Intel to buy nvidia?

Not buying it. Nvidia doesn't really have anything that Intel would want (that I'm capable of seeing anyway).

Intel's got a handle on its integrated GPUs, and I highly doubt they're at all interested into breaking into the discrete GPU market. Intel wants everything running on x86 (which they own and dominate in), so Nvidia's ARM and CUDA efforts wouldn't be of any interest, presumably. On top of that, Intel already announced that Otellini's replacement would be a company insider. So theres no way in hell Jen-Hsun would become CEO of the merged company. Please remember that the last time someone tried to buy out Nvidia, the deal tanked because they wouldn't make him the top dog. I don't see that changing here, especially given Nvidia's past issues with Intel.

Not buying it. Nvidia doesn't really have anything that Intel would want (that I'm capable of seeing anyway).

Intel's got a handle on its integrated GPUs, and I highly doubt they're at all interested into breaking into the discrete GPU market. Intel wants everything running on x86 (which they own and dominate in), so Nvidia's ARM and CUDA efforts wouldn't be of any interest, presumably. On top of that, Intel already announced that Otellini's replacement would be a company insider. So theres no way in hell Jen-Hsun would become CEO of the merged company. Please remember that the last time someone tried to buy out Nvidia, the deal tanked because they wouldn't make him the top dog. I don't see that changing here, especially given Nvidia's past issues with Intel.

Well, rumor says Intel actually wants an outsider as a CEO, so who knows.

I agree that intel has little to gain from the buy.

I don't know. Intel probably has hundreds of millions of dollars just gathering dust. Might as well spend it on something. Kinda like the buying spree Microsoft went on a while back. When you have that much money just sitting there why not invest it in something and see what happens. Hell Intel might do it just for fun to stick it to AMD. LOL

I don't see it happening either, as the article states, Intel wanted GeForce graphics for the Sandy/IvyBridge. But at this point Intel already developed the graphics core of Sandy/Ivy. Although I still wouldn't game with it, it has improved significantly each generation.

Even with nVidia's technology/IP, integrated graphics will still be integrated graphics. At this point in time, unless you decide to make the CPU massive, there just isn't the die space and memory bandwidth to make a on die GPU that most of us would consider acceptable for gaming. And if you exclude gaming the Intel graphics work just fine.

I don't see much of a point either. Look at IB and how much integrated graphics are now compared to the actual CPU - almost 200%? If anything, Intel wants the discrete video card makers out of the market so they can sell an all in one product. This will probably happen anyways as integrated graphics get better, and the need for discrete video cards decrease.

I don't know. Intel probably has hundreds of millions of dollars just gathering dust. Might as well spend it on something. Kinda like the buying spree Microsoft went on a while back. When you have that much money just sitting there why not invest it in something and see what happens. Hell Intel might do it just for fun to stick it to AMD. LOL

As of Dec 2011, $5 billion in cash, and $9.7 billion in short term investments. With that being said, nVidia has a $7.8 billion market cap, 25% premium would push it to $9.75 billion. Better off buying up companies with patents at the moment heh.

To those saying you don't see anything Intel would gain: Tegra. Intel's mobile offerings quite frankly, suck. Intel wants to move into the mobile space That would be a big gain for Intel and for Nvidia access to Intel's R&D divisions along with manufacturing plants would be a huge gain. However, I don't see it happening. This rumor and ones like it have been around for years.

To those saying you don't see anything Intel would gain: Tegra. Intel's mobile offerings quite frankly, suck. Intel wants to move into the mobile space That would be a big gain for Intel and for Nvidia access to Intel's R&D divisions along with manufacturing plants would be a huge gain. However, I don't see it happening. This rumor and ones like it have been around for years.

Tegra is not good either. who would have thought that the gpu part of tegra 3 would suck?

The thought of a intel/nvidia APU does sound interesting.

For some reason I would love for this to happen.

- Intel Quality Control
- Access to Intel fabrication
- Possible full blown Intel setup?

Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive, and video card. All they need are PSUs and Memory

I rather doubt such a deal would ever get the regulator's approval.

However, as AMD said when they bought ATI, there's not a huge difference between producing an x86 CPU and a GPU. Once you have the design pinned down, then the actual manufacturing process would be pretty similar. So that is one thing they would gain out of such a deal, but then I don't think Intel really needed that in the same way AMD did.

At this point, Intel is pretty set on doing the Atom thing. Who knows, the next gen 22nm one might even be good, too. They sold off all of their previous ARM business ventures in order to dedicate time/resources on Atom. I do not seeing them ditching atom YET. Maybe if the 22nm Atom and it's 14nm follow-on flop, but not yet...

As to the bit about buying imagination technologies, I could actually see that. They will need competitive graphics in their arm competitor if they want it to actually get anywhere. I am not sure how well the current Intel HD Graphics would scale down to those power levels. It is already well known that HD4000 on 17W cpu's is pretty gimped compared to 35/45w+ ones. The PowerVR 6 series is supposed to be pretty sweet, and Apple uses the PowerVR stuff as well, I bet Intel would like to have Apple buying Atom class stuff one day. That will be a difficult battle, though, with Apple having it's own CPU division now.

Time will tell... but I do not see Intel buying nVidia any time soon...

nvidia has a few things intel would want.

they have an arm license

they make hpc gpus

ive been thinking this would happen for a few years now. could you imagine nvidia gpus made on intels 22nm process?

I'm sure Intel could get an ARM license if they wanted one. They used to have one and if I remember correctly they may actually still have one.

I think that Nvidia is far too independent to agree to such a deal. This is just some stupid Internet rumor... Sort of like how Intel was supposed to completely eliminate socketed CPUs. :rolleyes:

I think that Nvidia is far too independent to agree to such a deal. This is just some stupid Internet rumor... Sort of like how Intel was supposed to completely eliminate socketed CPUs. :rolleyes:

*puts on tinfoil hat* new for 2014 "all in one" Intel BGA 5770k Intel GTX880 on board, 512gb ssd on board with thunderbolt.
in a Wii or smaller sized format

Like Theo said it is a crazy rumor. But public businesses exist for no reason but profit, so if nvidia leadership want to cash out and Intel wants to buy, then deal done

It's actually possible this time, as Paul Otellini is going home in Q1 2013. Not that I know Jen-Hsun Huang personally or something, but he seems to have quite an ego, hence my naive reasoning as to why it didn't happen last time.

There's plenty of reason why would Intel want nvidia's tech. The integrated GPU parts suck big time even thought most real estate is devoted to them. After 2 billion wasted on useless 14 nm (their favorite cheap bulk) process it's time for better investment.

there wouldnt be a problem with regulator approval because both companies compte primarily in different markets.

Back