Intel x25-m gen 2 in stock at newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a free market. If something is in demand the price goes up. If it has no demand the price goes down. Pretty simple. These are a hot commodity right now and newegg raised the price. They've got to make money somewhere and big sellers is where they can do it.

I'm not going to get all pissy just because they raised the price on one item because it is in high demand.

I mean, why sell something for $299 if someone is going to buy it and flip it on ebay for $350 or whatever? It doesn't make any business sense.

Thanks. I just got a shipping notice. ;) Says wednesday (stupid labor day) ETA.
I'll still be among the first to get them and one of the few for MSRP.

I got mine in today from a merchant selling through Amazon.com and it's simply amazing what this one piece of hardware can do for overall performance.

I paid $255 for an 80GB retail box and so far it's worth every penny.

It's a free market. If something is in demand the price goes up. If it has no demand the price goes down. Pretty simple. These are a hot commodity right now and newegg raised the price. They've got to make money somewhere and big sellers is where they can do it.

I'm not going to get all pissy just because they raised the price on one item because it is in high demand.

I mean, why sell something for $299 if someone is going to buy it and flip it on ebay for $350 or whatever? It doesn't make any business sense.

This viewpoint certainly has merit. After all, basic economic theory agrees. But one could argue it's short-sighted. The opposing viewpoint probably opens the future to better business growth. The long-term trust a company fosters by consistent service (pricing) outweighs any profits reaped by short-term greed.

If I KNOW a certain store will always have the best price & service (or nearly the best), then I will shop there repeatedly without hesitation. I like saving time by not having to research and compare. However, if I know a store might be ripping me off for whatever reason (including valid economic influences such as supply and demand), then I won't routinely (if ever) shop there.

This viewpoint certainly has merit. After all, basic economic theory agrees. But one could argue it's short-sighted. The opposing viewpoint probably opens the future to better business growth. The long-term trust a company fosters by consistent service (pricing) outweighs any profits reaped by short-term greed.

If I KNOW a certain store will always have the best price & service (or nearly the best), then I will shop there repeatedly without hesitation. I like saving time by not having to research and compare. However, if I know a store might be ripping me off for whatever reason (including valid economic influences such as supply and demand), then I won't routinely (if ever) shop there.

Unfortunately, most place would go for short term gain, especially in this economy, not a lot of products has such a high demand that they can raise the price to make extra.

Chris

If I KNOW a certain store will always have the best price & service (or nearly the best), then I will shop there repeatedly without hesitation.

You are definately more trusting than I.

Besides, price research is half the fun for me. :D

Only time will tell if this will be a permanent black eye for the Egg and actually effect their bottom line, but most people's memory of the incident will last until the next super discount sale on an item they need. ;)

Only time will tell if this will be a permanent black eye for the Egg and actually effect their bottom line, but most people's memory of the incident will last until the next super discount sale on an item they need. ;)

Couldn't have said it better myself. All of the people in this thread getting sentimental and teary-eyed over an SSD will go where the prices are best on the next go round. And if they don't, then they are guilty of inefficient use of either their or their customer's capital. Talk about unethical. :p

I also agree that people will forget and return to Newegg quickly once the dust settle. I think they are hurting Intel as much as Intel is hurting themselves with this "quasi-paper launch".

A lot of people were waiting on G2 availability at decent prices to buy like me but seeing that drama unfold (price hike coupled with the rarity of that drive on the chain + no trim support for early adopters whether its a technical or arbitrary decision from Intel) will decide to buy a competing product like I did yesterday. I said fuck it this is taking too long and I jumped the gun and ordered an OCZ Agility 120GB for 299$ Canadian I am sure I will be very happy with the performance/GB/Price ratio. Plus OCZ + Indilinx have good support of the drives.

Several of us have stated that we've terminated business with newegg for this. I can't speak for anyone elses budget, but I have over 1000 users and build over 300 machines a year. Dirty math, 300 x $2000 each = ? I'd say we can make an impact.

