Intel Will Officially Unveil the 9th-Gen Core Series on October 8

I am sure they will just FLY off the shelves at the insane prices they decided to go with! /s

I'm really torn on the 9700k not having HT enabled, though I'm back and forth on if HT actually benefits in my virtualization uses (and maybe gaming). My ideal upgrade from the 4790k I have now has been 8c/16t with a large boost in single core, but it looks like I'd have to go 9900k to get there.

Does AMD have anything on the horizon? 2700x is close but not quite what I want to upgrade to right now.

$350 is about all I can handle for a CPU and that's pushing it.

HT made sense when core count was low to create the illusion of multithreaded tasks, but now we have plenty of cores on die, all it does is mess with your caches and increases the likelihood of misses. I’m out of the game, but 40Gbe pcie express cards from mellanox etc all say HT off for max performance. Workload dependant I guess but why bother.

Intel 9th gen can go suck eggs until the die shrink is real. Right now everything they are putting out is overheating space junk.

I'm waiting for 10th generation real 10nm Intel CPUs

I wonder when that will come to fruition though. My z97 platform is getting long in the tooth. I'm still considering just buying a 2700x or something and then selling it as soon as something new is around.

I wonder when that will come to fruition though. My z97 platform is getting long in the tooth. I'm still considering just buying a 2700x or something and then selling it as soon as something new is around.

Unless that 9900k is something really special, I'd do exactly that.

I love my 8700k, but really only because I did the whole nine yards. It's delidded and has liquid metal TIM and a Noctua D15 for a cooler. So I run 4.8 all core at low voltage and temp with full AVX workloads stable and just leave it there. But I bought it the day the 8700k came out and the 2700x was only just being talked about.

The 2700x has two more cores and AMD's version of HT. It has a pretty solid built-in clock up that may get you up to around 4.2 with little to no effort. Pair it with whatever DDR4-2800+ CL14 RAM you can find cheaply and you have a real monster for a whole lot less money.

If I was going to buy right this second considering Intel's current chip shortage prices? I'd buy the 2700x hands down. Cost to performance it wins and it's just more versatile and will probably be a better 5-10 year CPU than the 8700k will.

But if money is no object, 9900k here we come.

I'm really torn on the 9700k not having HT enabled, though I'm back and forth on if HT actually benefits in my virtualization uses (and maybe gaming). My ideal upgrade from the 4790k I have now has been 8c/16t with a large boost in single core, but it looks like I'd have to go 9900k to get there.

Does AMD have anything on the horizon? 2700x is close but not quite what I want to upgrade to right now.

$350 is about all I can handle for a CPU and that's pushing it.

$350? Sounds like a 2700x. The stock cooler it comes with is awesome too.

I would be super surprised if the 9900k is under $400.

Ahh a 12-sided die. That takes me back my old D&D days.

Like last night.

Nice!

I still DM 1st gen rules for a group f guys and gals I've played with since the 80's. It never gets old. :)

Nothing like some one rolling 3x 1% chances to do something, lol.

I said "that's crazy, if you can roll three 1's in a roll, on my dice, you can do that."

Lol. Shit happens. :)

As far as the article: these chips still don't have any mitigations for the flaws that are known, so WHY would someone buy these?

I hope AMD counters shortly after with a 2800X announcement....
And what magic could the "2800x" possibly contain to compete with the 9900k? Even the 9700k is going to be faster in games than anything AMD can do until next year.

And what magic could the "2800x" possibly contain to compete with the 9900k? Even the 9700k is going to be faster in games than anything AMD can do until next year.
Intel is a few % faster and AMD is much cheaper. Both will keep your game FPS high. So I would go with the cheaper one. More cores does not hurt as well. :)

The difference is minimal in most cases, and I only said I hope they would, they dont necessarily need "magic" to be competitive. Just over a year ago they were laughable by comparison, and look where they are now...

Intel is a few % faster and AMD is much cheaper. Both will keep your game FPS high. So I would go with the cheaper one. More cores does not hurt as well. :)

The difference is minimal in most cases, and I only said I hope they would, they dont necessarily need "magic" to be competitive. Just over a year ago they were laughable by comparison, and look where they are now...
You two are being so defensive that you do not even comprehend the point. The 2700x is nearly maxed out and adding another 100 mhz is not going to make a worthwhile difference to compete with the 9900k.

$350? Sounds like a 2700x. The stock cooler it comes with is awesome too.
I don't agree about the Ryzen heatsink. It's too small, noisy and I don't like the disco LEDs. It seemed to ramp up the fan every time you do anything at all. Audibly.

I got a hyper-expensive Noctua (with a brown fan :) ) to replace it. I tend to overdo these things a bit though. Can't hear it unless I open the case and really try.

I don't agree about the Ryzen heatsink. It's too small, noisy and I don't like the disco LEDs. It seemed to ramp up the fan every time you do anything at all. Audibly.

I got a hyper-expensive Noctua (with a brown fan :) ) to replace it. I tend to overdo these things a bit though. Can't hear it unless I open the case and really try.

25A6E3D8-D52D-4C88-8BF9-79426679027E.png

I run mine on low. I’ve never really noticed it but my 330R has sound dampening and is a few feet away. I also don’t have a window on my case...

