Intel Unveils Compute Card, a Credit Card-Sized Compute Platform

HardOCP News

[H] News
Today, Intel is announcing a new modular compute platform called the Intel® Compute Card along with a range of partners who will be working with Intel to help accelerate the ecosystem of solutions based on the Intel Compute Card. Intel has been a leader in delivering technology to help realize the benefits of the Internet of Things and enable more smart and connected devices. The Intel Compute Card is being developed with that in mind, to transform the way compute and connectivity can be integrated and used in future devices.

The Intel Compute Card has all the elements of a full computer, including Intel SoC, memory, storage and wireless connectivity with flexible I/O options so hardware manufacturers can optimize for their particular solutions – from interactive refrigerators and smart kiosks to security cameras and IoT gateways. Device makers simply design a standard Intel Compute Card slot into their device and then utilize the best Intel Compute Card for their performance and price needs. This reduces the time and resources needed to design and validate the compute block and helps speed up innovation to bring the power of intelligence into an ever wider range of devices.

I remember the small PDAs that fit in a PC Card/PCMCIA slot. Unrelated. edit: I think those were called REX.

If compatible slots become common, this could make ultra portable PC computing possible.

Last edited:
I remember the small PDAs that fit in a PC Card/PCMCIA slot. Unrelated. edit: I think those were called REX.

If compatible slots become common, this could make ultra portable PC computing possible.

Haven't you heard of the compute stick?

Haven't you heard of the compute stick?
Yeah, I posted a thread about this product in the Intel forum before I saw this thread, comparing it to the compute stick. :p

The reason Intel is making this product is due to problems with the Compute Stick (which never caught on as well as similar Android devices), and how those can be solved through the use of docks.

So....Intel's version of the Raspberry? Might get one of these if the price is right for some ultra fast emulation :)

Neat. Coming soon to...nowhere near you. If Intel does actually release this thing it will be too expensive for mortals to mess with, for whatever performance ratio it can kick out.

I read an article about these that mentioned plugging them into displays, etc, to increase compute power without throwing a whole device away. Neat idea... will it ever happen? Nah, too much money being made by selling you whole new everything every other year.

Pentium 2's with case remade. A sure sign that AMD is coming back!
S_Intel-80523PX300512PE%20(ES%20front).jpg

Back