Intel Uncloaks Next-Gen 'Braswell' Atom

So does this mean the cheapest Chromebooks will finally go back to low wattage like they were three years ago?

So does this mean the cheapest Chromebooks will finally go back to low wattage like they were three years ago?

ChromeOS is not Android. They run i3 based Celerons for a reason.

Does anyone care about atom chips anymore? They've always ran like piss slow.

BRoadwell + hASWELL = BRASWELL

I know its an Atom chip, but this naming weirdness popped into my head.

You have some catching up to do.

Maybe for tablets it's fast, but for desktops it's slow. The only exception is the Intel Atom C2750, which is impressive but very expensive. An Intel Core 2 Duo from 2008 would still perform better and is dirt cheap. Specifically the Intel Atom Z3770. Not the same TDP but the price is right.

Maybe for tablets it's fast, but for desktops it's slow. The only exception is the Intel Atom C2750, which is impressive but very expensive. An Intel Core 2 Duo from 2008 would still perform better and is dirt cheap. Specifically the Intel Atom Z3770. Not the same TDP but the price is right.

Considering atoms were created for ultra portables and tablets I hardly see why we should bring up its performance compared to something that will consume 10x the power to barely beat it on a platform it isn't intended for.

An Intel Core 2 Duo from 2008 would still perform better and is dirt cheap. Specifically the Intel Atom Z3770. Not the same TDP but the price is right.

Performance wise a Core 2 Duo from 2008 using an IGP isn't going to blow past a Bay Trail. They'd be pretty close with the Core 2 Duo needing like 5 to 6 the power to do it.

Braswell is a 14 nanometer, 64-bit KitKat 4.4.2 kernel.

Wow... a 14 nanometer kernel. Do the programmers work with electro-tunnel microscopes?

Performance wise a Core 2 Duo from 2008 using an IGP isn't going to blow past a Bay Trail. They'd be pretty close with the Core 2 Duo needing like 5 to 6 the power to do it.

That sounds more like you are comparing the IGP from 6 years ago, when it was total garbage to the IGP from today. I would hope it is MUCH better today even in a tablet SoC. The Intel IGP from 2008 was total garbage.

Now how about CPU vs CPU?

My brother used an atom (2G ram XP) in his main desktop machine for years. Then he had a kid & wanted to do blu-ray encoding/editing of the videos he took of his daughter.

He went from atom 330 -> i7-3770.

That sounds more like you are comparing the IGP from 6 years ago, when it was total garbage to the IGP from today. I would hope it is MUCH better today even in a tablet SoC. The Intel IGP from 2008 was total garbage.

Now how about CPU vs CPU?

In 2008 it was like the GMA 3100 or the 4500MHD right? They were both kinda lame (I just upgraded to a 3100 like a month ago from a GMA 950 which was a really good change), but Intel was just starting to get a little more serious about IGP performance with the GMA series and it took them a while to start going places. Still though, a laptop or desktop CPU from that era is going to be a lot more powerful than a quad core Atom. They were like targeted at different market segments and Intel is forever keeping the Atom as their power efficient low end design so it'll take a long time before it really catches up in performance to processors that have a bigger power and heat budget that are for sale right now.

That would be a serious trade off between performance and low power, and not necessarily lead to longer battery run times in actual Chromebooks.

Sure, Atom-based Chromebooks may use less power, but the Haswell Celeron based Chromebooks (a few of which have excellent battery life) will run rings around those Braswell Atoms in performance and responsiveness.

Sure, Atom-based Chromebooks may use less power, but the Haswell Celeron based Chromebooks (a few of which have excellent battery life) will run rings around those Braswell Atoms in performance and responsiveness.

If the world was only looking for high performance, it's unlikely that tablets would have ever taken off. As if often mentioned when talking of laptops and desktops, there's point where the performance is good enough. These new Atoms are brining good enough performance even to the desktop light to moderate load scenarios. And with something like a Chromebook that's little more than just a web browser anyway, how much performance would the average user even care about before things like weight, thickness, heat and battery life would come into play?

If the world was only looking for high performance

Good point above. You're like constantly telling me my computers are "crap" and not fast enough, but you're here saying that performance doesn't matter. It's always an argument presented to be all super-duper contrary and silly. You never make sense at all....ever.

How do you pronounce the name?

bra - swell?

:confused:

:D
or maybe

bras (bra plural) - swell ??

Mr-Green-smiley.png

yeah...the higher performing ones in a given form factor are better selling, but the whole point of something like braswell or baytrail is that it allows much smaller form factors/significantly more battery life.

Good point above. You're like constantly telling me my computers are "crap" and not fast enough, but you're here saying that performance doesn't matter. It's always an argument presented to be all super-duper contrary and silly. You never make sense at all....ever.

Odd statement coming from someone that frequently compares laptops to tablets and is generally dismissing tablets because of secondary storage space.

Odd statement coming from someone that frequently compares laptops to tablets and is generally dismissing tablets because of secondary storage space.

It's almost like people on here are out of touch with usage cases outside of what they specifically have and want.

I like comparing laptops to tablets because laptops are much more betterer for what I do. I also almost always say like that it's about how I use a computer and I'm eleventy million percents aware that I'm talking about an opinion. You...well you think you're factual when you're sharing opinions and that's just silly-headed.

Back