Oh, believe me, some of us make a significant impact. And have previously. I've already slapped Newegg once before. I was one of the very, very few builders that dealt in Quadro and FireGL. (I don't deal in Quadro any more, without the customer waiving all of my warranty and support liability on the card, along with other conditions.) Their attitude toward this just cost them sales on Supermicro boards, Xeons, and memory.

The fact is that Newegg has made it abundantly clear that their consider their customers a bunch of idiots. The fact that they continue to operate several arms under different names in an attempt to hide ownership certainly doesn't help matters. Then, their response to this is to remove as much evidence as possible, and refuse to say anything whatsoever. That's what this is really about, by the way.

But, I guess if you want to not just do business with, but promote a company that calls you an idiot, lies to your face (it's not hard to prove that Newegg removes dozens of negative reviews on genuinely bad products daily,) then shits in your hand and calls it "customer service," their opinion of their customers is spot on.

Oh, believe me, some of us make a significant impact. And have previously. I've already slapped Newegg ....
.........that Newegg removes dozens of negative reviews on genuinely bad products daily,) then shits in your hand and calls it "customer service," their opinion of their customers is spot on.

When are you gonna tell us how you really feel? :D

So Newegg lost $60,000 on you... Maybe. I still don't think that will impact them in a huge way, and if you end up having to buy stuff for your customers at higher a cost at CDW or elsewhere then you're just doing them a dis-service imo (not trying to tell ya how to run it or anything, after all, it's their choice to do business with you as well... it's your job to deal w/Newegg or whomever tho).

Don't get me wrong, if they do end up suffering because of this then great, but moral conviction alone isn't gonna stop me from shopping at Newegg again, heh. They still give better support than a lot of other shops, and they still have great prices/selection overall. I still think Intel is just as much to blame as anyone else here. If the drives were widely available there'd be 0 issues, and they were announced a month and a half ago now. Their SSD division needs to learn from their processor division, there's years of hard-learned lessons there on product launches and announcements. :p

You missed a zero there and that makes a big difference. I think you also have the wrong impression as you refer to users as customers and think they have a choice of where to get their machines. It's my IT department and I decide what what machines they get and where they come from, they are never informed of the costs involved. AreEss is dead on balls accurate.

I won't forget.

Mwave has the G2 160GB retail box (which includes a 2.5"/3.5" adapter) in stock. I just bought one for $540 total including 2nd day air shipping.

This is what I would consider to be a reasonable markup.

After umming and ahhing over whether to get one of these I finally ordered the G2 160GB OEM for £346 including postage. It's nice not feeling like I'm being ripped off for living in the UK for a change :)

If someone is dumb enough to pay $500 for a X25-M G2 80gb then they are an idiot.

Some of you in this thread are acting like some virgin saint has suddenly become the devil, get a grip. They are a business, and if you do not like how that business operates then don't use them.

After umming and ahhing over whether to get one of these I finally ordered the G2 160GB OEM for £346 including postage. It's nice not feeling like I'm being ripped off for living in the UK for a change :)

346 GBP is about $120 USD over MSRP, correct?
I paid $449 each for (2) 160GB G2's, which is 274 GBP.
Of course, that was in the few hours here and there before
everything went through the roof!

If someone is dumb enough to pay $500 for a X25-M G2 80gb then they are an idiot.

Some of you in this thread are acting like some virgin saint has suddenly become the devil, get a grip. They are a business, and if you do not like how that business operates then don't use them.

Amen

346 GBP is about $120 USD over MSRP, correct?
I paid $449 each for (2) 160GB G2's, which is 274 GBP.
Of course, that was in the few hours here and there before
everything went through the roof!

