Intel Updates Kaby Lake G Radeon RX Vega M Driver

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
If you're one of those folks that decided they wanted to get the new Intel NUC running with Vega graphics you've had the misfortune of using pretty old graphics drivers this whole time. The good news is Intel has finally released new drivers for your box that are based on Adrenalin 18.6.1 drivers and you should expect improved performance in many of your games. Head on over to Intel's download site and grab these.

Now, the latest driver from Intel is much more modern, being based upon the AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 18.6.1 driver. This seems to be indicated by the move over to AMD version numbers - it is referred to by Intel as Version: 18.6.1, published on Wednesday. So, this driver will transition your Kaby Lake G system from Crimson to Adrenalin graphics drivers. Obviously AMD has made quite a lot of driver changes during that time, so as well as the more fully featured Adrenalin base you will benefit from various games optimisations and bug removals.

I looked around at all the options for this chip and settled on the NUC. I hear I'm not alone.

Anyone have this NUC and can report if this new driver package allows you to switch between Vega and Intel? Anandtech's review had the main gripe that if you wanted this for htpc use also, the intel graphic decoders were not being utilized because everything was being forced thru vega.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1257...yon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked/7

A driver is not going to fix a hardware decision. There is no physical pipe from the DDI off the cpu to any of the connectors.

A driver is not going to fix a hardware decision. There is no physical pipe from the DDI off the cpu to any of the connectors.

Oh OK thanks for clarifying. Do all recent Intel chips come with the graphics processor on it? Why didn't they pair their chip without the graphics to the vega if they knew they would exclusively connect the video out parts to the vega chip?

Oh OK thanks for clarifying. Do all recent Intel chips come with the graphics processor on it? Why didn't they pair their chip without the graphics to the vega if they knew they would exclusively connect the video out parts to the vega chip?
Oh, that would be something! SLI AMD-Intel hehe. Dual graphics chip support is barely alive when using the same company, I doubt this ever had a chance.
Sorry had posts mixed in the brain.. anyway Probably its just cheaper.. Intel probably never makes silicon without the graphics, just turns it off and sells it as a chip without.

Do all recent intel chips come with the graphics processor on it?
Nearly all laptop chips have a HD630/UHD630 on them. Whether the vendor determines they want to route it is up to them.
Why didn't they pair their chip without the graphics to the vega if they knew they would exclusively connect the video out parts to the vega chip?
I don't think there are any non-igpu enabled laptop chips outside of the xeons models currently.

Thanks for replies. Makes sense. Make everything the same, and then turn off what you don't use, and only connect what you do want.

Back