Intel SSD G2: 80 or 160GB?

capreppy

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2009
I've got an Asus G71V-Q1 (in sig). Currently running 2 x 320GB 7200 RPM HDDs.

I am looking to replace my boot drive with an SSD. At the time of installation, I will also be doing an OS install of Win7 Ultimate x64.

The laptop is my main work machine (independent software consultant). I do game (currently CoD:MW2 (both SP & MP) & Dragon Age).

I was given a $250 gift card to Amazon.com so this will obviously help defer the cost of the SSD. The 80GB after shipping will be just over the value of the gift card and the 160GB will run me another $200 to $250. I do not have an issue with spending the additional money, but am curious if I would actually need it.

So questions:
- How large a footprint is Win7 Ultimate x64?
- Is 80GB enough to put OS, Office, a few games and some data files (mostly outlook and a few other files).

I will be retaining the second currently installed 320GB 7200 RPM HDD for storage of any files that don't need to be on SSD. I do also have a 640GB 5400 RPM HDD that I can install in the second bay instead of the 320. Given that most of the data that will be on second drive will be movies, iTunes, & other miscellaneous files, will I see the performance difference between 5400 & 7200 RPM HDDs? I would obviously not loose any space if I went with SSD & 640GB.

Any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated.

edit: links to proposed purchase. 80GB Intel G2 & 160GB Intel G2. Looking to purchase in the next 24 hours so I can do the install this weekend or early next week.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
80 is more than enough.
The newer generation 5400 rpm drives perform about as well as the older generation 7200 rpm drives, so I doubt you would be hit on that end.

In any case, you will notice a difference by simply putting your OS on the SSD.

I have the 160, and with Win7 pro, office, misc other apps, some adobe photo software and some steam games (TF2 L4D2), with two additional Eve Online installs = 93GB. I debated the 80gb, but I knew i'd have to start chucking things onto a secondary drive after a few months.

I would have gotten two 80's but:
1) I don't have to worry about raid hassle and trim support
2) I got the 160 cheaper then what I could have bought (2) 80's for.
3) I didn't have to eat up an extra bay slot on my Obsidion 800D

I've been leaning towards the 160, but have been trying to convince myself I didn't need it.

I appreciate the numbers above. Your logic is sound. I also don't want to have to keep chucking things over to the other drive.

The additional cost of $250 isn't a lot in the big picture of things. I do get to write off the difference.

The Amazon.com pricing isn't actually all that bad. No Sales Tax and with 2 day shipping (or over night if I get a wild hair) is still pretty decent. Can someone confirm that this IS the correct Intel SSD that everyone recommends?

160G gets better speed than 80G model.

The difference in speeds will NOT be noticeable outside of benchmarks. If 80GB can hold the data you need, then get it and use the left over cash for your next upgrade. If not, then get the 160GB. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

Can someone confirm that this IS the correct Intel SSD that everyone recommends?
As long as they have "G2" in the model number then they are the newer drives that you want. The only difference amongst them from what i understand are the package contents.

The 160gb G2 you linked in your first post is definitely the right one.

Make sure the amazon reseller is NOT Antonline since they are notorious for not having an accurate stock count.

I wish prices would drop down faster on ssds :( I almost pulled the trigger on the 160gb intel ssd that was on sale for around $400+ but I decided to wait for gen 3.

How come ebay is only $410?
Brand new too

Item number: 110471071351
Because that's the older G1 model ;)

Ebay/Mwave does have the lowest price on the 80GB G2, $226 using Bing cashback.

And when you factor in 8% Bing cashback, ebay also has the lowest current price on the 160gb G2 as well.
1) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEL-X25-M-160GB-SSD-2ND-GEN-34NM-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ270499863909
2) http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-X25M-160GB-SATA-SSD-SSDSA2MH160G2_W0QQitemZ330387375217
3) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-X25-M-MLC-Solid-State-Drive-MLC_W0QQitemZ380188831061

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
is there anything else I should know about this reseller? Antonline, as their price is some other items is very cheap

EDIT: Forget I ask, I found their wrap sheet, shocking

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Atlanta_Network_Technologies

Wow that is shocking. I've ordered from them many times without any issues. Never even bothered to look at their reseller ratings. They're quite good on Amazon.

I just got a G2 80GB from them on Monday. All seems fine so far.

Because that's the older G1 model ;)

Ebay/Mwave does have the lowest price on the 80GB G2, $226 using Bing cashback.

