Intel Teases New Graphics Card Entry

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
By now everyone around here has heard that Intel wants to join the GPU marketplace with AMD and NVIDIA, but they've been rather coy about when we can expect some kind of product to hit the market. I guess we can put that to bed now because their new Twitter account @IntelGraphics has a teaser video where they talk about the new product coming in 2020. No specs or anything else, but now we know when to expect them to join the party. I wish you luck Intel because we need some more competition.

This means that in as little as 16 month's time, we could have a graphics card market that has three players instead of two and as Intel reminds us in the video, it's no newcomer to graphics technology. It has integrated graphics processors on many of its current desktop CPUs, it was the first to offer a DirectX 12 compatible graphics processor as well as one that's compatible with 4K Netflix.

bird1.jpg

Let's see what Intel comes up with in regards to actual GPU performance this time.

Until then... BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

2020? By then Nvidia will have 3 series out, and Intel/AMD will stumble even further behind.

Intel needs a serious breakthrough.

2020? By then Nvidia will have 3 series out, and Intel/AMD will stumble even further behind.

Intel needs a serious breakthrough.
Please. The 2xxx serise won't be replaced til 2021 without competition. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's next offering will challenge a 1080ti. With what Raja did at AMD I doubt Intel will have anything to challenge Nvidia in less then two years. The next 5 years could be very interesting GPU and CPU wise tho with all the competition stepping up their game tho.

When you have to have the best integrated graphics performance you can get from an external video card, you go intel! Wait..... that doesnt seem right......

ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME!!!!

AMD, Step your game up!

NVIDIA, you gunna have a bad time...

I think those should be swapped. AMD is already having a bad time and Intel's entry, if they are even competitive, will hurt AMD even more. Intel will have a hard time against NV.

Intel will have a hard time against NV.

I'm not sure why you would say that. Intel seems very well setup from an infrastructure standpoint. And as has been pointed out, they already have driver framework in-place due to all of their integrated graphics chips that already exist.

Look at what Intel already has in terms of GPU market-share. Now since much of that is from integrated graphics, that might not seem significant from the perspective of a gamer, but if/when they get a foothold in the high-end market also, who is really going to be in trouble?

mwpr-001b-325.png

DX12 compatible
pigs with with wings glued to other animals fly just like birds do, is the same thing right?

IMO I really wish MSFT was more adamant on what DX was/is instead of various companies getting certification when they do some in hardware most in software but still get the "sticker" of "support"

Vista was horror show in this regard, Win 7 was better, but with DX 12 (win10) and the various "levels" is much worse comparatively speaking.

should be supports X Y and Z or is NOT DX 12 certified..why is that so hard to do? would it really "kill sales" in any noticeable regard likely not, hell even Nv get certification and at most only support something like 1/2 the stack of feature levels but still can "claim" FULL DX 12 support which is absolutely not correct.

I'm not sure why you would say that. Intel seems very well setup from an infrastructure standpoint. And as has been pointed out, they already have driver framework in-place due to all of their integrated graphics chips that already exist.

Look at what Intel already has in terms of GPU market-share. Now since much of that is from integrated graphics, that might not seem significant from the perspective of a gamer, but if/when they get a foothold in the high-end market also, who is really going to be in trouble?

View attachment 96894

Intel hasn't made a dGPU in 25 years. They will have an uphill battle trying to take dGPU market share away from Nvidia; who has been doing nothing but building brand/rep for their own dGPU's for almost two decades.

Competition, especially on high end cards is good, but to think Intel is just going to come in and take over is silly. It will take a few gens to push the masses of high end cards to Intel dGPU's if they are outstanding. Look at NV/AMD loyalists. There is a ton of them and they won't be easily swayed.

Eventually Intel might take the crown but it won't happen with the first several gens. NV also has a large infrastructure, money, and a CEO that is bullish. So that is why I say, Intel will have a hard time against NV.

View attachment 96894

I'm curious how they get those numbers. I'm sure they still have a huge market share either way given all the systems that don't require discrete graphics to do what they need to do and nearly every Intel CPU has onboard graphics but how many of those Intel graphics systems aren't actually using Intel Graphics as their primary display adapter or, like my laptop, uses onboard for desktop display and a GTX 1050 for all other graphics?

Reactions: N4CR
like this
it was the first to offer a DirectX 12 compatible graphics processor as well as one that's compatible with 4K Netflix.

hahahahahah....

