Intel SSD G2 TRIM firmware failure rate

If you updated the Intel G2 SSD firmware, did it cause a failure of the drive or not?

• I've updated my G2 and it's doing fine

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • I've updated my G2 and it doesn't work

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • I'm not sure what the heck are you talking about

Votes: 22 28.9%

• Total voters
I was considering buying one of these drives (80GB) in the next few days, but given all the problems people are having I'm looking into other options.

Would you still recommend the drives provided I don't flash the firmware at this time?

I don' t think the drives are bricked still. Noone's reported secure erasing their 'bricked' drive.

I'm thinking it will bring them back.

I was considering buying one of these drives (80GB) in the next few days, but given all the problems people are having I'm looking into other options.

Would you still recommend the drives provided I don't flash the firmware at this time?
yes, they are great drives, and I would expect this firmware situation to be sorted out soon
even without TRIM support, it's still a huge improvement over any hard drive

and OCZ has really made some nice improvements to the Vertex through firmware improvements, I'd consider it a tossup between the two now
it really comes down to price
newegg is price gouging like a mother fucker right now on the X25-M G2 160GB, I paid $449 for mine months ago
their vertex prices aren't much better either
I'd shop around for better prices and buy based on the best $/GB for your needed capacity range

here's a nice deal on a slightly slower drive
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1616337

1. Even before TRIM they were really the fastest SSD drives around. Besides possibly a few super expensive SLC based drives.

2. If you're buying a new drive you should be fine. Its only people that had existing Windows 7 installation that had problems, I've seen no reports of problems with other OS or for people doing this firmware upgrade then doing a clean install. It seems to be some issue with corrupting the OS/drive on that initial reboot.

80GB
Win 7 x64 Ultimate RTM
ICH10R X58 (P6T Deluxe V1)
enhanced IDE
Intel Drivers

And your flash was successful or not?

160GB G2
Asus P6T Deluxe
AHCI mode flash
Windows Vista 64 ultimate retail
Default windows ahci drivers
Intel SSD toolbox works fine.

I think the safest way is to flash the drive using windows vista or lower. Then install windows 7 on it after.

The flashing itself has nothing to do with windows since you're booting to the image supplied by Intel, not Windows. The errors seem to occur when you boot into Windows after the flash, which seems to point to the Intel MSM or Microsoft driver.

Btw, I thought I bricked my drive also, but an hdderase solved the issue (or seemed to).

2 working fine:

80GB
Asus Rampage Formula X48
Compatible IDE
Win7 64bit
intel inf update

80GB
Asus Commando
Compatible IDE
WIn7 64bit
Windows

Oh man, issues are piling up. Apparently, if you are OK after flashing it doesn't mean that your drive won't die later down the road.
On 26 as many users i did the firmware update on both of my x25m G2. I have win Vista x64 installed and after the update all worked fine. After two days (28 October) when i powered on my PC i saw the disk read error and the rest followed (smart went bad etc.). So it is not Win 7 related problem as i only have vista and 2 intels went bad after flashing them.
(http://communities.intel.com/message/71865)

I guess this kinda invalidates this whole poll since there's no telling if the successful flashes will survive for long... unless Intel comes out and clears up this mess.

Intel has also posted this yesterday afternoon....

"Announcement: Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool Notice
After the release of the 02HA firmware, we have been contacted by users with SSD issues after a firmware upgrade to 02HA. If users have downloaded 02HA firmware, Intel recommends they don’t upgrade until further notice. Intel has a task team in place and is pursuing a resolution on this as a high priority. This issue does not affect the Intel® SSD Toolbox which was also launched on Monday, October 26."

Wow, that's the first report I've seen of a non-win7 failure. That's not encouraging.

I noticed this question is never asked.

But in Win 7 you can run on Microsoft SSD drivers or Intel.

The one with bricked SSD, ran Intel or MS?

I am curious if something to do with MS drivers.

So what happens if you buy a drive new? Is is going to have a ticking time bomb for firmware?

I was seriously thinking about picking one of these up next payday, but now I am considering avoiding the X25-M for good after this one.

So what happens if you buy a drive new? Is is going to have a ticking time bomb for firmware?

I was seriously thinking about picking one of these up next payday, but now I am considering avoiding the X25-M for good after this one.

no, this is only on this firmware that was on their site for one day. the download link is gone. all the drives in store and online have good firmware.

That is what I suspected, but what about two weeks from now? Or a month from now, whatever. Any chance this firmware is going to hit retail drives?

Just a thought. I don't want to buy one of these drives and get buggy firmware!

I doubt it. Intel stopped stores from selling the SSD with the previous bad firmware till they had a fix. Took around 2 weeks. Course that problem was not as severe as this one.

I updated mine as soon as the firmware came out and I'm one of the lucky ones - my drive is running just fine.

160GB
P35 chipset, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R.
Flashed using ACHI
Windows 7 Professional X64 Retail
I have the 100MB recovery partition
Microsoft drivers

Flashed and working fine

80GB
P55
flashed in IDE mode
Win7 64-bit running in AHCI mode
Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers

160GB
Dell M4400
Flashed under AHCI
Vista 32bit
Intel AHCI drivers
Drive works fine. SSD toolbox has problems finding the drive and I
have to click Try Again a couple times, but everything else is fine.

Flashed in Compatible IDE mode, then back to Enhanced IDE. Been working fine for 3 days now with the Windows 7 install that was on it at update time.

80GB
P5K-VM (MicroATX, G33)
Flashed under legacy IDE, boot under AHCI
Windows 7 x64
Default Win 7 drivers
No recovery partition

No problems to report. Toolbox works fine.

80GB gen 2
EVGA P55
Win 7 x64
Always AHCI

I believe I flashed it windows when I first got it a couple months ago. Was moving some drives around and found a really weird issue. One of the other drives connected to my computer had a windows folder for another computer. For some reason the SSD would not be bootable if the other drive was not connected (Had to be that 1 particular drive). I disconnected all other drives and tried to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 and I got a failure during Win 7 portioning the disk and now its a goner.

I don't understand how I can erase/clean the drive if my motherboard won't recognize it anymore or freeze when its trying to.

Edit: Sorry about bringing up an old thread.

Back