interventionist economy, but that doesn't mean it's moral.

Oh? Then why did they jack the prices of the gen1 SSDs too? The 80GB G1 is listed at 64% over MSRP.

I didnt notice that, last time I looked the G1's were still at reasonable prices. Maybe they just want to make money?

From en economic standpoint the parasites selling food, water, gasoline, and other necessities to homeless refugees for massive markups after hurricane katrina were doing the correct thing. Google it, you'll see, economists broadly agree on this. Sadly this is not your econ101 class, this is a consumer-led forum, and the greybeards consensus that it's better for the economy as a whole simply does not matter.

Yes. They just want to make money, and they're putting short term gains over long term customer relationships. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars at newegg over the past, geez, 9 years? No more.

HardOCP staff should be backing PCPerspective up on this- are you?

I fully believe that Newegg has the right to charge any amount for any product it sells.

I fully believe the consumer has the power to purchase that product or not, ie; vote with your wallet.

I fully believe that Intel has the right to NOT sell to etailers that put its product in a bad light.

I fully believe that PCPer has the right to complain about it.

I fully believe you have the ability to state your feelings on this forum which is supported in part by Newegg.

Those are my thoughts on this situation. YMMV.

Funny how the other thread got locked....

The threads got merged here. Too many threads on one topic.

Newegg and Hardocp have had a close relationship in the past, maybe they can post here justifying (lol) their pricing decision?

Newegg is an advertiser of HardOCP and HardForum. We are not in a position to "justify" any companies' pricing decisions, only our own.

Is it against the rules to discuss price gouging? I didn't see anything there but it's a very long list of rules.

No it is not. And please don't be bothered to actually read the rules which you are expected to abide by here and told us you agreed with when your registered.

I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by this. Newegg has done this many, many times before. Once supply stabilizes, Newegg's prices will fall.

Price gouging is an imprecise term, but generally I only apply it to excessive pricing of essential goods during an emergency.

No one needs an X25-m. You can wait a couple of weeks for the price to come down, you can buy an alternative SSD, or you can buy from another retailer.

Yes, yes, and yes. Luxury item. Price "gouging" is not possible. Capitalism at is finest, or worst depending your viewpoint.

This has nothing to do with ethics. This is a business choosing to set it's price given market demands. The market sets the price. If there wasn't demand for these drives to be sold at a premium then they wouldn't be doing it. They could charge $1,000 for the 80GB drive for all I care. There will be a leveling off of price in due time due to demand waning as well as pressure from competition. Supply and demand folks. Supply. And. Demand.

This.

Yes. They just want to make money, and they're putting short term gains over long term customer relationships. I've spent tens of thousands of dollars at newegg over the past, geez, 9 years? No more.
All I'm saying is that that is 100% their prerogative and noone should advocate abolishing their choice to do so.

Just like it's ours not to pay that price for the drive, or to shop from the MANY other online retailers.

Of course they can charge whatever they want. I just think it sucks, that's all.

This has nothing to do with ethics. This is a business choosing to set it's price given market demands. The market sets the price. If there wasn't demand for these drives to be sold at a premium then they wouldn't be doing it. They could charge $1,000 for the 80GB drive for all I care. There will be a leveling off of price in due time due to demand waning as well as pressure from competition. Supply and demand folks. Supply. And. Demand.

Of course you are correct.

The problem here is that Newegg is the only internet retailer to go mondo-bozaro with their pricing and many customers feel that this is a slap in the face for their loyalty.

Personally, they have dropped a notch in my ethics department and have a "black eye" from this fiasco but like most here I will still consider them when it comes to an economical decision.

My measly 57 yr. experience on this earth has shown me that the people who moan the most are the least likely to make a difference because they cry about everything and have the least financial means to make a difference.

It's the major majority silent guys like me that vote with their wallets that make a difference in the bottom dollar line.

Only time will tell if this temporary price increase actually has an effect but I seriously doubt if any computer enthusiasts group is going to effect their bottom line.

Prove me wrong here fellows and steer your, or your parents, dollars to somewhere you feel has the ethics to deserve your cash or forever hold your peace.

Thanks for the reply, kyle, but I think you misunderstood what I was asking for. Newegg has several people that they have make posts here about products, availability, and deals (sometimes exclusive to HardOCP). These are the people that I was hoping to get a response from.

I would suggest that the people that post here are not in a position to answer your question either.

If it's too expensive for your tastes, don't buy it. :rolleyes:

Those of the camp moaning about the raised prices on the X-25 make it out to be some kind of fundamental right to have an Intel X-25 SSD. What you should do is negotiate with a CSR, as Newegg's obviously still making a profit on these, or go to a competitor's site which is selling it for cheaper.

No one is forcing you to buy from Newegg. I know I excercise some restraint from buying from Newegg, not because of their service of fast shipping times, which are phenomenal, but because they have the rotten situation of being established within California and Los Angeles County, which compounds to a near 10% sales tax on top of what I'm buying. That's why I go to Amazon mostly.

The same thing happened with the 8800GT when they were in very short supply at launch. Some people bought it for near $300 initially, and when supply of these cards came back into the market, guess what? The prices dropped back down to equilibrium.

The prices of these drives just went up because there's so much demand and not enough supply. Just wait it out. :)

I don't understand why Newegg has such high blind brand loyalty anyway even though I do purchase a lot of stuff from them. In this case, yeah, their automated price setting went way high for whatever reason. At the time of the 2x price posting, there were other online retailers that were selling the same SSD for near MSRP. A large part of the sales going on for high-demand release products is going to be put on Ebay anyway for a huge markup until supply meets up with demand. Launch prices are normally stupidly high, especially on video cards.

I always check a few other places and buy from the place with the lowest effective price (I might pay a couple extra dollars from Newegg for their faster shipping), so if Newegg doesn't happen to have the cheapest price for what I want, then they don't get my business for that particular product. Personally, I don't care at all if they overcharge for stuff as it's just another data point. I'll just buy somewhere else or wait a couple of weeks.

If anyone is looking for a G2 80Gb drive, Tankguys has them in stock at a reasonable price.

Under their harddrive category, the ONLY thing listed is the x25-m. This seems very much like a scam, but I'd love someone to assert that these guys are legit.

Tankguys has been around for a fair bit of time. IIRC they have been pretty good about listing which batch CPU's are from which is why some ppl really like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back