Intel x25-m gen 2 in stock at newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK you will need a firmware update and a driver update (the standard Intel Storage Matrix drivers aren't passing TRIM calls thru right now IIRC)... But as others stated, it shouldn't be a big deal to use it without TRIM support for a few months, read some of Anandtech's articles on SSD if you want a whole enchilada of exact details on the subject.

As far as enclosures... You're mounting it outside as an external? Why? I'd probably avoid that unless it's an e-SATA enclosure... For mounting it inside the case, the retail-boxed versions actually come with a 2.5"-to-3.5" bracket. I wanted to mount mine in a 5.25" bay instead so I bought this Lian-Li 2.5"-to-5.25" bracket... I had seen a plastic Scythe one as well that holds three 2.5" drives but the LiLi seems to be much better constructed (and still holds two 2.5" drives if you ever wanna go RAID). Coolerguys seems to have the Lian-Li far cheaper than anyone else btw (cheaper than the plastic brackets too).

If you want a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter instead and you bought the OEM version of the X25-M then Newegg has dozens of those adapters available. I went with the 2.5" to 5.25" because I had empty bays at the bottom of my case and it fit my setup better that way anyway.

Sorry, I should have clarified, I meant a 2.5-3.5 adapter, didn't realize internal enclosures were so damn expensive for them.

Have they clarified when this firmware and driver update will be out? Or is "in time for Windows 7" still the closest thing we have for a date? That is what I was originally hearing.

The buy.com ones on ebay all seemed to have sold out, when I finally got mine I used 8% Bing cashback, and earned $5 in Ebay bucks, came to like $207 after discounts.

I don't think there's an exact date on the firmware support for TRIM, no, I think they did mention it'd be before year's end but that doesn't narrow it down much... There's a month left 'till Win7 hits and two months left after that 'till the end of the year. :p You got it for a steal at $207 imo, that's below MSRP ($225).

Newegg sells a bunch of actual internal enclosures too btw, but they seem rather pointless to me, I dunno what they'll accomplish that a simple bracket won't (other than suffocate it more and make it more of a PITA to install the drive), and yea, some are $25-40, vs a $10 bracket/adapter.

Also keep in mind that the retail packages include an internal 2.5"/3.5" adapter.

Yeah, the Bytecc rails should work fine, the Silvestone bracket does look better for like a buck more tho. If you bought the G2 model ending in R5 you got the retail version and the bracket I (and schizo) mentioned before. Hell I got the retail version and probably won't be using mine since I got that 5.25" bay bracket...

Yeah, the Bytecc rails should work fine, the Silvestone bracket does look better for like a buck more tho. If you bought the G2 model ending in R5 you got the retail version and the bracket I (and schizo) mentioned before. Hell I got the retail version and probably won't be using mine since I got that 5.25" bay bracket...

It was the 01 model, which is completely fine with me at that price. Its going in the bottom of a P182 and I'd prefer it to look half way decent so I may wait for the silverstone adapter.

Your card charge was just a pending transaction...

...you'll just have to wait like the rest of us who know we're not about to be gouged, but for those who can't wait, they obviously are fine with paying more...

It's too bad that you missed out, I'm sure the world certainly stopped revolving because of your experiences with Newegg. :rolleyes:

Pendings (holds) show differently in my online bank page. This was marked as an actual charge. The drive on newegg was marked as out for shipment with tracking information.

The drive firmware is user upgradeable without any issue. Just boot and update. The flaw was also for a specific edge case that didn't apply to me. So the drive was in perfect operating condition for my usage. Why wouldn't I try to get the drive?

The original purchasers should be offered first crack at whatever shipments come in, preferably at the price they were originally. Simply good customer relations when you FORCE a recall and don't allow individual customers to give the go ahead to ship a drive out despite a minor issue.

Your needless and pointless scoffing is noted. I'm sharing my experience and contributing to the thread. You are just taking up space with replies lacking any useful contribution.

I can sympathize with the people who had orders in with the original price and had their orders cancelled. They jumped and bought the drive, then their orders were canceled at no fault of their own. Newegg should've at least offered the people who bought these drives the option to keep their order open and have them fulfilled once they were back in stock. Instead, Newegg just canceled the orders then proceeded to jack up the prices leaving all the early buyers to either wait or buy drives at marked up prices.

Granted Newegg has the right to do this... it's just terrible customer service and I think that's what everyone is up in arms about.

Precisely. Poor show by newegg on this one. I'm still waiting to hear back from Customer Service about a price match on my original order.

Last edited:
Ryom, let me know how it goes. I have a coworker who had his 160 gig recalled but is still looking for one. I'd like to let him know if there's any hope with Newegg.

While I do agree Newegg should honor the price that you originally bought it for (it's just good CS), the actual recall process was probably entirely out of their hands. If Intel tells them they want all current stock back ASASP Newegg can't very well refuse or try to sneak by orders based on used requests and risk endangering their relationship w/Intel.

I have the Intel G2 SSD on the way..Got the last one from ShopBLT.com last week for 249.00.

Is there anything i have to do as far as prepping the drive for a fresh install of windows 7 ?? Perhaps aligning? I think Windows 7 aligns it for you.. no?

Yes it does, no worries on that end. Win7 should automatically disable Superfetch too and it shouldn't be attempting to defrag that drive... You can always check that this is really the case. Other than that there's not much you've got to worry about. You should leave the page file alone, and you can leave hibernate as you want (unless you're strapped for disk space, disable it in that case, 'specially if you have a lot of RAM... since the hiberfil.sys file will be equivalent to the amount of RAM you've got).

Yes it does, no worries on that end. Win7 should automatically disable Superfetch too and it shouldn't be attempting to defrag that drive... You can always check that this is really the case. Other than that there's not much you've got to worry about. You should leave the page file alone, and you can leave hibernate as you want (unless you're strapped for disk space, disable it in that case, 'specially if you have a lot of RAM... since the hiberfil.sys file will be equivalent to the amount of RAM you've got).

In my case I didn't find that Win7 disabled anything that was supposed to be disabled for SSD's. It was easy enough to do it manually though. I'm using my 80gb gen2 as my OS drive, my 160gb gen 1 as my main games drive, and my old velociraptor for games I played years ago and want to keep around.

Ryom, let me know how it goes. I have a coworker who had his 160 gig recalled but is still looking for one. I'd like to let him know if there's any hope with Newegg.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Newegg.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Unfortunately, the prices of the items have changed a lot so that we are not able to honor the original prices.

A big fuck you from newegg. Pretty disappointing, they don't seem willing to honor the old price for people who had a prior order.

In my case I didn't find that Win7 disabled anything that was supposed to be disabled for SSD's. It was easy enough to do it manually though. I'm using my 80gb gen2 as my OS drive, my 160gb gen 1 as my main games drive, and my old velociraptor for games I played years ago and want to keep around.

Heh, nice setup... Gives me a good idea too (my poor wallet)... I had planned to move my 80GB G2 to my netbook whenever I upgrade to something else, but I could use it as an extra app drive too I guess. Pretty tempted to get an Agility drive for my netbook soon, before I actually need/want to replace my G2 as my main OS drive.

So i guess its safe to say that when the drive arrives, all i need to do is pop it in, load Windows 7 on it.. and im good to go?

A big fuck you from newegg. Pretty disappointing, they don't seem willing to honor the old price for people who had a prior order.

bawww.png

Well, I guess you'll be waiting for good prices like the rest of us!

In other words, life moves on. ;)

You know, this has gone on long enough.

As we have always done, HardOCP suggests you vote with your wallet. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back