Intel Westmere 32nm & Clarkdale Core i5-661 Review @ [H]

Has anyone OC'd any I3's yet? I'm itching to scoop one up and play with it for kicks if I can get 5ghz out of it

Very doubtful. Anandtech has a review up of actual i3 now FWIW. Seems they have the same OC headroom as the i5's tho, which ain't bad at all for a $120 part.

Yeah I am going to build a new SFF rig and retire my current desktop to folding only, but I don't know if I could do the dual core thing. I would love to get an i3 and overclock the piss out of it, because it would save a pretty large amount of money, but I am not sure if I buy it yet. I don't do a whole hell of a lot on it, the occasional conversion/compression but not a whole lot other than games.

If you're only gaming for the most part you might as well go for it then and save yourself about $90 vs a quad core i5 Lynnfield, but that's the only reason I see for doing so. There's probably more SFF-friendly mobos out already using P55 or even X58 than H55 tho... Dunno, haven't really looked at 'em.

Yeah for P55, I am looking at the ASUS Rampage III, it supposedly has excellent onboard sound as well as being SLI/crossfire compatible, should I decide to do that (quite possible at some point).

If I go X58, there's also a few out there, I kinda like the EVGA one.

Back