Intel Teases Discrete Graphics Plans on Twitter

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
The "@IntelGraphics" Twitter account just posted another video, and this time, it features Intel graphics lead Raja Koduri and Intel's now-permanent CEO Bob Swan. The video is an advertisement for graphics engineers more than anything, as Intel appears to be aggressively looking for talent to add to their Core and Visual Computing Group, but in that vein, it does give a glimpse into the progress Intel is making on their discrete GPU. Raja Koduri calls Intel's Graphics Portfolio "incredible" at the transistor, firmware, and software levels, and he says these "lego blocks" are essential for building an end product that performs a particular function well. He also claims he wants to make photorealistic long distance communication and game universes "the size of our universe" a reality.

Bob Swan is similarly optimistic, as he intends for Intel's discrete graphics to be "the leading computer architecture for the future." Given the state of Intel's current IGPs, they're a long way from achieving that goal, but Intel's high-level executives seem very committed to pushing their discrete graphics effort forward. Thanks to Hexus for spotting the tweet.

It really is the right time. With Nvidia reeling a bit from their financial news. They have engineers probably looking for some job security. Their ability to invest heavily in R&D in the near to short term is damaged if not heavily constricted. Their investors will want them to milk the technology that they have in place to maintain profit and income levels. NOW is the time for AMD/Intel to step up and introduce some competitive or BETTER performing video cards. If they can actually do that it will be a double tap to Nvidia who will have to piss off investors short term to invest in R&D and that is even a gamble if they can't be the manufacturer API's need to succeed.

Right now Microsoft NEEDS to have API's to feed Nvidia. Because Gaming is the only thing they have and edge on right now compared to other OS's. IF it becomes as easy to have a nix variant with zero OS cost, less threat cost, and BETTER performance on the same hardware because of less bloat... people will start flipping. It will be people from here first that flip but once that happens, then the Uncle/Aunt/Granda/Mother/Friends that rely on the techies like us will flip next. ONCE they flip it will filter into office systems. Because people will then know how much better X does Y than today when they figure windows is it.

Now if AMD comes along or Intel comes along or better BOTH have top tier performance across the board and down into the lower end GPU market they will take away NVIDIA's product penetration and more importantly mindshare. THAT is the hard one to get back.

Once the best performance stops being Nvidia, Nvidia will shrink. Intel knows this.. AMD is doing it to them today. They just have to play the same cards against Nvidia.

The way Intel does graphic drivers has not impressed me. I hope they start fresh with that as well.

It really is the right time. With Nvidia reeling a bit from their financial news. They have engineers probably looking for some job security. Their ability to invest heavily in R&D in the near to short term is damaged if not heavily constricted. Their investors will want them to milk the technology that they have in place to maintain profit and income levels. NOW is the time for AMD/Intel to step up and introduce some competitive or BETTER performing video cards. If they can actually do that it will be a double tap to Nvidia who will have to piss off investors short term to invest in R&D and that is even a gamble if they can't be the manufacturer API's need to succeed.

Right now Microsoft NEEDS to have API's to feed Nvidia. Because Gaming is the only thing they have and edge on right now compared to other OS's. IF it becomes as easy to have a nix variant with zero OS cost, less threat cost, and BETTER performance on the same hardware because of less bloat... people will start flipping. It will be people from here first that flip but once that happens, then the Uncle/Aunt/Granda/Mother/Friends that rely on the techies like us will flip next. ONCE they flip it will filter into office systems. Because people will then know how much better X does Y than today when they figure windows is it.

Now if AMD comes along or Intel comes along or better BOTH have top tier performance across the board and down into the lower end GPU market they will take away NVIDIA's product penetration and more importantly mindshare. THAT is the hard one to get back.

Once the best performance stops being Nvidia, Nvidia will shrink. Intel knows this.. AMD is doing it to them today. They just have to play the same cards against Nvidia.

If anything, Intel will kill off the much weaker AMD first, not Nvidia.

I'm all for more competition as long as they stick to standards and do not support proprietary feature sets....

I appreciate your optimism, but I feel like you are fairly out of touch with the average computer users out there.

GPU is a great place for Intel to be. I am not exactly sure how it will work out in the near term, but I feel like they could make more waves here then when they tried to make mobile happen.

Bad example as AMD has barely made a dent in intel marketshare since Ryzen and threadrippers release. They will never be real competition for nVidia at the high end either so you can brush AMD aside as nothing more than a market distraction.

Intel, if serious about their gpu endeavors has the potential to bury nVidia long term. They can steal hungry/ambitious AMD and nVidia engineers and then shower them with R&D dollars, pay raises and bonuses which would probably result in some nice gpu breakthroughs. Long term intel will start selling all in one packages to professional and consumer markets at all levels which will effectively shut nVidia out of the picture save for the very top end. Eventually with less and less revenue nVidia will have to either shift away from high end gaming or simply fold and be absorbed by a bigger company like Samsung or Microsoft.

The outlook for AMD isn't much better but because they have both x86 and rtg they will manage to survive on Intels scraps and gain a few percentage of the market but long term they will never get big (their ASP is abysmal).

I don't think an intel dominated market is good for anybody but this seems the inevitable for desktop x86. But with how nVidia raised prices this generation to cover their crypto shortfall and data center ambitions, they deserve what's coming to them.

Last edited:
If anything, Intel will kill off the much weaker AMD first, not Nvidia.

I disagree. Intel didn't kill off AMD because they needed the competition otherwise they'd have been under a regulatory microscope. NVidia on the other hand is a bigger target for Intel. I think they'll kneecap NVidia hard and leave AMD alone for now. Intel wants to be the dominant player and that won't happen while NVidia is at the top.

