Intel to Split Manufacturing Branch Into Three Divisions

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The Oregonian says that Intel will split its manufacturing and technology group into three different segments. Mike Mayberry, head of Intel labs, will lead the technology division. Ann Kelleher will lead manufacturing and operations, while Randhir Thakur will run the supply chain branch. Sohail Ahmed, who led the manufacturing division since 2016, will retire, and former Qualcomm executive Venkata "Murthy" Renduchintala will supervise all three divisions. This shakeup comes after long delays of the deployment of Intel's 10nm process, which was supposed to be ready in the second half of 2016.

"Thanks to the efforts of Sohail and the entire Intel team, we are making good progress on 10nm," Renduchintala wrote to employees Monday. "Yields are improving consistent with the timeline that we shared in April, and we continue to expect systems on shelves for the 2019 holiday season." Intel has been without a chief executive since June, when Brian Krzanich abruptly resigned after the company uncovered "a past consensual relationship with an Intel employee" in violation of corporate policy. Chief Financial Officer Bob Swan is serving as interim CEO.

Pre partial spinoff maneuver?
Possibly, but given the working relationship between Intel and TSMC I would bet they find a way in the future to license/buy access to their manufacturing process. Intel and TSMC aren’t competitors but if they sold off their manufacturing decisions who ever bought that up sure as hell would be. Unless they sold it to TSMC then things get interesting...

Massive wave of layoffs coming. 20-30% of workforce is about to get the axe.

Expect more outsourcing to India in the wake of reduction of domestic workforce.

And I'm calling it now, no 10nm mainstream availability until 2020.

You dont just disrupt to disrupt,,,,,, unless you are a Dane thats a member of the ruling elite.

Ve vill split mahnufacturing ihnto TREE divisions, und zhen ... VE MARCH ON POLAND!

(sings) "Intel, Intel, uber alles ... Uber alles in der Welt!"

P.S. Apologies to my German friends.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Massive wave of layoffs coming. 20-30% of workforce is about to get the axe.

Expect more outsourcing to India in the wake of reduction of domestic workforce.

And I'm calling it now, no 10nm mainstream availability until 2020.

hmmm. Not sure what you are talking about lol. Are you talking everyone is about to get fired in the U.S? or Are you just talking about intel. As far as I know company I work for is about to hire another 5 to 10k employees in january. lol.

Ve vill split mahnufacturing ihnto TREE divisions, und zhen ... VE MARCH ON POLAND!

(sings) "Intel, Intel, uber alles ... Uber alles in der Welt!"

P.S. Apologies to my German friends.
You realize that Germany was allied with Russia at the beginning of WWII, and that the portion of Poland they were invading was originally land that was Germany from pre-WWI, right?
So, if Poland represents AMD, and Russia represents ARM, and they are going to take back what x86-64 market share was originally Intel's, then... that makes quite the analogue of what is about to happen on the CPU ISA front, err, I mean eastern front! :p

"... that makes quite the analogue of what is about to happen on the CPU ISA front, err, I mean eastern front! :p

"Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic manufacturing blunders - the most famous of which is, 'never get involved in a labor price war with Asia'."

I heard that the secret code names for these new branches are Larry, Curly, and Moe.

ThreeStooges.jpg

hmmm. Not sure what you are talking about lol. Are you talking everyone is about to get fired in the U.S? or Are you just talking about intel. As far as I know company I work for is about to hire another 5 to 10k employees in january. lol.

Just talking about Intel specifically.

So who's going to get the blame then for the lack of 10nm?

Back