Yeah, that sounds about right - however, over here we don't seem to be suffering from the same insane stock shortages so the lack of price gouging makes up for the standard high UK prices :)

Yeah, that sounds about right - however, over here we don't seem to be suffering from the same insane stock shortages so the lack of price gouging makes up for the standard high UK prices

I'm in the UK and currently can't find it in stock anywhere :(

Thanks for the techonweb link. I just ordered 2 so we will see what happens. xpcgear said they were available on their site but they were really out of stock so hopefully these guys are different.

I got a notification as of this morning at 7:25am...so either someone goofed and lied, or they have them. They were not taking advance orders, so chances are good.

You all just killed TechOnWeb's supply.

I ordered one, and am glad I did so before posting...

I got a notification as of this morning at 7:25am...so either someone goofed and lied, or they have them. They were not taking advance orders, so chances are good.

Weird, stock updating on a Sun morning, they must be working over-time! :D

I don't think anyone is getting a "hot deal". We're just listing places that have them in stock for reasonably close to MSRP.

Yeah, pretty much, a hot deal would be $200 or less, with free shipping... Most of us are lucky to get it for $230-250 plus shipping. MSRP is $225 IIRC.

You missed a zero there and that makes a big difference. I think you also have the wrong impression as you refer to users as customers and think they have a choice of where to get their machines. It's my IT department and I decide what what machines they get and where they come from, they are never informed of the costs involved. AreEss is dead on balls accurate.

I won't forget.

Good for ya, my comments still apply regardless of whether you're building a fleet of systems for an office department or whether you're building individual systems for customers in a shop... If it's your job to price it out and build it and you ignore future Newegg deals solely because of this then you're doing your employer/customer a disservice imo. You're well within your right tho.

I assumed you were building systems as a small shop owner or something because most offices usually tend to buy pre-made OEM systems. /shrug CDW certainly caters more to your situation tho, even if they don't have the best prices.

BTW A lot of people coming to this thread might seem oblivious to some of the outrage generated at Newegg... Let the record show that most of it was due to the outrageous $500-600 price they had for the 80GB X25-M at one point. Most people can understand a $50 markup on a hot item, even $100 (though it's still hard to swallow)... But 2x MSRP is a whole different story.

I mean Newegg's well within their rights, but it's still shocking/insulting and it could have far-reaching ramifications for them. Tho I'm still doubting it, as others have said, people forget 'till the next great deal.

BTW A lot of people coming to this thread might seem oblivious to some of the outrage generated at Newegg... Let the record show that most of it was due to the outrageous $500-600 price they had for the 80GB X25-M at one point. Most people can understand a $50 markup on a hot item, even $100 (though it's still hard to swallow)... But 2x MSRP is a whole different story.

I mean Newegg's well within their rights, but it's still shocking/insulting and it could have far-reaching ramifications for them. Tho I'm still doubting it, as others have said, people forget 'till the next great deal.

Exactly right. A 20-30% markup for a hot new product isn't all that surprising, but marking it up over 2x is going too far. Sure they're within their rights, but 2x+ is way over what we're used to.

For the current stock status, either Newegg got in a huge shipment, or their sales are slow, because the 80gig gen2's have been instock at $350 for quite a few days now.

I'm guessing Newegg enabled a feature in their revenue management software that jacks up the price in small increments on items as they become closer to being out of stock. There may even be speed detectors to jack up prices even higher for items that appear to be in extreme demand, or price increments are set to be higher for specific items depending on news coverage hype, etc. Not surprising and I will be looking elsewhere before considering Newegg from now on.

Ehh... I think the initial price hikes up to $500 might've been automated. It went $225 -> $250 -> $280 -> $500/600 with bouts of in-out-of-stock in between over the 'course of like a day and a half, meanwhile they were also putting up the retail SKU alongside the pre-existing OEM SKU. But after it sat out of stock at $500 then came back in stock it remained at $500 for a day or two ($600 for retail), even as people called and asked what was up. Surely the price had been reviewed by management at that point... The 160GB drive was up to an equally crazy $980 I think, and the retail SKU had to have been added manualy at those prices (for both 80GB and 160GB), so either the person doing it was clueless and just followed suit after the automated system or they were testing the waters.

