Intel x25-m gen 2 in stock at newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have purchased every computer part I have ever bought from newegg, I will never ever shop there again or recommend a friend does so.

I get suply and demand but this is just offensive. Demand will plummet and suply will increase in the comming weeks, prices will adjust. Doing this is a poor PR decission on their part. In the spirit of a free market they can charge whatever they'd like althought it is also our right as consummers to take out business elsewhere I hope others follow suit.

What's the difference between:

This one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167024 at $1000

And this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167017 at $900?

... the model #s are slightly different but I do not see much of a difference in the specs.

I still can't believe Newegg is trying to pull this. I actually spoke to a CSR last night about it and got the canned response that 'our prices fluctuate according to market demand' or something to that effect.

Corporate greed at it's finest.

Well, well. This is an awful abuse of intel's screwup. My six figure yearly budget that used to go mostly to newegg, is now going somewhere else.

When Newegg gleefully RMA'd my order I went to buy.com. Glad I did now. With Buy.com I didn't have to deal with the silly purchase limits and price was the same. 3 days after my order I had 2x 160gig G2 drives installed and have been happy since.

I'm in the market for another drive or two but won't be buying from Newegg, at least not with their current ludicrous prices ($900 for 160gig).

Newegg and Hardocp have had a close relationship in the past, maybe they can post here justifying (lol) their pricing decision?

Is it against the rules to discuss price gouging? I didn't see anything there but it's a very long list of rules.

http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7706

according to pcperspective newegg has jacked the intel g2 ssd prices by 110% of there msrp.

we are looking at $7.48/GB for the 80GB model and $6.23/GB for the 160GB version when its supposed to be around $2.80/GB for both

i think i smell cooked eggs

errr they are selling the 80GB model for $500 now? And what is this other 80GB model for that is selling for $600?!? Even the price on the G1 went up. The only drive near it's original price is the kingston rebrand lol

This whole mess makes me sad at newegg, though I'm glad I was able to get my G2 from them for $229 a few weeks ago. :)

There are already several threads on this topic. And no-one with any critical thinking skills thinks that this is an attempt by Newegg to actually get this price for these drives. The price is a reflection of the restricted supply and overwhelming demand. Some speculate that this is an automated response by Newegg's inventory system. Personally I think that this is Newegg's way of reserving the drives for people that desperately need them, instead of just having the SKU reflecting that it is out of stock for great periods of time.

I think Newegg, and also, Intel let's be realistic, should speak on this matter to set the record straight. But the sky isn't falling, so dry your eyes and hike up your skirt.

Jesus christ its fucking $500... newegg is about to lose my business forever for pulling this bullshit.

I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by this. Newegg has done this many, many times before. Once supply stabilizes, Newegg's prices will fall.

Price gouging is an imprecise term, but generally I only apply it to excessive pricing of essential goods during an emergency.

No one needs an X25-m. You can wait a couple of weeks for the price to come down, you can buy an alternative SSD, or you can buy from another retailer.

Update:
Newegg has totally removed the G2 drives from it's site, and is now listing the G1 80GB drive for for a mind blowing $359! I've seen them do some minor price gouging before, but this is appalling.

I'm not sure why everyone is so shocked by this. Newegg has done this many, many times before. Once supply stabilizes, Newegg's prices will fall.

Price gouging is an imprecise term, but generally I only apply it to excessive pricing of essential goods during an emergency.

No one needs an X25-m. You can wait a couple of weeks for the price to come down, you can buy an alternative SSD, or you can buy from another retailer.

If I had been aware of them more than doubling msrp on something, I would have stopped shopping there at that time. This is the first time in 8? years that I've seen this high of a markup.

If I had been aware of them more than doubling msrp on something, I would have stopped shopping there at that time. This is the first time in 8? years that I've seen this high of a markup.

you're KIDDING me, right?

Newegg has been doing this for years.
Try those elusive new GPUs, CPUs or now SSDs. If people pay, they have had no quams about adding an extra $50-100. Old news people, move a long.

Vote with your wallets.

Update:
Newegg has totally removed the G2 drives from it's site, and is now listing the G1 80GB drive for for a mind blowing $359! I've seen them do some minor price gouging before, but this is appalling.

Pretty unbelievable!

It got outta hand.

i picked up a G1 drive from some random site with good reviews for $229, fuck newegg's gouging and lol @ the suckers that pay the inflated price just because its newegg.

surprise intel contacted pcper that they did not raise the prices on the drives its all on neweggs head atm and looky here the g2 are missing from newegg

And no-one with any critical thinking skills thinks that this is an attempt by Newegg to actually get this price for these drives.
So your argument is that they doubled the price because they don't want them to sell? And you honestly feel this is a fine example of critical thinking?

