Intel X25-M 160GB G2 vs Intel 330 180GB

Retsam

2[H]4U
I could use some input here..........

First SSD purchase. I just bought the oem X25-M 160GB(SSDSA2MH160G2) off tigerdirect for $120 with a $30 rebate($90AR).

After I made the purchase I saw ncix has the Intel 330 180GB for $120 with no rebate but a free game that may sell for $15-20 or so.

Which purchase is better here? Should I just go with the Intel 330 180GB? I am conflicted. The 330 is obviously newer and technically faster I guess as well as 20GB larger. Is the 330 worth the minimal price difference or should I just stick with the X25-M 160GB I already ordered and that has shipped.

The X25-M is also oem and I think I need the adapter tray for the SSD to mount it, I am guessing the retail 330 would have this included?

Thoughts?

The 330 for sure.

The x25-m is ancient.

The 330 also comes with a 3 year warranty, the adaptor plate, and some cloning software.

Keep the 330, sell the other one or use it as a game drive that doesn't rely heavily on write performance.

The X25-M is still effectively fast, boots os' in seconds, and as long as it's trimmed is as it was when bought performance wise. Not to mention probably single handedly the most stable SSD ever created (i'e no blue screens or lock ups). Maybe a used one that works good is in order (read cheap).

I already placed the order for the X25-M 160gb, not for the 330 180. So id have to probably figure out a return or sell it if I wanted to go with the 330 which is a pain.... Still trying to decide what to do really. I am kind of with ShuttleLuv, I am not that picky and I run a vraptor right now. Im sure the X25-M is still a step-up from a vraptor.

One of my issues with the X25-M is its OEM and id need to spend more money for the damn tray mount or whatever the fuck I need, where as a retail drive probably includes that. <facepalm>. The fact gets it closer to the 330 price.

Well, it's still a good drive indeed and a big jump from your Raptor regardless, I'm just not sure I'd pay $90 for such an old (160GB) drive when current gen 120GB drives can be found for the same or less. I've got an 80GB X25-M G2 running on my mother's desktop tho, after I used it for a year or two, they hold up well.

Actually mounting it should be the least of your worries tho, these things have no moving parts, you can zip tie or velcro the thing to the side of your drive cage (or the bottom of the case, back of the mobo plate, etc). A 2.5" to 3.5" or 5.25" adapter is like $5 tops anyway.

The X-25M is a solid, reliable drive but you probably payed twice as much as you should have for it. I would definitely return it and snag a 330 instead. I am starting to notice the limitations of my own X-25M and I'm ready to upgrade to something faster.

The X-25M is a solid, reliable drive but you probably payed twice as much as you should have for it. I would definitely return it and snag a 330 instead. I am starting to notice the limitations of my own X-25M and I'm ready to upgrade to something faster.

Fair enough. Hopefully tigerdirect isnt too terrible to return with, ive never done a return with them.

I guess I am just going to return it, fuck it. Ill wait for another deal on the 330. I am in no rush anyways. I guess its sticking with my long time reliable vraptor for now.

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
Are you limiting yourself to Intel drives only or something?

Or the Samsung 830. :p

Basically, yes. Ive followed comments and input on SSD's for a couple years now. Intel seem to be the most reliable. I dont want others, unless its a Samsung 830.

Gotcha, a little narrow but I don't blame ya... That's pretty much what I've bought: 80GB X25-M, 40GB X25-V, and two 128GB 830's. I think the 840's fine if you don't intend to hammer it with dozens upon dozens of GB in writes per day, they're being priced very aggressively.

Crucial's M4 and Plextor's M5S / M5P also look like worthwhile alternatives if the price is right IMO. To be honest I'd prefer most of those over Intel's Sandforce based drives, they kinda de-emphasized the consumer SSD market IMO.

Hopefully tigerdirect isnt too terrible to return with, ive never done a return with them.

You'll probably have to pay the shipping, but it's actually very easy, quick, and hassle free. You also refuse shipping on the item, assuming it's coming via UPS/Fedex.

You'll probably have to pay the shipping, but it's actually very easy, quick, and hassle free. You also refuse shipping on the item, assuming it's coming via UPS/Fedex.

Yeah, thats always easier said than done. Im sure it will come when im working.

Back