Intel Survey Points to "Hourglass Outrage"

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel’s most recent technology study conducted by Harris Interactive* revealed that eight out of ten (80 percent) U.S. adults get frustrated waiting for their technology to load. Additionally, while waiting, half (51 percent) have done something in a manner inconsistent with their usual behavior. In fact, 61 percent of U.S. adults admitted to yelling or cursing out loud when their technology can’t keep up with them, while others hit their computer mouse (29%) or banged on their computer screen and keyboard (24%). Luckily, Intel has gotten to the core of the problem with the new 2010 Intel® Core™ family of processors, to give users who hate to wait a way to keep up with their busy lives.

Last edited:
Yah, that makes sense because most modern bottlenecks are casued by the CPU not I/O from disk.. oh wait they are caused by I/O.

Other than the low end crap, CPU speed is not the issue so the whole thing makes just about zero sense.

I'm surprised they didn't put in their SSD lines as well/instead. Whatever CPU you have running, the HDD still would make it slow...as I found out last week with a laptop drive instead on an SSD, 4gh/z i7 is still slow ass at loading windows and things.

Bah, it's intel. They've pulled that crap before. Remember the whole "internet experience" thing? Granted that was quite a few years ago to recall for some. :)

So yea, it's totally not to do with slow arse corporate networks nor slow "green" hard drives. Intel would have the consumer believe that the cpu IS everything that the computer is made from. Sadly they and the herd do believe that.....

It's rarely the processing power that's the bottleneck in most cases. They should have used that blatant advertisement for their SSD's; which actually will make a significant and noticeable difference.

Funny... most of my wait times come from spinning media and the network. I guess not everyone has a quad core cpu @ 3.8ghz, 8GB of RAM and an SSD.

Except for around here of course, where my system is positively archaic.

Stupid people who bang on their computers and break stuff are what keeps my job security alive and thriving :D

So, tell me again why Intel decided to purchase McAfee, one of the slowest A/V softwares out there? :rolleyes:

At work, in addition to a normal computer, I also have a thin client that is required for certain things. I often whap the side of the monitor it is attached to in a vain attempt to make it go faster.
It's a thin client with the server 200 miles away on the other side of the state, and my locations internet is on the same node as a large housing development. The thin clients become all but useless 30 minutes after school lets out as a result. A certain level of rage is expected. ;)

Meh, this is Intel, trying to sell faster processors, and SSDs, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, their frustration has nothing to do with that little cylindrical light that is constantly on while the computer is making a grinding noise....

...and the CPU's idle waiting for data...

:rolleyes:

Come now, my brothers, and let us not ridicule the common man for being so frustrated with his computer for being slow. Surely you've had your moments as well?

What about SSD users?
"WHAT? 15 SECOND BOOT TIME? IT WAS 14 LAST WEEK! I CAN'T STAND THIS CRAP NO MORE!"
Or overclockers?
"18 SECONDS FOR 1M SUPER PI? INTEL SUCKS!"
or the very classic
"LOAD FASTER, NEED TITS"

I'm surprised they didn't put in their SSD lines as well/instead. Whatever CPU you have running, the HDD still would make it slow...as I found out last week with a laptop drive instead on an SSD, 4gh/z i7 is still slow ass at loading windows and things.

Depending on your I/O setup.

I'm only using a single WD5000AAKS and everything loads plenty fast on my system.

What exactly is this article doing linked here anyway? Its marketing articles like that which make me sick, theres neither any news, nor any article there. Its simply a marketing statement used with the intent on luring sheep over to the other side of the fence. I honestly cant stand when companies release 'press releases' like these full of intent on misleading the consumer.

Id be perfectly fine with intel releasing the article for 'entertainment' value of the videos that are linked, and the game, but intel does not offer any evidence that they have done anything different than the previous generation, nor do they even suggest or offer any sort of recommendations in the way in which users might help eliminate the waits such as buying faster drives, defragment those drives, or adding more ram. The majority of people arnt waiting for things to load because of processors, they are waiting for things to load because of slow drives and slow network connections.

Lets call this what it is, self promotional hype designed to trick consumers into believing that intel will give them a better experience, when in fact no one reading this 'article' who could be tricked by it will have any different experience than they would have with an equivalent competing processor. Try informing your customers instead of selling them snakeoil intel, cause bullshit dosnt buy loyalty.

I'm calling user fault on most of the wait periods, stop installing bloat ware.

Truth. More than half the time an employee bitches about how slow their computer has gotten, I find Weatherbug, about 2 to 4 browser toolbars, some world clock widget and a bunch of other crapware installed on their computers.

Computer technology speed has increased by how many factors since the 1-2mhz 6502 days? 3000 times? Disk speed has increased, video speed etc, but somehow we keep making more and more bloated applications to slow it back down again.

I'm calling user fault on most of the wait periods, stop installing bloat ware.

For those that don't build their own systems, a lot of the bloatware comes pre-installed by the system builders, and most don't know how to remove it, or reinstall windows, even if they figure out that it is the cause of their slowdowns..

Agreed - however. There isn't a single CPU on the market today that is going to make you wait a long time for anything most people do. Waits are caused by I/O like hard drives, optical drives, networks, internet, etc.

My laptop with an SSD feels faster and less annoying to use than a friends 4+Ghz OC'd Core i7 on raid velociraptors.

I think I have replaced 5 or 6 lcd screens from people punching there laptop cause it is slow... people need self control.

I can't imagine what people would do if they had to play crash bandikoot for ps2 today.

I think I have replaced 5 or 6 lcd screens from people punching there laptop cause it is slow... people need self control.

I can't imagine what people would do if they had to play crash bandikoot for ps2 today.

Did you actually confirm that people punched their laptops, or are you only presuming this?

I have seen several screens crack on modern laptops, and its not due to punching them. They ahve been dropped, banged against doorframes while walking between meetings, etc. etc. Once just spontaneously crashed when my colleague closed her laptop. She wasn't even forcing it, ir slamming it hard.

Zarathustra[H];1036081010 said:
Did you actually confirm that people punched their laptops, or are you only presuming this?

nope they told me they punched it...

One was a Dell xps and he got shotgunned in the face in like cod4 when it first came out and got pissed and broke his screen with his fist.

I'm going to join the pile of "It's the I/O, stupid!" I got a "new" laptop from Dell's Outlet. It is actually a 3-year-old model (XPS m1530). Though the CPU is a tick faster (1.83GHz x64 as opposed to 1.73GHz x86) most of the "speed boost" came from the 320GB 5.4k versus the 250GB 5.4k, I'd imagine. Higher areal density FTW.

For anyone with a dual core or better, it's the I/O.

One trick if you can't afford a SSD yet, is to just use a small portion of an existing drive.

Buy a current 2 platter drive like a 750GB or 1TB 7200RPM drive and only partition it to 1/2 or even 1/4 the size. The high desitiy platters will give you a high transfer rate, and only using 1/2 or less of the drive will improve the seek rate.

I'm going to join the pile of "It's the I/O, stupid!" I got a "new" laptop from Dell's Outlet. It is actually a 3-year-old model (XPS m1530). Though the CPU is a tick faster (1.83GHz x64 as opposed to 1.73GHz x86) most of the "speed boost" came from the 320GB 5.4k versus the 250GB 5.4k, I'd imagine. Higher areal density FTW.

Drop in a current 7200rpm drive and see an even bigger improvement.
It's amazing how much you can improve the usability an old p4 desktop by pulling out the cheap 40GB drive and dropping in a new 500GB 7200RPM drive.

lol.. I might be guilty of spouting profanity at my laptop on occasion.

Back