And when you factor in 8% Bing cashback, ebay also has the lowest current price on the 160gb G2 as well.
1) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEL-X25-M-160GB-SSD-2ND-GEN-34NM-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ270499863909
2) http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-X25M-160GB-SATA-SSD-SSDSA2MH160G2_W0QQitemZ330387375217
3) http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Intel-X25-M-MLC-Solid-State-Drive-MLC_W0QQitemZ380188831061

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...024&cm_re=intel_ssd_g2-_-20-167-024-_-Product

I am surprise newegg price is so much higher, they are selling it for $549

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow that is shocking. I've ordered from them many times without any issues. Never even bothered to look at their reseller ratings. They're quite good on Amazon.

I just got a G2 80GB from them on Monday. All seems fine so far.

No1 uses your cr. card to buy air line ticket? You got lucky.

I went with the 160GB version I am very happy about it. 80GB is just too small for my taste.

I got my 160gb g1, for 300 new (oem) for my macbook.
I run three 80's in raid 0, and a single 80gb for a scratch. I did do a second os on the 80, and it can get really close to being full with a large .pst and a few good sized games (along with apps and os).
I'd shoot for the 160 if possible to give yourself some future proofing, to a certain degree.

My 80GB G2 will last until a G3 with SATA 6gbps. No point spending the extra money until it'll last for a long time.

I rec'd the 80GB, unless you really REALLY need the extra space. 80GB is plenty for win7, office, and a few games. Ive got 34GB free (minus my 8GB user profile, admittedly with no page or hibernate file) with 7 and office and a few other programs installed. Plenty.

Well I pulled the trigger and it came in yesterday. I flew back from MSP where I work and started the install of Win7 this morning. Start to finish on OS Install was 15 mins. In an hour I have nearly completed the install of everything that I am going to want on the drive.

Bootup is 20 to 25 seconds from POST. Holy CRAP!!!

I installed the 640GB drive in the second bay and transferred yesterday, while at work, most of the data files that I needed to it and that definitely facilitated the move to Win7. I also downloaded all of the latest versions of the apps I was going to install.

I wanted to upgrade my laptop, but that really needs to wait till the end of Q1 or early in Q2 (for fiscal reasons). Since the gift card was burning a hole in my pocket, the SSD upgrade seemed like a good idea. The extra $250 was DEFINITELY worth it.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Well I pulled the trigger and it came in yesterday. I flew back from MSP where I work and started the install of Win7 this morning. Start to finish on OS Install was 15 mins. In an hour I have nearly completed the install of everything that I am going to want on the drive.

Bootup is 20 to 25 seconds from POST. Holy CRAP!!!

what is the brand and model of your SSD?

I got my 160gb g1, for 300 new (oem) for my macbook.
I run three 80's in raid 0, and a single 80gb for a scratch. I.

In the old days, we use RAID because hard drive is slow. Where is the logic to use technology like SCSI or RAID today w/ SSD?

I never trust RAID, as a RAID controller can fail, the more complex the tech is, the higher the chance can fail, not to mention even if it doesn't fail, there is no noticeable speed gain w/ RAID SSD vs. SSD.

Are you sure about that? Looking at benchmarks from guys who have SSDs in RAID would seem to suggest that statement is false.

There will be a difference in speed, but I don't know how noticeable it would be. A single SSD can pretty much launch every application instantly, so adding another isn't really going to help there. But, if you're reading and writing files that multiple GBs, then the second drive will have a very noticeable effect.

There will be a difference in speed, but I don't know how noticeable it would be. A single SSD can pretty much launch every application instantly, so adding another isn't really going to help there. But, if you're reading and writing files that multiple GBs, then the second drive will have a very noticeable effect.

Exactly. RAID0 won't improve your access times, but to say it provides "no noticeable speed gain" is false. I guess it depends on what your definition of "speed" is (access times vs. read/write performance).

Naturally I am referring to normal average use. Needless to say, I agree if we are dealing w/ GB of file writing, then RAID will make a difference.

But we need to factor in the risk of using a RAID controller, the more complex the disk structure is, the more element is introduce for the chance to fail.

SO unless you deal w/ GB of files writing or reading daily, I personally won't take a chance on RAID. Just like most people, I use WordPerfect, Firefox, excel, a few util., it's rare to read/write GB files daily for an average user.

I might start a new thread but thought I'd ask here first. Just got myself 2 80gb x25's. There are a two topics about whether to Raid or not but I'm still not sure. Perhaps I can expand on the situation. With SSD, is it better to minimize the number of Partitions?
Would there be more of a delay having, say, the OS/programs on 1 dirve and then games/other programs on another drive?
I read both threads all the way but am only more confused.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1471980&page=2
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1470472
If I raid I'd be using the onboard RAID controller on my p5q-DLX board. On one hand I loose TRIM, but would probably be comfortable doing a reload now and then since the array would be cloned/backed up anyway. That being said, since it's an OS drive/array if 2 drives would not affect 'real life' speed then I could ignore RAID altogether I suppose.

Thanks for your help fellas.

Back