So more accurately, they proposed and implemented a copy protection scheme that was agreed upon ?behind closed doors? with Netflix to make a marketing bullet point for new Intel processors (not fast enough to excite on performance increase alone). Not that Intel invented a brave new technology to support some amazingly high pixel resolution that other companies couldn't have created.

It wasn't like AMD or Nvidia didn't have the capability to play media at 3840 × 2160 for the last...um...how many years?

Last edited:
More competition means lower prices.
No matter how well it works.

Last edited:
Intel hasn't made a dGPU in 25 years. They will have an uphill battle trying to take dGPU market share away from Nvidia; who has been doing nothing but building brand/rep for their own dGPU's for almost two decades.

Competition, especially on high end cards is good, but to think Intel is just going to come in and take over is silly. It will take a few gens to push the masses of high end cards to Intel dGPU's if they are outstanding. Look at NV/AMD loyalists. There is a ton of them and they won't be easily swayed.

Eventually Intel might take the crown but it won't happen with the first several gens. NV also has a large infrastructure, money, and a CEO that is bullish. So that is why I say, Intel will have a hard time against NV.

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell. Because Raja worked with maybe 30% of the budget of Nvidia to churn out Vega which is actually pretty amazing not having the R&D that he has with Intel. If people actually knew how much Vega costs them to build/design, they would be surprised that AMD could even budget that. Intel has $$$$, fabs, and tons of GPU experience. Did you watch the video? They were first with all their imbedded gpu's with just about everything from direct x, just on a smaller scale. Money matter most. They can and probably already having working silicon in house to tweak and play with for 16 months.

Please educate yourself before making ignorant assumptions. Here is all their fabs. They don't have to wait 1-3 months for tape out or working samples from Taiwan.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/global-manufacturing.html

And you put too much confidence in consumers being "brand loyal". They meet or beat Nvidia when they launch, you have a Titanic size ship of people jumping off of this fat bastard of a boat. :D

P.S. Oh shit, 3 wafer fabs here in the States. Yeah don't have to really wait on well any body. Unlike AMD and Nvidia who wait for tape outs to come back to the states.

People thought it was pretty awesome when the G450 dropped on the market too.

Then NV kicked em in the nuts or something.

If intel was leader of graphics cards. Each new card would be 5% faster than the last one. On a 2 year cycle.

Intel entering the GPU market, wow.

What's next - is nVidia going to make chipsets for AMD and Intel processors? Oh wait...

Gotta be Radeon based right? Due to their previous collaboration... I am not exactly sure what AMD was thinking when they allowed that. Unless Radeon group is going to spin back out at some point.... and having just said that, didn't Kyle write up an article that predicted that would happen?

Kyle has a functional Hard Cystal Ball (with frag harder led disco lights!). Give us some stock tips, oh mighty seer!

I can see it now...

Microcenter/NE/Amazon having kick ass Intel deals.

"Buy any 11th gen i9 CPU and mobo combo, get Blue Wave Maelstrom GPU free!"
"Buy any 11th gen i7 CPU and mobo combo, get Blue Wave Water Spout GPU free!"
"Buy any 11th gen i5 CPU and mobo combo, get Blue Wave Surf GPU free!"

Gotta be Radeon based right? Due to their previous collaboration... I am not exactly sure what AMD was thinking when they allowed that. Unless Radeon group is going to spin back out at some point.... and having just said that, didn't Kyle write up an article that predicted that would happen?

Kyle has a functional Hard Cystal Ball (with frag harder led disco lights!). Give us some stock tips, oh mighty seer!

I still wouldn't rule out phi based. Their latest phi CPUs are extremely powerful and Intel already has experience making them run games

Looking through Steam today I saw a game that listed AMD/NVidia AND Intel minimum GPU specs (not a very demanding game) I would say Intel is already here and is just scaling into the high end market which makes a great deal of sense.

GPUs are not the defacto auxiliary processor in many applications and I dont see that changing until some sort of disruptive technology simplifies and reduces the size/power such that we can go back to Apple 2 days with a single chip doing all the work.

What I'm wondering is, can Intel use Infinity Fabric technology to scale up a small and weak GPU into something insanely powerful? Perhaps that is what they will do. The iGPU on some of their Broadwell CPUs was quite good. Enhance that for DX12 and then scale it up with Infinity Fabric and it could be quite interesting. God help them writing the drivers, though.

Back