Intel: ultrabook prices will drop to $699, 75 new designs already in the pipeline

blitzio

Weaksauce
"After teasing 50 new ultrabook designs for CES earlier this year, Intel's now promising we'll see 75 even newer SKUs over the coming months. The x86 chip designer and producer is feeling bullish about its future laptop strategy and even forecasts that entry-level prices for ultrabooks will dip below the $700 mark in time for the back-to-school shopping period this autumn. Aggressive pricing wasn't supposed to be at the core of the ultrabook ethos (and Acer even told us that $799 prices aren't sustainable), but Intel clearly appreciates the pressure it's under from ARM-based devices, whether they be tablets like the iPad or forthcoming laptops running Windows 8."

"Among the multivariate OEM ultrabook designs to come — most of them likely relying on the imminent Ivy Bridge CPU — will be hybrid touchscreen devices, which will be able to alternate between the laptop and tablet form factors. Nothing is being left to chance with Intel's Ivy Bridge ultrabook push, which includes a big-budget advertising campaign and will be augmented with dedicated ultrabook demo zones in stores, serving to differentiate those products from regular laptops. And lest you're worried so much variety and choice will dilute the meaning of the term "ultrabook," IDG News quotes Intel's Kirk Skaugen as saying the company "plans to ensure ultrabooks have a consistent experience. And if it's too thick it won't be called an ultrabook."

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/11/2940525/intel-ultrabook-price-699-75-new-designs

Yeah, touch screen ultrabooks that are Windows 8 ready, those will sell very well. Also would love to see an ultrabook convertible tablet PC or hybrid that allows for the screen to be detached as well as Wacom pen based devices. If the prices are good a lot of potential for OEMs especially if Windows 8 is solid on touch devices with a good number of Metro apps at launch.

Can't wait, between ultrabooks, windows 8, ivy bridge, Kepler, and the potential MacBook pro refresh... going to be an exciting time in the laptop space!

Waiting for an ultrabook tablet, replace the keyboard with a touch screen, keep the lid (protection+), give me a wacom pen for under $1100 and I'd be in heaven!

Give me the boot option for a tablet version of Win8 and full version of Win8, best of all worlds.

If you can have both bootables, would you be able to share the same file system?

I got tired of waiting for ultra book and settled for Dell 15z =(

That wasn't a bad settle though. The 15z is a good laptop for the price. My wife almost got an ultrabook for her last laptop but we settled on a 13" sony with a slice battery because she still wanted an optical drive and matte screen.

Right now I don't feel bad about any tech that is out there. All the major players are working their asses off for our $ and really trying to understand the market and where it is going.

I want a 13" convertible laptop/tablet with a minimum of a 1680x1050 led multi touch pen friendly screen that is able to run games like wow and ddo at medium+ settings at native resolution.

That would cost a pretty penny.

I'll be happy if I can get an x230 from Lenovo with the IPS screen, Ivy Bridge (for decent integrated graphics), and an SSD for around 1k. But my hopes are not overly high.

Most of this is uninteresting but if they start making this like the good old convertible tablets that would be great and hopefully it would bleed up into full powered laptops.

I would be interested in something like covepoint. Actually my biggest problem is, why do they not offer laptops in EVERY size as convertible tablets. If they made a 20 inch convertible tablet I would buy it and every size down from that. As long as I could get good specs in the machine. I am tired of this stupid unwritten rule which says anything in a tablet form has to be at best a basic laptop at the bottom end of specs and most of the time even worse a glorified phone.

That wasn't a bad settle though. The 15z is a good laptop for the price. My wife almost got an ultrabook for her last laptop but we settled on a 13" sony with a slice battery because she still wanted an optical drive and matte screen.

Right now I don't feel bad about any tech that is out there. All the major players are working their asses off for our $ and really trying to understand the market and where it is going.

agree. there is so much competition in this market right now, and with so many sales of awesome laptops all the time, im surprised they can all stay in the game when everyone only replaces their laptop every few years. im glad to see more innovation and push to satisfy the customer in the laptop arena lately, just hope its sustainable.

I want a 13" convertible laptop/tablet with a minimum of a 1680x1050 led multi touch pen friendly screen that is able to run games like wow and ddo at medium+ settings at native resolution.

basically my sig for the past 6 months. :p although i want a slightly bigger screen, detachable not just convertible, and the pen i could go either way on since im out of school and cant take my work home with me.

Yeah this is pretty much exactly what I have been waiting for too. I've avoided the tablet frenzy because I would never be satisfied with the limitations of a mobile OS on a device that can't fit in my pocket. And my Toshiba Satellite is definitely showing it's age (and weight). I've been pondering for an upgrade of some kind...and I sense a perfect storm is brewing...

However I will still be requiring a traditional keyboard, and would ideally like it to be permanently attached. Juggling two individual pieces is not what I have in mind.

Some updates.

Ultrabook prices soon to take a dive with plastic material used.

A report from Focus Taiwan confirms that much cheaper Ultrabooks are around the corner. The Ultrabook market has remained very pricey no thanks to expensive all-aluminum chassis' people could often care less about.

Intel's Taiwan chief Jason Chen has stated that in the second half of this year "it is likely there will be US$599 models in selected regions, but the mainstream price should fall around US$699." Chen believes that as a result of a significant price drop, Ultrabooks will end up accounting for between 30 and 40% of all notebook shipments for the year.

The new breed of upcoming cheaper ultrabooks will comprise a combination of cheaper materials, with the casing itself to use fiberglass-reinforced plastic that has been claimed by Intel to respond similarly to metal chassis' in torque tests. There will also be select models that sport aluminum-coated plastic chassis'.

Source: http://vr-zone.com/articles/ultrabo...lastic-material-used/15775.html#ixzz1tzUyf7cx

I want a convertible 12 to 13 inch with ips screen and good wacom digitizer plus win8. Make it so! Oh and ivy bridge.

Last edited:
Back