Intel to ditch Pentium Name

iridium... it's one of the 2 heaviest elements known to man (osmium is the other one... and nobody can tell which is heavier for some reason)

info can be found here.

That wouldn't be a first for Intel...One element 105 was called "unnilpentium". So they already grabbed one name off the table directly. Many people thought it was an (un)original, element-ish sounding name, but they actually got it from the element.

starhawk said:
iridium... it's one of the 2 heaviest elements known to man (osmium is the other one... and nobody can tell which is heavier for some reason)

info can be found here.
Interesting. And who says that you only learn computer, stuff here now this is turning into a science class. Ok starhawk you win I like yours the best, is actually kind of catchy.

Iridium is taken, sort of. It is (was?) a satellite phone outfit, and a pretty prominent one during the '90s. Obviously, satellite phone is only feasible to the rich and famous, but it's fairly well known in the same way that Lamorghini is well known to the consumer.

I think intel is moving away from the "pentium" name BECAUSE the next chip in line is the Pentium 5. I've heard several non techy people and even a few geeks refer to the original Pentium as the "Pentium 5" because most people now days expect the Pentium designation to come with a number. I assume they called it the Pentium 5 because it came after the 486. I think they may be trying to avoid an old school (well, sort of) vs new school vs neophyte mass confusion over what people are referring to by the Pentium 5

P.S. I like the Sempr0n's name :D

Even starting with Pentium 2 the name was a bit silly, since the Pentium was a way of saying that it came after 486s. So it was like "Number 5.. 2" instead of 6. Then "Number 5... 3", instead of 7.

Going to Pentium 5 would just be reaching a point of redundancy that I think all the Intel engineers would just shoot themselves.

By choosing a name as generic as Digital, they can just start over numbering, and never run into a point where the name just doesn't make any sense.

undyingshadow said:
I think intel is moving away from the "pentium" name BECAUSE the next chip in line is the Pentium 5. I've heard several non techy people and even a few geeks refer to the original Pentium as the "Pentium 5" because most people now days expect the Pentium designation to come with a number. I assume they called it the Pentium 5 because it came after the 486. I think they may be trying to avoid an old school (well, sort of) vs new school vs neophyte mass confusion over what people are referring to by the Pentium 5
I agree somewhat. Also, "pent" implies 5 so it's redundant.

The reason why the original Pentium was referred to as the Pentium 5 was because its codename was P5, kind of like AMD's K6, K7, K8, etc.

http://www.sandpile.org/impl/p5.htm

afong said:
Even starting with Pentium 2 the name was a bit silly, since the Pentium was a way of saying that it came after 486s. So it was like "Number 5.. 2" instead of 6. Then "Number 5... 3", instead of 7.
Well I think the reason they kept the name was obvious, it was a marketing success!

Hey, while you guys are at it, what about thinking of new names for the Geforce line of video cards thats way overdue for a name change. I think even ATI's Radeon series could use one as well. I never knew if I should say Rade-on or Rade-E-on for that one.

Oh yeah, I liked Iridium, but how about thinking of one that has to do with heat or something like that? Their chips are not all that heavy, but they sure are hot!

Intel Thermium CPU
nVIDIA xForce 5 Chipset
nVIDIA Quantum 7000 Graphics Card
nVIDIA Movus 7000 Mobility Graphics Card
ATi XRaid C900 Chipset
ATi XRaid M900 Mobility Graphics Card
ATi XRaid X900 Graphics Card

xonik said:
I agree somewhat. Also, "pent" implies 5 so it's redundant.

The reason why the original Pentium was referred to as the Pentium 5 was because its codename was P5, kind of like AMD's K6, K7, K8, etc.

http://www.sandpile.org/impl/p5.htm

Ahh but the Pentium Pro was a P6 core and the Pentium II/III all were based on the P6, yet it kept the Pentium name.

Intel quit making sense when they introduced the Pentium Pro as a server processor in 1995.

I think Intel should pick one of thier better codenames for a processor and use that. Gallatin wouldn't have been to bad. Coppermine was a good one. I'm sure they could come up with something that doesn't reek of marketting executive ignorance like "digital".

Besides Digital Equipment Corporation already had the "Digital Dec Alpha".

actually the pentium pro was a p1 with an onboard syscache (l2 cache). no real difference between them other than that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro

Here's an idea: if Intel moves the Pentium-M to the desktop, why not call it "Centrino Desktop"? They've had great marketing success with "Centrino Mobile Technology," why not capitalize on that, just like they did with the Pentium name?

insanarchist said:
INTRODUCING the Intel Shittium XP Processor! :rolleyes:
:D :D ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! very funny... don't even have to look at your sig to know that your comp runs on a processor whose name starts with "a" and ends with "thlon"... i may be going amd myself this xmas. can't wait to see if i wind up eating my words about amd procs being worse than intels'...

