Intel to Detail Xe Graphics on August 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

erek

[H]F Junkie
"These technical reveals are closely timed with the launch of "Tiger Lake," Intel's first commercial debut of Xe as an iGPU solution the chipmaker refers to as "Gen12" for consistency with older generations of integrated graphics. Xe is far from designed for just iGPU or small dGPUs, with the architecture being scalable all the way up to large scalar compute processors the size of beer mug coasters. Even as an iGPU, Xe is formidable, as it was recently shown playing AAA games by itself. Recent commentary from Intel at its Q2 2020 financial results provided strong hints of Xe dGPUs being de-coupled from Intel's foundry woes, and possibly headed for third-party foundries such as Samsung or TSMC."

https://www.techpowerup.com/270333/intel-to-detail-xe-graphics-on-august-13

Intel is just trying to pretend they're still relevant.

How about some nerds from [H]ard get together and form a CPU/GPU laboratory?

Intel is just trying to pretend they're still relevant.

How about some nerds from [H]ard get together and form a CPU/GPU laboratory?
Actually, I'm excited for Intel's GPU's. Since AMD helped make the PS4 and Xbox One I don't think AMD wanted to compete against Nvidia since it might have been against Sony's and Microsoft's best interests. I can't imagine Sony and Microsoft being happy that PC gaming had evolved graphics so quickly after the launch of the PS4 and XB1. Now we'll see Navi 2 just before the PS5 and Xbox Series X, and you know anything based on RDNA2 will probably be $700+ graphic cards. With Intel throwing their hat into the GPU market ring, I feel that Intel has no reason not to do well, especially since Apple is going to dump them fairly soon. I doubt their first generation of products will be impressive, but so long as they price competitively against AMD and Nvidia then we'll see some serious shit.

Actually, I'm excited for Intel's GPU's. I doubt their first generation of products will be impressive, but so long as they price competitively against AMD and Nvidia then we'll see some serious shit.

I'm not, it's more than likely going to be more of the same failure we've seen from them since the i740 in 1998. Intel has been trying to "graphics" for decades, and fallen flat on their face every single time. They're synonymous with basic pedestrian video solutions only really good for office PCs and playing games a decade or two older than themselves adequately.

The way Intel is spinning it, it looks like it's going to be more for compute tasks than gaming.

The rumor of a 3090 could be a card they can put out if Intel (or AMD) are more ambitious than expected. How much faster that could be and how they can do it is interesting. People expect a 3080 ti early this time around.

Intel is the leader, by far, in graphics market share if we include integrated. That should count for something.

Of course they're the leader in market share, they have iGPUs in almost all of their consumer chips, and before that was a thing, it was in the chipset on the motherboard.

It's like saying a library is a leader at having books, or Ford being a leader having Triton engines in their vehicles.

For me, the issue is almost more related to ethics rather than raw performance. And quantity is not a factor that encourages me. I'm an enthusiast. Only performance and features matter. Intel's graphics can be in a million laptops, but at the end of the day, we all either go to our desktop to game on our AMD/Nvidia powered machine, or we heckin' wish we had one instead of an Intel laptop.

As for ethics, Intel's strange behavior regarding that benchmark website that ranks mysteriously high in search results is incredibly discouraging. Among other behaviors. Intel has a very dark and wicked track record. Don't act naive about this. Naivety is a death sentence and reality is the executioner.

Even if Intel was somehow offering a powerful, feature rich, and good value GPU, I'd remain skeptical, simply for the fact that Intel doesn't mind looking at us as "consumers," in the most pathetic, condescending sense of the word.

As members of one of the ultimate forums centered around computer technology, we have a duty to protect the people who might not know exactly how troublesome faith in Intel can be. We saw what happened before. We know it could happen again.

It's not like the old days either, when we had ATI, 3dfx, Orchid, Silicon Graphics, and the others. We have three options.

If Intel and AMD both offer incredibly good products in the next two or three generations, it could wipe Nvidia out for good. Then we have two.

If Big Navi is gonna be big, then in a year or three, Bigger Big Navi will be even more formidable. And Nvidia 4000? I'm drooling just thinking about inserting something that powerful into my motherboard.

I personally am not exactly a fan of Nvidia, but to be honest, I really do admire them and their incredibly powerful chips.
They do good stuff, not just on the technological level, but also working as competition to keep prices down. Or is AMD the one pushing the prices down?

Competition is good for us enthusiasts because I actually would like to afford the highest-end, coolest, newest technology, without feeling like I'm making some stupid financial decision. Essentially, this means that Intel should not be given more kindness than they've given us.

However, if they offer a product, let it enter the ring and fight: Hopefully fairly.

But I know that Nvidia likes to give a one-two KO punch to anyone who dares tread on a motherboard's 16x PCIe slot.
That top slot belongs to Nvidia at just about any price point, and only a philosophical hand wave can get anyone to look at AMD's offerings. (Linux.)
Maybe Big Navi will change that. Maybe Intel will change that.

But I won't forget what Intel has done in the past. And the dark truth is that they are not run by engineers or spunky innovators. They're run by people who see you and I as their prey. Crops to harvest. Lambs to the slaughter. Dollars in their pocket.

And I highly doubt they will prove me wrong.

Last edited:
I'm not, it's more than likely going to be more of the same failure we've seen from them since the i740 in 1998. Intel has been trying to "graphics" for decades, and fallen flat on their face every single time. They're synonymous with basic pedestrian video solutions only really good for office PCs and playing games a decade or two older than themselves adequately.

The way Intel is spinning it, it looks like it's going to be more for compute tasks than gaming.
What about the larrabee failure?

But I won't forget what Intel has done in the past. And the dark truth is that they are not run by engineers or spunky innovators. They're run by people who see you and I as their prey. Crops to harvest. Lambs to the slaughter. Dollars in their pocket.

