Intel Teaming Up With HP, Lenovo, Dell, and Microsoft to Bring 5G to PC's

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Intel has announced they are going to team up with HP, Lenovo, Dell and Microsoft to bring 5G to their PC's by holiday season 2019. Intel is fighting Qualcomm and Samsung in this market so this partnership is pretty important for them. Also, considering their current issues with Meltdown/Spectre this is positive news they really need. As far as I'm concerned I can't wait for 5G to hit the market because it should bring massive broadband capability to mobile devices.

The development of such devices is critical for Intel, which is in a race with Qualcomm and Samsung to be the provider of choice for 5G modems. Samsung has an advantage in that it can build its own devices that contain its modems.

Make it optional, I surely don't want to spend an extra $30 for a 5G cell modem I won't use, plus subscription etc etc. Also everything being said here about Data Caps (and let's not forget the ugly twin sister to Data Caps.... Throttling! Ignore her lazy eye) is right on.

I think it would be better to just shrink the package to fit on a tiny USB device, or card slot device (something like a SD slot perhaps, that seems to have taken over for smart card/PCMCIA), or plug into the ethernet jack they assume we won't be using... point is, make it optional / sold separately.

Make it optional, I surely don't want to spend an extra $30 for a 5G cell modem I won't use, plus subscription etc etc. Also everything being said here about Data Caps (and let's not forget the ugly twin sister to Data Caps.... Throttling! Ignore her lazy eye) is right on.

I think it would be better to just shrink the package to fit on a tiny USB device, or card slot device (something like a SD slot perhaps, that seems to have taken over for smart card/PCMCIA), or plug into the ethernet jack they assume we won't be using... point is, make it optional / sold separately.

Honestly I hope they just build it into the WiFi chipsets so it's in everything. That'll make it nearly free in terms of incremental cost and push carriers to significantly step up network modernization and expansion.

But wait, here's 5.01G and 5.01aG is out next week. Nevermind NbaseT and 10Gb ethernet.

Seriously I want to see the good in this but to me Intel seems to have treated its customer base so cheaply over the last 5-10 years that it's hard for me to give any kind of praise anymore.

Back