Since they have those blue bozos doing those commercials they should name it blue something... tru-blu extreme 4ghz... stealing from the blu-ray folks and antec at the same time... and keeping the noob extreme name.. :rolleyes:

starhawk said:
:D :D ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! very funny... don't even have to look at your sig to know that your comp runs on a processor whose name starts with "a" and ends with "thlon"... i may be going amd myself this xmas. can't wait to see if i wind up eating my words about amd procs being worse than intels'...

Hah, actually every system I have listed is a Pentium; my comments were more geared towards the new procs vs. the old... but thanks for playing! :p

DanK said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_Pro

Here's an idea: if Intel moves the Pentium-M to the desktop, why not call it "Centrino Desktop"? They've had great marketing success with "Centrino Mobile Technology," why not capitalize on that, just like they did with the Pentium name?
they wont do that becuase the whole point about the centrino campaign has been mobility, and you cant be mobile with a desktop

Loki008 said:
they wont do that becuase the whole point about the centrino campaign has been mobility, and you cant be mobile with a desktop

What are you talking about? I bring my desktop with me all the time :D

Let's go with Octium, and skip a couple numbers while they're at it.

Robert

lol we need to submit this thread to Intel to give them some ideas, yeah the pentium name needs to be ditched, and Digital is just retarted.

I still am waiting to see the cooling solution for the Dual Cores coming out sometime within the next year. Lol maybe theyll be watercooling only processors :p

starhawk said:
actually the pentium pro was a p1 with an onboard syscache (l2 cache). no real difference between them other than that.

That's not really true, the Pentium Pro was a new core. It had almost twice as many transistors, was the first to feature out of order execution, and could process 3 instructions per clock instead of the 2 for the Pentium. It also had a 14-stage pipe instead of 5.

And the prices sure helped to reflect that. In fact, it never reached the mass consumer market...by that time, the Pentium II was cheaper and faster. It would be right to say that processor was more of the same when compared to the Pentium Pro.

When Pentium Pro was announced, it got the same reaction as Digital is getting now. What about us who were still using the Pentium, were we amateurs? Except now that I think about it, Digital is even more unoriginal and uninspired than Pentium Pro was. I don't think they have a chance in hell at trademarking the name Digital, not that they'd have to worry about anyone trying to steal it. Should I come out with a new brand of watch and name it "Analog"? Sometimes I wish we could go back to the old 80X86 days. People are not afraid of numbers and letters anymore. Look at Mercedes...they still make the S600!

Maybe a combination like Digium :p

I like Coppermine, and this time with copper.

Vette

Black Morty Rackham said:
"Digitium"? :p

Pentium, Itanium... the -ium seems like something of a pattern. Then again, there's also Celeron, but nobody buys that, right? Right? :(
I don't think I can say "Digitium"

haha anything that has been suggested is better than "Digital". I mean, if I were a comp n00b, I'd be like A64 or Digital...err, Digital ends up sounding so low tech...damn...even Pentium 5 would be more "cool" sounding. :/

Hmmmm Intel.... Electrosis? donno... heh.. They need to keep the pentium name imo... Yeah definately, or use a foreign word that sounds cool but means something stupid or clever.

Someone told me that all of the Intel brand names (such as pentium, xeon, itanium, etc along with the names of their architectures) are all the names of citys and towns in some state...oregon or neveda or somewhere...i 4get exactly...anyway, i think its actually true bc i know someone who has Family in a town called pentium and another friend who lives in norwood (or however you spell it). ne way, just food for thought i guess... :p

Lucidguy_3000 said:
Someone told me that all of the Intel brand names (such as pentium, xeon, itanium, etc along with the names of their architectures) are all the names of citys and towns in some state...oregon or neveda or somewhere...i 4get exactly...anyway, i think its actually true bc i know someone who has Family in a town called pentium and another friend who lives in norwood (or however you spell it). ne way, just food for thought i guess... :p
Sort of.

I don't think the brand names are based on geographical locations.

Pentium - a word based on the number 5 (it was the fifth major Intel architecture)
Xeon - a cross between the xenon and neon chemical elements
Itanium - based on the strong and rare transition metal titanium
Centrino - ???

Now technological codenames of Intel products seem to be named after cities, rivers, and mountains in the Pacific Northwest.

Why the fuck don't they use Intel Pentium D?
They have Celeron D for Desktops, Pentium M for mobile computers... why not Pentium D for Desktops!? Add Celeron M for mobile computers and you got an entire comprehensive line of cpus!!! I just don't get it...

edit: There actually IS a line of Celeron's with the M Moniker...
http://www.intel.com/products/notebook/processors/celeron_m/

Good game, Intel... just add the goddamn Pentium D!

Pentium D 755 sounds good...

Back