Dude, I’m really sorry to break this to you, but that’s every corporation, ever. Nvidia, AMD, and Intel are all in it to convert your dollars, into theirs. AMD’s CPUs are less expensive than Intel right now for one simple reason: they have to be. People still see AMD as the “lower end competitor” outside of the enthusiast community, and Intel owns most of the OEM market share. AMD needs to grab share before they can raise prices, which they will. They have already started with the XT processors. Nvidia also didn’t price the 2080Ti at $1200 USD because they were trying to do you a solid. If any of those companies can extract more money from you with less effort, they’re going to do it.

Dude, I’m really sorry to break this to you, but that’s every corporation, ever. Nvidia, AMD, and Intel are all in it to convert your dollars, into theirs. AMD’s CPUs are less expensive than Intel right now for one simple reason: they have to be. People still see AMD as the “lower end competitor” outside of the enthusiast community, and Intel owns most of the OEM market share. AMD needs to grab share before they can raise prices, which they will. They have already started with the XT processors. Nvidia also didn’t price the 2080Ti at $1200 USD because they were trying to do you a solid. If any of those companies can extract more money from you with less effort, they’re going to do it.
Not every corporation is paying BILLIONS in fines for breaking the law. Seriously, did you forget this little case? https://www.anandtech.com/show/3839/intel-settles-with-the-ftc

Not every corporation is paying BILLIONS in fines for breaking the law. Seriously, did you forget this little case? https://www.anandtech.com/show/3839/intel-settles-with-the-ftc

The comment I was responding to was discussing profit motivations, not lawsuits and/or fines for breaking the law. I’m terribly sorry that not expanding my response into a novel covering the ins and outs of every facet of the history of every company being discussed wasn’t sufficient for you when I said that they’re all in it to make a profit.

The comment I was responding to was discussing profit motivations, not lawsuits and/or fines for breaking the law. I’m terribly sorry that not expanding my response into a novel covering the ins and outs of every facet of the history of every company being discussed wasn’t sufficient for you when I said that they’re all in it to make a profit.
You can make the argument anything you want. You look like an idiot by taking your stance

You can make the argument anything you want. You look like an idiot by taking your stance
You're wrong you know. While Intel ain't no saint, so is Nvidia and ATI/AMD. Historically Nvidia and ATI has cheated in benchmarks. Intel has done more fucked up things but that doesn't mean AMD and Nvidia are honest either. Intel is in a position of power where they can sell terrible products and get away with it, much like Apple. Intel is losing that position to Apple's ARM and AMD's Ryzen chips, so they have no choice but to make better GPU's. Facts are facts in that majority of people using a computer today have an Intel iGPU. Not because it's good but because that's all that's affordable.

Oh my gosh, I had no idea that companies wanted profit.
Thank you SO much for enlightening me to this this completely unknown concept.

But let me reveal the title of Part Two of my really long essay, and maybe you won't look at me like I'm some sort of naive idiot while you alone know the "truth."

"How much longer can AMD go before they do something REALLY evil?"

The video shows BFV on 1080p High settings running a 30 fps.

So that is pretty impressive for integrated, though still not great overall.

Ya more proof Intel has no idea what consumers really want. Anyone that even knows what Battle field is.... is not gaming on a igpu (even on a laptop). There either buying a gaming laptop... or their playing mobile games on their higher end phones.
For the people actually buying igpus and nothing else... they have never heard of BF5 4 3 2 or 1.
Hopefully Intel has something more to show off.

Ya more proof Intel has no idea what consumers really want. Anyone that even knows what Battle field is.... is not gaming on a igpu (even on a laptop). There either buying a gaming laptop... or their playing mobile games on their higher end phones.
For the people actually buying igpus and nothing else... they have never heard of BF5 4 3 2 or 1.
Hopefully Intel has something more to show off.
Intel doesn't really care whether consumers use their iGPUs for gaming or not. But they have to show investors that their product has future potential. If all they did was dump money into their graphics division and never show results, they'd probably already have shitcanned half the guys involved and told them to stick to enterprise/ai/etc.

Intel doesn't really care whether consumers use their iGPUs for gaming or not. But they have to show investors that their product has future potential. If all they did was dump money into their graphics division and never show results, they'd probably already have shitcanned half the guys involved and told them to stick to enterprise/ai/etc.

Well Intel trying to please investors at every turn the last number of years is probably why they are going to fade like IBM did. They should also have a actual card to show off at this point.... but it sounds like they have been very badly managed. They should have focused on getting a card out the door and aimed at the mid range. Instead they shot for the top and it looks like came up so lacking that they can't release anything at all.

They should have shot to be a good 1080p value card and had something out last year they could have built on. Instead its looking more and more like intel is going to settle for the increased profit owning your own igpu brings. I hope no one still has dreams of Intel making the GPU market a 3 way race.

Last edited:
Well Intel trying to please investors at every turn the last number of years is probably why they are going to fade like IBM did. They should also have a actual card to show off at this point.... but it sounds like they have been very badly managed. They should have focused on getting a card out the door and aimed at the mid range. Instead they shot for the top and came up so lacking that they can't release anything at all.
I mostly agree, just saying why I think they are benchmarking something like this on such a weak gpu.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
I mostly agree, just saying why I think they are benchmarking something like this on such a weak gpu.

It does seem like Intel is scrambling lately to keep shareholders from tanking their stock. Showing off everything and trying to be open about their set backs. It honestly is starting to make me think things are far worse then there saying. There acting like a teen that admits to something pretty bad... so you stop asking questions that may uncover even more shit. lol

Maybe they will show more on August 13th.

I agree that iGPU users aren't playing BFV. And 30 fps is a joke if that's all they got.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back