Intel Unveils 16 New Processors @ [H]

sign me up for a E8400! :eek:

CAN'T WAIT!!

(i'm still running on a A64 3200+!)

lol

Video encoding and professional 3D applications will likely see the largest increases but games do seem to like cache. So I think there will certainly be an improvement there.

I can already shrink movies in 2-3min with my [email protected]. That's pretty much the only thing that ever pushed my CPU to 100% and on both cores. So technically I don't need a new CPU as I'm extremely happy with mine. Having said that I'll probably sell it on Ebay and get a E8400 and try to get it to 4GHz on air. :cool:

I'm most interested in a wolfdale. I'll get a quad core when nehalem becomes reasonably priced next year. A wolfdale at 4 GHz should play most games and run the apps I use for that length of time. Should be a good upgrade from my opteron 170. :D

Have you seen the power consumption numbers? A e8200 uses less power under load than an X2 6000 does at idle.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolfdale_11.html#sect0

I know,its literally shocking to say the least.... AMD will once again in the coming weeks be forced to lower the price of thier chips even more.

Intel will simply transition to 45nm production through this year and they'll probably start cutting back on 65nm production as they upgrade plants to 45nm manufacturing technology.

Intel still has to sell what inventory (65nm) they still have.

Worse, once you get past the two EL Wolfdales (one of which lacks VT support, but costs no less than the one that includes it), the next up Wolfdale (E8400) will, at best, cost no more than Q6600 (the likely-soon-to-be-discounted-before-EOL entry-level Kentsfield) and could actually wind up *more* expensive than Q6600 depending on the depth of Intel inventory-pushing.

Why else would Intel cut Q6600 pricing? Simply put, to clear the decks for the new entry-level quad-core: Q9300 (which is at the current Q6600 price tag). With X38-based motherboards, it can directly replace either dual-core or quad-core processors (even better, in most cases, it will cost little more). Should AMD start a heavy round of Phenom price-cuts, Intel can then counter with discounted Q6600 *and* new Q9300, drowning AMD in Quality Intel Quads.

Between Yorkfield and discounted Kentsfield, it makes it really hard to justify settling for Wolfdale, let alone *anything* out of AMD other than Opteron.

This is kind of good news, except I just bought a Q6600 on Friday... It should arrive any day now.

the 6000+ is still a 90nm core, as is the 6400+. An overclocked brisbane would be a more accurate comparison of 65nm process CPUs. Yes, AMD is back into a corner now though, your right. They still have the budget market though, and this doesn't change that at all. AMD was never competing (unfortunately) with the high end.

AMD was never competing (unfortunately) with the high end.

AMD has been trying to compete in the high end market. That's what the Athlon 64 and FX chips were all about. The X2 was high end and now the Phenom is AMD's new high end CPU. The problem is that AMD's giving their best right now and it isn't good enough.

e8500 vs. Q9300 seems odd to me they are priced the same, wouldn't it seem more than worth it just to opt for the Q9300?

e8500 vs. Q9300 seems odd to me they are priced the same, wouldn't it seem more than worth it just to opt for the Q9300?

Well there is a huge speed difference there. If your applications only use 1-2 cores, the E8500 will be faster.

I was hoping Intel would stick to the rumors with the Q9550...so I'm there!
Just need to find a DDR2 board..really don't need SLI.

I was hoping Intel would stick to the rumors with the Q9550...so I'm there!
Just need to find a DDR2 board..really don't need SLI.

Maximus Formula. It overclocks very well and is rock solid stable. The Extreme version has a few more features but uses DDR3. It is also excellent but doesn't overclock as well.

would anyone with a 45nm quad clock it down to the speed of a q6600 and see how they compare.

Does anyone else think, "big deal" I have Q6600 at 2.7 Ghz air cooled at stock voltage and the stock intel heat sink. I just dont see any reason to get excited about these new chips.

Months ago yes,but now no.

The HUGE power saving features,the better performance stock or oc'd,the SSE4 stuff,the Radix-16 tech,bigger cache in general,etc...

The Q9300 will beat my Q6600 when both are stock.Oc'd with a good mobo @ high FSB,it'll dump alot less heat into my small Lian Li case,and give my HX520 a break.

Because of the overall IPC advanteges,etc,I wont have to aim for 3.3Ghz to match my current oc with a Q9300.I want to keep my quad,with an oc,but cut down the heat in my case a fair amount,and these little suckers will make that happen. :cool:

As for the Txxxx mobile parts, I'm pretty happy with the T7300 as is right now.

