Intel SSD, Firmware, AHCI/IDE, TRIM, Optimizer

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to do a fresh install of Win7

I have an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, with Firmware: 2CV102HD

When I run SSD Toolbox it tells me there is a newer version of firmware but gives me this message:
"Your system is in IDE Mode. The selected Intel SSD cannot be updated with the Intel SSD Toolbox in this mode. Use the Intel Firmware Update Tool located at: www.downloadcenter.intel.com."

I also cannot use the optimizer without updating to the latest firmware.

Since I am going to reinstall Win7 anyways, would it just make more sense for me to use AHCI mode when I reinstall?

How do I set up AHCI when doing a reinstall?
Just switch the BIOS setting prior to installation?
Is it likely to cause any problems with my normal ATA HDD's?

Yup, should be that easy.

You really want to run your SSD in AHCI mode anyway under Windows 7 to take advantage of TRIM. This will not work in legacy mode.

Your hard drives all sound fairly recent, so there shouldn't be issues.

Windows 7 has built in AHCI drivers. Once the BIOS setting is changed, putting in the Windows 7 DVD and doing the reinstall won't be an issue.

However, once you've installed Windows 7 in AHCI mode, changing the BIOS setting back to IDE (for whatever reason and don't see any need to) will result in blue screen when trying to boot Win 7.

Bottom line, just change it to AHCI before you install Win 7 and keep it that way.

As for updating the SSD's firmware, if Intel SSD toolbox won't let you update, I believe there's an option to download the firmware to burn on to a CD and install that way. You may have to look on Intel's support pages to find the file and instructions.

Back