Not the first time Intel claimed to be serious about doing GPUs right. Rather like that girlfriend that keeps promising to let you in her back door, but never delivers.

I'm really excited for another player in this marketspace. I really think Intel has a legit shot at bringing a truly competitive product to market. They certainly have the money. The key thing is that they need to stay focused on GAMING and not let their focus slide too much over to compute, AND make sure their performance targets are high enough. Those issues are kinda what fucked Larrabee, it was very much compute first, and their graphics performance targets just weren't high enough. I know they want to compete in both areas but Intel has never been afraid of building many different dies for different markets, so hopefully what they bring to the gaming market will be heavily focused on gaming. It's not out of the question for them to be able to bring something really awesome to the table here. I mean imagine a 5-600mm^2 GPU on Intel 10nm, or possibly even on their 7nm... They certainly aren't strangers to building big ass dies either...

LOL, though to be fair to Raja, Raja now probably has more funding to play with at Intel compare to AMD.

I was thinking the same thing as the other guy. Im actually glad he is gone from AMD. You may be right that he has more funding now but will also need it starting from where they are now.

By the time Intel has something in the dGPU department that is competitive with what NVIDIA had five generations ago, Raja Koduri will look like Gandalf...

Previous attempts by Intel to step into the serious GPU game we’re doomed to fail from a simple lack of IP. Anything they made would have been challenged by both nVidia and AMD once the step seriously into the 3D pipelines. With changes coming in the basic rendering models assuming Intel has been doing some work in the background they have the potential now to put something to market that could be a serious middle ground contender. I doubt they will come swinging for the top right out the gate but if they can get a solid offering in the < $300 range and get a good product in the mobile space that would be good enough.

As mentioned, if they go both feet.. I could be great.
If they go half cocked and over priced, forget it.
As far as AMD or Nvidia being affected, I think both can be screwed equally it all depends on the products they release.
Thing is, Intel can brute force a semi elegant, design with their manufacturer capacity, with their soon to be OLD manufacturer capacity actually. It may be 14++++++++++ but it maybe suitable to make huge gpu dies no problem, for what amounts to the cost of labor and silicon, as the equipment would have been garbage anyway.
Amd has no choice but to make elegant efficient designs ( hopefully navi is it), Nvidia which right now is brute forcing old designs, will have to produce elegant design too, as they won't win a huge die war with Intel.
In my view, depending on what Intel has yeah, downside for Nvidia could be huge.

This sounds like typical Raja flavoured pie in the sky.

I will see it to believe it, at least the performance part of it. If they come out with a card better and as fast as the top of the line nVidia card, I will eat my hat. I would even be surprised if they manage to match mid-level performance cards.

And then, at what price...

The other side of this is, my god, I hope they do what is being promised, nVidia needs to be stopped. If they keep raising prices with each new architecture, then PC gaming will be untenable in 5 years time.

This sounds like typical Raja flavoured pie in the sky.

I will see it to believe it, at least the performance part of it. If they come out with a card better and as fast as the top of the line nVidia card, I will eat my hat. I would even be surprised if they manage to match mid-level performance cards.

And then, at what price...
Sorry, Raja comes across to me as a fast talking technically confuser to management BSer that doesn't really do much... Just looks like he knows a lot, and does a lot, but its just looks.. no depth..
Sorry, I think there's people here that know him and would probably say otherwise, but i can't help it.. he comes across like that to me, I've worked with people like that in my field, and that's who I see in him.

Oh Intel, you little tease!

Next thing you know they'll actually encourage retailers to sell i9 CPUs at or maybe even below MSRP.

Wonder why they don't license or just buy PowerVR? They're the only 3rd party left, even though they have been focusing on mobile and low power stuff for the last.... what, decade? 2?

I would love an unknown new company with some radical new technology to pop up out of nowhere but it seems unlikely. Even if one did exist, they would either be acquired or crushed or both by AMD or Nvidia.

Wonder why they don't license or just buy PowerVR? They're the only 3rd party left, even though they have been focusing on mobile and low power stuff for the last.... what, decade? 2?

I would love an unknown new company with some radical new technology to pop up out of nowhere but it seems unlikely. Even if one did exist, they would either be acquired or crushed or both by AMD or Nvidia.
I wonder why no one brought Imagination Technologies.
All the IP is now Chinese...
I guess now we can say the Chinese 'stole it' when they produce GPU using former Imagination Technologies IP.

I disagree. Intel didn't kill off AMD because they needed the competition otherwise they'd have been under a regulatory microscope. NVidia on the other hand is a bigger target for Intel. I think they'll kneecap NVidia hard and leave AMD alone for now. Intel wants to be the dominant player and that won't happen while NVidia is at the top.

you have sound logic for 1v1 competition. I think however in a potential oligopoly, with 3 players in discrete GPU is that if intel kneecaps nvidia (I don't see this at all unless it's a pure enterprise INT4 Monster that scales perfectly to Int64- DP on 10nm at 500+mm^2); amd will get pushed to a weaker third and halve, or worse quarter their revenues unless AMD goes tit for tat on releases.

Reality in my opinion, is that nvidia and AMD will continue to be 1 and 2, and Intel will have a slow start being in enterprise, and slower start for consumer. 10nm will be MAXED the fuck out for cpu's and GPU's?, 14nm will be maxed out for cpu's and chipsets AND future GPU's. Intel can't canabalize product of CPU's just to get discrete inroads. From Intels FAB capex I don't see extra 10nm or 14nm capacity for 4 more years.

Back