Intel vs AMD Processor Security: Who Makes the Safest CPUs?

Wow! Intel really looks weak here, AMD caught up with IPC without the Swiss cheese Intel Security holes. I would think Intel can kiss off their data center CPU's, who would really trust them. Now I see why US military is buying 3 Cray AMD Eypc Super Computers. What secrets have been exploited already with Intel CPU's would be nice to know. I can see governments of the world dumping Intel entirely, problem is AMD would not be able to supply enough chips nor is it perfect either. ARM? IBM Power9? Custom secure CPU's from Google and others in the future may migrate out from their own company - as in Google making CPU's for data centers? Would be cool seeing an explosion of new CPU designs, new instruction sets. Maybe IBM will become relevant again in the end starting with the Power9 SMT4(8).

Just gonna say something before all the AMD fanboys start slathering lube all over one another tripping over themselves to congratulate each other, other this "new" news. This article might be new, but the news is archaic at this point. Nothing is 100% secure, it just so happens that AMD had not been cutting corners on security and had no desire to sacrifice security for performance. Look at how much that dedication to security over performance helped them... Intel, insecure as they are have dominated the market for decades. The have a pile of cash that probably can't be spent in a dozen lifetimes and AMD is just now regaining market share before Intel (likely) starts kicking their asses up one street and down another in 2021-22.

AMD has a bunch of design wins but only time will tell on how all this shakes out in the end.

Intel is weak - without a massive architectural re-design their chips will still carry the flaws. The current level of mitigations are microcode based and some hardware "ish" fixes (essentially bandaids) that slow performance. I would suspect the performance hits will be felt on the 9 -10 series Intel CPUs. Maybe by 7nm they actually do something about it.

Before the Intel haters set upon me with knives and automatic weapons... I am running an AMD 3600 as my main rig.

The essence is that Core(2) Arch is trash and full of holes that can never be fixed.

Just gonna say something before all the AMD fanboys start slathering lube all over one another tripping over themselves to congratulate each other, other this "new" news. This article might be new, but the news is archaic at this point. Nothing is 100% secure, it just so happens that AMD had not been cutting corners on security and had no desire to sacrifice security for performance. Look at how much that dedication to security over performance helped them... Intel, insecure as they are have dominated the market for decades. The have a pile of cash that probably can't be spent in a dozen lifetimes and AMD is just now regaining market share before Intel (likely) starts kicking their asses up one street and down another in 2021-22.

AMD has a bunch of design wins but only time will tell on how all this shakes out in the end.

Intel is weak - without a massive architectural re-design their chips will still carry the flaws. The current level of mitigations are microcode based and some hardware "ish" fixes (essentially bandaids) that slow performance. I would suspect the performance hits will be felt on the 9 -10 series Intel CPUs. Maybe by 7nm they actually do something about it.

Before the Intel haters set upon me with knives and automatic weapons... I am running an AMD 3600 as my main rig.

agree that nothing is ever completely secure.. now is AMD currently more secure? sure. but once intel quits releasing the same processors every year and actually implements the hardware fixes they're suppose to then they'll probably be pretty equal til some other flaw is found that may or may not effect one or the other or both. that's just the nature of the beast when it comes to technology.

Before dudes start yelling austically that I'm a fanboi, I was AMD for decades up until sandy bridge. Starting with my awesome 386DX 40. I thought Intel had addressed the flaws, in hardware, starting with coffee lake?

Before dudes start yelling austically that I'm a fanboi, I was AMD for decades up until sandy bridge. Starting with my awesome 386DX 40. I thought Intel had addressed the flaws, in hardware, starting with coffee lake?

The Core arch design has flaws so basically it's wack a mole scenario where you find one, patch, rinse repeat. The insecure design lends itself to this outcome. read the article.

I find it hard to have empathy for a company that squandered it's technological edge by sitting on it's laurels for years on an ancient deficient design which at it's inception was brilliant.

Last edited:

that’s a lot of words to say basically nothing at all....

Back