After that they deactivated all the G2 listings for about a day then they came back up at the current $350... Even more interesting is that the G1 drive had originally been priced down to $230 or $220 right after the G2 was announced (the very same day that article went up on Anandtech)... And it remained at that price thru this entire ordeal 'till they deactivated the G2 listings then brought 'em back, suddenly the G1 got hiked back up to $350 (which is actually near what it was originally previous to the G2 price announcement).

I think it's all this up-and-down business, listed and not, in stock for two seconds then not, priced at $250 now then $280 when it's in your cart, etc. that bothered people as much as the price hikes. I never managed to get the price/stock alerts in time but I can imagine how frustrating it was for those that barely missed it or saw it go up in price before their very eyes. Some people even managed to get refunds during the initial hike from $250 to $280 IIRC, before CS took a firmer stand on the price (and surely they were instructed to do so, they don't just decide upon this by themselves).

Just trying to add a lil' context to the outrage... For anyone that wasn't trying to buy it at the time like the rest of us geeks. :p

Newegg has had the "automated" price changing on items based on their current supply of inventory for as long as I remember (as in many many years). Yes, it could be 100 minimum-wage employees manually changing the price on all their items based on supply but Occam's razor since a computer program is generally cheaper and more reliable.

I've seen it with a lot of their in-demand items, such as new video cards and similar. Not surprised at all that they raised the price on the Intel SSDs. It's just that in this case, whoever set the settings for their automation (probably fired by now) left the "max price" too high instead of their usual 40$ extra on items in a similar price range. Hence, the bad press and overall bad sentiment.

I doubt anyone's going to pay 350 right now, seeing as how there are other stores with it in stock for a lower price at least for now. Personally, I'll still continue to buy Newegg if they are the lowest price across reputable retailers and continue to not buy from them if they are not. Hopefully, the people who were blindly buying from Newegg no matter what their price was might shop around more now so that Newegg's prices stay competitive. But I doubt that will happen. :)

$350, while not as insulting as $500, is still a 53% markup. And that's not OK.

Yeah $350 is ridiculous, you think they'd try to make up for the bad publicity by selling it cheaper than other online retailers which most currently show $250 which is only a $25 mark up.

Good for ya, my comments still apply regardless of whether you're building a fleet of systems for an office department or whether you're building individual systems for customers in a shop... If it's your job to price it out and build it and you ignore future Newegg deals solely because of this then you're doing your employer/customer a disservice imo. You're well within your right tho.

I assumed you were building systems as a small shop owner or something because most offices usually tend to buy pre-made OEM systems. /shrug CDW certainly caters more to your situation tho, even if they don't have the best prices.

We tried pre-made systems a few years ago (and still do from time to time to test the waters) and we've yet to find a quality line. Building them ourselves, and not using the exact same hardware every time, eliminates a lot of problems. For instance, MS is constantly pushing patches that toast specific machines, just a couple weeks ago it was update 973879 that pooched about 100 HP laptops here (I don't build laptops).

There's a certain level of service one can't put a price on and newegg has dropped the ball as far as I'm concerned. I stopped dealing with pc-connection years ago because of service issues. You get what you pay for usually and if you paid $500 for an 80gb x25-m, you should really be getting 'serviced' good.

The mantra of 'you get what you pay for' implies quality of product, or lack thereof if you cheap out, not what inflated markup you paid for an item.

Just got one from buy.com with bing cashback... It says they are almost out of stock.. got mine for 227 free shipping before cashback.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211487190

how do you get bing cashback on buy.com? I serached for buy.com on bing search but dont see the cashback icon.

Also what is the free shiping code? and is it correct that it is being sold by "Beach audio" and not shipping / sold by buy.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back