We all have preferences heh.

Well comparatively my 1070 fan was louder than the stock wraith cooler. So it wasn't a big deal to me. Did change the CPU cooler but for matching my white color scheme.

Let's see. Intel been paper laucnhing this CPU for quite awhile... Wonder what is the difference now??? MAAAYBE Ryzen is the real reason (because cost vs performance) and did indeed sizable chunks of their market. Also... We are (un)officially into the holiday season and Cyber week (which is beginning to sound like Cyber month) is next month.

Quote:
I run mine on low. I’ve never really noticed it but my 330R has sound dampening and is a few feet away. I also don’t have a window on my case...

Answer:

I specialized in airflow testing for maximum cooling performance in cases. I do not like the current designs of today's computer cases as they only jack up the prices for EYE candy. There are no real performance increases between your style of case and what is being sold today.

I own a Corsair 400r and love it because it is simple and sleek as well as getting the job done. My noise level is at 38.5 db at the point on where I sit. Which is very good considering the noise from the side fans are bouncing off the wall. The case is sitting on my left hand side of my desk and is 12 inches away from the side wall. So there is some sound bouncing going on.

My temps run low. It's a quiet setup and everything works well.

True. AMD has it's strengths. But there is no where to go that a tweaked 2700X hasn't already been. Could go 12 core, but I think they will hold tight with semi-aggressive price drops. Intel will price high, and they should as it will be the best 16 thread proc out there all around. For peeps with a non specific work load and a long upgrade cycle this might be it.
It will be a first for Intel though where they release a flag-ship enthusiast part with next to no OC'ablity. It is an all out part with a joke of a listed TDP. I am sure [H]ard with show us some real #'s.

It seems like the speculation is that this gen is still susceptible to spectre/meltdown, any know if that is still the case... I suppose we would have to wait for release to know for sure?

You two are being so defensive that you do not even comprehend the point. The 2700x is nearly maxed out and adding another 100 mhz is not going to make a worthwhile difference to compete with the 9900k.
Zen2 is rumored to bring a significant improvement to single threaded performance. Not sure why you think 2700x is the best AMD can do. And when it comes out next year, I will gladly drop it in my existing system.

This chip is about the same hype as a 2600K Sandy Bridge in 2011. I mean they brought the thermal interface material back and everything.

View attachment 109824

Meh the worlds most golden ear can tell a 1db difference. "most" humans can only differentiate 3db after age 30. And that is doing the "ping in the ear" and saying one ping sounds louder than the other. So based on that chart they are about the same, only the winy sound would affect quality, aka is it a growl or a werrrrrrr.

Zen2 is rumored to bring a significant improvement to single threaded performance. Not sure why you think 2700x is the best AMD can do. And when it comes out next year, I will gladly drop it in my existing system.
And I'm not sure why you did not pay more attention to what I actually said. Of course Zen 2 will be out next year but I was referring to how silly it would be just to add another hundred megahertz on top of the 2700 X to try and compete with a 9900 k. In case you're still confused, the rumor is a 2800 X will come out once Intel releases the 9900 k.

Been waiting for the 9700k for my pure gaming machine replacement (7700k passing down to my son ,then will kick his 4700 down to little sister).

I would think an actual core count of 8 is plenty for gaming , possible higher OC potential without HT etc , and would like to see if can get it slightly over 5ghz (what my 7700k is at now on Noctua 15).

I've got an 1800x sitting beside it for my work/vm/misc everything machine so nothing against AMD at all , just for 100% gaming rig I'd rather have the 5ghz +.

I would think an actual core count of 8 is plenty for gaming , possible higher OC potential without HT etc , and would like to see if can get it slightly over 5ghz (what my 7700k is at now on Noctua 15).

This is what I was thinking too. I understand why the CPU vendors want to focus on core count; it's the only path left for them to upsell. In my experience the vast majority of games are still heavily dependent on single core performance. Multi-threading is still freakishly hard to do in any way that delivers a performance increase worth the effort.

Maybe I'm way off and newer games are finally really taking advantage of extra cores. Guess I'll have to go back through some reviews of some recent games and see if there are enough of the right kind of benchmarks to answer that question.

For a long time this was my gaming cpu selector: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

And for a long time there was a $150 i3 in the top 10 - I helped a few friends build machines with it and they were very happy. It has been a year and a half so I guess things could finally have tipped in the favor of cores vs. pure single thread performance. It would be nice!

And I'm not sure why you did not pay more attention to what I actually said. Of course Zen 2 will be out next year but I was referring to how silly it would be just to add another hundred megahertz on top of the 2700 X to try and compete with a 9900 k. In case you're still confused, the rumor is a 2800 X will come out once Intel releases the 9900 k.
No need for the douchey condesending tone. I'll wait until this rumored cpu actually comes out before jumping to conclusions.

So amazon actually had two different prices for the i9 9900k... one at $529 and the other at $499. if you went from the nowinstock link it was $529, but if you actually went to the item on Amazon it was $499... yet it was completely unsearchable. I have no idea how people find these pages without a tracker.

Back