I've got my T7300 running at 0.9875 volts (with a 0.02 voltage bump from where its last prime95 stable overnight) and at 0.85 volts - the lowest VID the processor will allow in Low Frequency Mode. And performance is beyond anything I could ever need in a laptop, at least most of the time.

The T8xxx and T9xxx parts should be even lower voltage, but I'm already getting pretty good battery life as is.

OT: The "IDA" technology on the Core2duo laptop processors is working quite well for me. It will temporarily run one core at one extra multiplier, at the expense of shutting down the other core. Great for singular apps. Its a little gimmicky, but it does work.

Only question on my mind about the Txxxx processors is whether or not they are still going be be on the now ancient Socket 479.

Poor AMD. My Barton-M in the old machine just started sobbing/crying uncontrollably.

Poor me, my once top of the line P965 board has no bios update for any of these, I just started sobbing/crying uncontrollably.

Too bad we bought Gigabyte :(

Asus released new BIOS's for its 965 mobos to support the QX9650, so I'm sure all the new stuff, like the 9450,9550, etc... will be supported too.

Yea when I get my tax refund, I'm building a new system around an E8400. I wonder what mobo to pair that up with? I guess I can start doing the research now.

how many programs even take advantage of two?

Well 2 is nice because you can do two processor intensive tasks at once w/o noticing a slow down... But most applications that use 2 will also use 4.

All in all, I'd rather go for more cores than faster speed, as it will last longer and speed can always be increased pretty easily through OCing.

So, is there really a performance difference between the Q9450 and the Q9550 when overclocked? All I want is to be able to reach 4.0GHz stable on air. Then I will bust out the water cooling and see how much farther I can go
smile.gif

But seriously, is there going to be a noticeable difference in the Q9550 for $215 more? Unlocked multiplier? Binned higher? Anything?

Maximus Formula. It overclocks very well and is rock solid stable. The Extreme version has a few more features but uses DDR3. It is also excellent but doesn't overclock as well.

Have you tried (for the DDR2 version) 4x1GB of Ballistix with the board? I've been reading of some people having issues with the board and that memory. Have you heard anything similar?

Have you tried (for the DDR2 version) 4x1GB of Ballistix with the board? I've been reading of some people having issues with the board and that memory. Have you heard anything similar?

No. For motherboard testing I use Corsair XMS 2/3 modules of different speeds and OCZ Flex XLC PC2-9200 DDR2 1150MHz memory modules. I rarely do 4x1GB testing and Kyle doesn't do it anymore. He got tired of spending hours on each board trying to make 4x1GB configurations work when often they wouldn't.

Asus released new BIOS's for its 965 mobos to support the QX9650, so I'm sure all the new stuff, like the 9450,9550, etc... will be supported too.

Its not so much BIOS support - its voltage support that is important. Anyone who has ever gotten an engineering sample CPU will know that many times you can stick a next gen processor in an old motherboard that does not officially have bios support (yet) and many times it will just boot up with an "unknown CPU ID" As long as the voltages and amperages are within tolerance and the socket has not changed (usually a single pin identifier in one of the corners) many times it will run.

So, is there really a performance difference between the Q9450 and the Q9550 when overclocked? All I want is to be able to reach 4.0GHz stable on air. Then I will bust out the water cooling and see how much farther I can go
smile.gif

But seriously, is there going to be a noticeable difference in the Q9550 for $215 more? Unlocked multiplier? Binned higher? Anything?

The 8x multiplier on the Q9450 will limit overclocks somewhat, although the 8.5x multi on the Q9550 is only slightly better in that regard.

It will come down to your mobo FSB limit more than anything. 4GHz would need a 500MHz FSB on a Q9450, I don't think many mobos can do such a high FSB with quads. The Q9550 would have a slightly easier time getting 4GHz, but is it really worth the premium just to obtain that extra 100 - 200MHz?

Funny you mention that Dan as that is the first one on my list. Thanks for the advice!

Funny you mention that Dan as that is the first one on my list. Thanks for the advice!

This last year there were two boards that stood out among the rest. The Blitz Formula, and the Maximus Formula. I also liked the Maximus Extreme, but I tend to discount it due to the price of DDR3 memory and the little bennefit it offers at present.

This last year there were two boards that stood out among the rest. The Blitz Formula, and the Maximus Formula. I also liked the Maximus Extreme, but I tend to discount it due to the price of DDR3 memory and the little bennefit it offers at present.

