Intel X-25M or OCZ Agility EX?

crea78

Weaksauce
I'm thinking abt getting an SSD drive once Windows 7 is released. I got my eye on two ATM; the Intel X-25M 80GBG2 and OCZ Agility EX 60GB both in RAID 0 arrays. Due to the fact the OCZ Agitlity EX is SLC based, it costs $400 compared to the Intel's $220 at ZZF after MIR. The Agility EX also performs slightly better than the Intel but at the cost of less storage space and over $300 more. Can any of you justify the added cost for a "better built" SSD that will last longer or just stick with the Intel since we all know its a true winner from the get-go?

Just not sure if I should get two of them since right now we all know TRIM will not work in a RAID setup ATM. However, I can still get the two Intel's and split one SSD for apps and the other for games until TRIM is supported for RAID.

Update: I went ahead and purchased the Intel X-25m 80GB drives from ZZF due to price and amount of storage I would have over the OCZ drives. Since I have a Cooler Master HAF 932 case with removable HDD bay drives, what would be the best 2.5" to 3.5" enclosure that could fit in here or could I seat them on top of each other inside the drive bay without purchasing an enclosure?

wow good article... i actually enjoyed reading all of it and I am now conviced that I need to buy two Intel SSDs and raid them :p

I too am interested in converting to an SSD, but what do I need to know about installation? Would I need to upgrade my mobo, or does an SSD install just like a new HDD?

Thanks for the article, really informative.

Really looking at the Intel X-25M 80gig for OS, and design software then setting photoshop scratch disk to a caviar green. Just kinda torn between a VR and the SSD. Budget wont let me get a raid of either so it has to 1 high performance disk and 1 storage/scratch. Hmm.

I too am interested in converting to an SSD, but what do I need to know about installation? Would I need to upgrade my mobo, or does an SSD install just like a new HDD?

Installs like any SATA HDD. Just plug it in n watch it fly :) Though you might want to get yourself a 3.5" to 2.5" tray for your HDD bays if you dont have one.

Installs like any SATA HDD. Just plug it in n watch it fly :) Though you might want to get yourself a 3.5" to 2.5" tray for your HDD bays if you dont have one.

That is what I was hoping...thanks!

Back