Intel Unveils the Nervana Neural Network Processor

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Intel on Tuesday is taking the wraps off of the Nervana Neural Network Processor (NNP), formerly known as "Lake Crest," a chip three years in the making that's designed expressly for AI and deep learning. Along with explaining its unique architecture, Intel announced that Facebook has been a close collaborator as it prepares to bring the Nervana NNP to market. The chipmaker also laid out the beginnings of a product roadmap.

The Intel Nervana NNP promises to revolutionize AI computing across myriad industries. Using Intel Nervana technology, companies will be able to develop entirely new classes of AI applications that maximize the amount of data processed and enable customers to find greater insights – transforming their businesses. We have multiple generations of Intel Nervana NNP products in the pipeline that will deliver higher performance and enable new levels of scalability for AI models. This puts us on track to exceed the goal we set last year of achieving 100 times greater AI performance by 2020.

So it can help Facebook and Google give you ads faster, I can hardly contain my excitement......

Faster and more persuasively! "Come on man, you know you want this xxxxxx product!"

So it can help Facebook and Google give you ads faster, I can hardly contain my excitement......
  • Social media: Providers will be able to deliver a more personalized experience to their customers and offer more targeted reach to their advertisers.
Straight from the article, not joke........because deep learning and AI need to do this. /s
AKA they have hardware built in to spy on your activities no long have to have a secret app running in the background.

Last edited:
As long as (they) don`t put nnp in charge of SKYNET I`ll be okay(maybe!?!?!)

They wouldn't do that. They've got their 49 Qubit chip coming down the pipeline soon enough that they can use for that. Personally, I think Skynet will run on a custom Power PC chip. :p

• Social media: Providers will be able to deliver a more personalized experience to their customers and offer more targeted reach to their advertisers.
Straight from the article, not joke........because deep learning and AI need to do this. /s
No one fucking asked for this god damn it. Don't use some cool tech to shove more ads down our throats.

I'm waiting on the NNP AI Developers kits coming next. Want to power level your MMO character.. let it watch you play and learn... Then turn it loose? Because that would be kinda awesome.

All it needs is a battle-ready exoskeleton and a plasma rifle.

my-cpu-is-a-neural-net-processor-a-learning-computer.jpg
p

No one fucking asked for this god damn it. Don't use some cool tech to shove more ads down our throats.

No one asks for it, but no one wants to pay for it outright either.

Case in point, wonder what the attachment rate is for Patron for this site. Not that I'm asking for that to be disclosed, but I would bet it's not that high compared to daily traffic, ad revenue is more significant than donations, and this site has a lot higher percentage of readers who give a damn and have a decent living to afford it.

Some of the terminology that companies are using to determine the power of their AI platforms are becoming harder and harder to define. I don't think we're entering the realm of quantum AI, but invariably we are clearly advancing exponentially due to demand. Since the power of these devices really come down to the applications they will be powering, making bold claims are merely a way of saying 'just wait a little longer until we get to market'. Right now companies like Nvidia are delivering rediculous leaps in performance on a YEARLY basis. I know that there is a lot of money in the game and with Intels partnerships worldwide, they will have a say regardless of what their hardware comes down to. Is there a benchmark for products like this to determine raw output? I'm just not up to speed enough to understand the marketing claims yet.

No one asks for it, but no one wants to pay for it outright either.

Case in point, wonder what the attachment rate is for Patron for this site. Not that I'm asking for that to be disclosed, but I would bet it's not that high compared to daily traffic, ad revenue is more significant than donations, and this site has a lot higher percentage of readers who give a damn and have a decent living to afford it.
No but they are going way too far to shoving ads down our throats. She we even pay for still has ads plastered all over.

Back