So if you were building an entirely new rig from scratch, you be installing either a Blitz or Maximus?

That makes my choices a whole lot easier!

So if you were building an entirely new rig from scratch, you be installing either a Blitz or Maximus?

That makes my choices a whole lot easier!

I'd be using the Maximus Formula. Without question. Of course the only reason I'm not using that board now is because I am heavily invested in SLI.

I'd be using the Maximus Formula. Without question. Of course the only reason I'm not using that board now is because I am heavily invested in SLI.

Great, thanks!

Looks like my first Intel rig (for myself) in a good long time will be built once the Q9450 hits.

So there is no hardware limitation for using these on 965 boards. Thats good to know. Now I have to find out if Abit is going to release a bios for the QuadGT that will support these

QFT

The only reason I can see for E8500 is for E67X0 upgraders that have no interest in quad-core of any sort (not just Q9300, but even Q6700/Q6600, both of which are up for price-cuts before being EOLed).

However, between the new entry-level Yorkfield and discounted Kentsfields, pretty much the *only* reason for Wolfdale is for overclocking (despite quad-core still being mostly overkill, discounted Q6600/Q6700 and the new Q9300 are not *that* much higher than E8400 and are one heck of a safety net).

One year ago, quad-core was considered not only overkill, but expensive. Within one month, there will be no less than three sub-$300USD quad-cores from Intel. At that level, those are decidedly mainstream-priced CPUs. So what if it's still largely overkill? At those prices, it's decidedly easily *affordable* overkill.

If you're a multitasker, a SLACR (G0) Q6600 or Q6700 after the upcoming price cuts will be the biggest bargain in Intel Land since the Last Great Northwood-C Push.

Well 2 is nice because you can do two processor intensive tasks at once w/o noticing a slow down... But most applications that use 2 will also use 4.

All in all, I'd rather go for more cores than faster speed, as it will last longer and speed can always be increased pretty easily through OCing.

The biggest reason for going with more cores (as opposed to a faster clocking) is the operating system itself, *unless* you run OS X. Any OS that is HT-aware is also going to be multicore-aware. The newer the OS is, the more (not less) likely that it can take advantage of four (or more) cores; this is especially true of the 64-bit operating systems (Windows/Linux/Solaris). Throw in a multicore-aware task management system (such as the one in Windows Vista) that allows you to assign child processes to otherwise-idle cores and you can reduce non-sequential task/process bottlenecking to zero.

Man this is totally frustrating. I really want to know if and when they are releasing the Skulltrail motherboard and for how much because then I`ll decide to wait for the 2 Quad-core Xeon X3350. Or else I will go for the Q9450. I`m wondering if the Q9450 worth that much of an upgrade over my Q6600. I know the 2 Xeon will kick total ass but it`ll come down on how much the Skulltrail be going for.

The Q9450 is listed as $318. I wonder what the price will be at releasing. $350 maybe?

To me, the biggest reason to wait for the E8400 over buying a E6x50 now is the savings in power. Granted none of the Core2Duo's are very power hungry, but compared to ye olde Northwood and Prescotts, there is huge savings. I like cool and quiet. My current rig is a Socket 754 board with an AMD laptop Turion64 MT-40 CPU at 25W.

I leave my PC on 24/7/365. It's worth waiting a month for the Wolfdale.

-Robert

To me, the biggest reason to wait for the E8400 over buying a E6x50 now is the savings in power. Granted none of the Core2Duo's are very power hungry, but compared to ye olde Northwood and Prescotts, there is huge savings. I like cool and quiet. My current rig is a Socket 754 board with an AMD laptop Turion64 MT-40 CPU at 25W.

I leave my PC on 24/7/365. It's worth waiting a month for the Wolfdale.

-Robert

I don't guess I've worried about power consumption, just heat. I still maintain that overclocking will be the reason to grab the 45nm CPUs more than anything. So far results seem to be very good on that front.

I just want to know where the Q9450 is. My Q6600 is going away today, and I'm sad. I'll either have to find another one or run an older chip for while until they come out.

The question is are we talking 1 month? 3 months? What? Q1 is pretty vague.

I just want to know where the Q9450 is. My Q6600 is going away today, and I'm sad. I'll either have to find another one or run an older chip for while until they come out.

The question is are we talking 1 month? 3 months? What? Q1 is pretty vague.

Q1 is in March. Crap. I thought I saw January.

Back