This could be a thread condemning apartheid and guaranteed there'd be some dude playing the devil's advocate knocking down straw men with wild abandon. Gotta love the internet.

Considering the Gen2's were selling like hotcakes I'm not surprised. If people are snatching these things up at the current price, why not jack the price up and see how much people are willing to pay for them.

Because putting short term profit over long term customer satisfaction is foolish?

So your argument is that they doubled the price because they don't want them to sell? And you honestly feel this is a fine example of critical thinking?

If you read the rest of his post you would see he wasn't saying they don't want to sell them, but they want to conserve inventory so they can sell them to people who are willing to pay an extreme premuim.

And this isn't anything new with Newegg, they do this with many many other products. That's one reason some people think this is an automated procedure.

I bought an 80GB G2 drive from newegg for a new 920 build a few days ago but had held off on purchasing the rest of the parts (including three more 160GB G2 drives since they were out of stock).

I've been a customer of theirs for 8+ years now according to my purchase history, but I'll be shopping elsewhere for the rest of my parts. I see this as blatant price gouging and profiteering, and that upsets me.

Good move on Intel's part to release that statement. My guess is that if Newegg continues to rape it's customers this hard Intel will ask them to cool it or risk their future shipments. Many have been waiting over a month for this drive to be available and this could easily turn into a "fuck it, I'm just buying a Vertex" environment which doesn't benefit Intel.

I think I might do the same, although I wont buy it from newegg. As other have said protest with your wallet!

I checked with my sources and suppliers.

The wholesale price on the Intel SSDs is unchanged, as Intel has already confirmed. I checked with wholesalers, and they are NOT the ones marking these drives up.

So plain and simple, yes, Newegg is basically trying to ride tight supply and high demand to reap profit on these drives as much as possible. Most of their products have very low margins, meaning not a lot of profit. So when something like this comes around, of course they're going to jump on and ride it like a bucking bronco as long as they can.

Is it legal? Yup. Is it typical? Yup. Is it a sound business practice? Yup. Is it ethical? Meh. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.
All I'm gonna say is that there are many reasons I no longer do business with NewEgg.

By the by, for those of you on the fence? Their response to this hitting the press was not to issue a statement, or respond to requests for comment, but rather to simply remove the products in question here from their website entirely. You can only find the deactivated items by searching the exact model number (SSDSA2MH080G2) and that they removed at least one review from the 160GB.

Last edited:
Is it ethical? Meh. Not touching that with a ten foot pole.
Heh, let me help you with that:
Is it ethical? No. That's why there are threads and articles about it.

Heh, let me help you with that:
Is it ethical? No. That's why there are threads and articles about it.

Well, there's a reason I'm not touching it. I'll elaborate on why I'm not touching it, but not on the actual question.

The reason I won't touch it is because most items from shops like NewEgg are lucky to turn a profit at all.
There's a large number of items that are basically sold at a small loss, to remain competitive, which they hope to make up with higher margin items. If NewEgg charges only what they paid for it wholesale, they lose money on that item, because it costs money to freight it, put it on the shelves, and maintain inventory tracking. The argument that they should charge more doesn't work, because then they get undercut, and have to cut their prices to remain competitive. They rely on making up these small losses with higher margin items and high shipping charges where they can. Things like the ridiculously expensive case shipping, extended warranties, case fans, cables, USB beverage coolers, etcetera. Items that sit on shelves and sell slowly - like i7 965's, etcetera - they take larger losses on because they have to pay to store those unsold items. (An aside; back in the early 90's through the late 90's, wholesale pricing information was harder to get, but pricing was just as cutthroat. However, back then, we could usually set things up so that fast selling items were actually functional as profit generators - it wasn't much, a dollar or two was considered very good - but a fast selling item brings scale to it.)
Wanna whine about THAT? Too late and tough luck anyways. You're all the ones, same as me, who demand low prices - then expanded that to getting wholesale price information and demanding retailers match that. Wholesale is below their actual cost. It forces them into the choice of taking a few dollars loss on a CPU to make it up on shipping and some case fans, or not selling anything because you'll go elsewhere to get it cheaper.

So, now you know why I won't touch the ethics question.

Last edited:
As a consumer that's not my problem. If selling items near wholesale costs wasn't a viable business model, they wouldn't be doing it. I expect a small markup. 100% is not a small markup.

It's like buying drinks at a club-- obscenely, insulting expensive. So expensive that they imply I'm the sort of imbecile that would pay $25 for well vodka and ocean spray cranberry juice from a can.

This has nothing to do with ethics. This is a business choosing to set it's price given market demands. The market sets the price. If there wasn't demand for these drives to be sold at a premium then they wouldn't be doing it. They could charge $1,000 for the 80GB drive for all I care. There will be a leveling off of price in due time due to demand waning as well as pressure from competition. Supply and demand folks. Supply. And. Demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back