INTEL SSD 760P SERIES M.2 SSD Launches Today

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Last edited:
I wish they'd compared to Samsung's class-leading products, instead of their own last-generation stuff. Guess I'll have to wait for that. U haz sample, Kyle?

any pricing i didnt see it
upload_2018-1-23_10-30-19.png

Pricing for 1TB and 2TB not announced yet.

Looks like a contender with the 960 Pro, with a lower price point. Could be interesting.

Competition would be wonderful in that space, we'll see if it suffers the same performance drop off that Intel's last generation did.

ssd sure are getting cheaper but still not as cheap as normal hard drive yet.

I wish they'd compared to Samsung's class-leading products, instead of their own last-generation stuff. Guess I'll have to wait for that. U haz sample, Kyle?

Looking at the reviews out right now, the 760p is far worse than a 960 Pro, but only slightly worse than a 960 Evo.

TechReport has a review of the 512GB version up. https://techreport.com/review/33142/intel-ssd-760p-series-512-gb-solid-state-drive-reviewed

Some quotes:
"the 760p's sequential writes just don't have that same spring in their step. In fact, it's the slowest PCIe sequential writer we've yet seen."
"The drive's read performance was amazingly fast any way you slice it, but writes were merely SATA-beating."
"At $0.39 per gigabyte, it's the cheapest PCIe drive in our set. ... Even if this particular drive is not for you, its aggressive pricing could exert welcome downward pressure on the rest of the PCIe SSD market"

For a initial retail price that isnt as bad as I thought it would be. As long as the pricing curve to 1TB isnt too bad that might replace my 2nd gen 256gb Intel SSD.

Why am I not excited about this? I will tell you. First of all .. the gold standard right now is the Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe drive. Ranging in price from $219 to $250 .... this drive has absolutely mind-bending performance you can actually see and feel. 3200MB/s read .... 6 and 7 x the performance of the fastest SATA ssd.

In fact, the Samsung EVO 960 NVMe is so damn fast it's my number one pick for favorite PC upgrade for 2017 ... I love my 1080 ti .... I do but I am used to high-end video cards. But the performance was so profound with this EVO 960 NVMe .... it left me speechless.

I had the Intel 600p 512gb NVMe drive last year for a very very short period of time. Performance was well below Samsung so I got rid of it in a heart beat. I also tried out the WD Black NVMe ... again, 1/3 the performance of the Samsung.

I can almost promise anyone that unless these drives are as fast as the gold standard and cheaper .... they are not going to gain traction. Knowing Intel ... these drives will be slower and cost more than Samsung. I am almost counting on it.

Anyone on the fence here about getting a SSD .... don't get anything other than the Samsung EVO 960 NVMe .... trust me. I've never felt as strong about an upgrade as this product.

Intel reminds me of Sony and their TVs about 10 years ago. They need a reality check since there is competition in this segment (ironically it is Samsung).
Their SSD sales deserve to bottom not only because they keep releasing slower drives than Samsung among others but also because of the VROC fiasco on the x299 platform (I have a working but worthless VROC key).

Until they release competitively priced (for a change) large and fast NVME SSDs and free up VROC on their X299 platform I will look elsewhere for fast storage SSDs. To be clear I would love a 900p as a Windows drive only because of its 4K performance. I do not like that it only comes in PCI express though.

WOOF, the read/write speeds on the 128GB that Newegg shows are downright abysmal compared to the higher capacity versions, esp. those write speeds. o_O

How will this backdoor my system?

I am expecting something with the current issues.

Sorry guys ...turns out our ssd drives are all filled with malware lurking in thw cache that bots your machine

Hmm this or the 250 960 Evo for my OS drive...

Doubt I'll notice the difference

TechReport has a review of the 512GB version up. https://techreport.com/review/33142/intel-ssd-760p-series-512-gb-solid-state-drive-reviewed

Some quotes:
"the 760p's sequential writes just don't have that same spring in their step. In fact, it's the slowest PCIe sequential writer we've yet seen."
"The drive's read performance was amazingly fast any way you slice it, but writes were merely SATA-beating."
"At $0.39 per gigabyte, it's the cheapest PCIe drive in our set. ... Even if this particular drive is not for you, its aggressive pricing could exert welcome downward pressure on the rest of the PCIe SSD market"

Thanks for linking. I was pleasantly surprised that they included the famous Intel X25 G2 160GB in the comparision. It lets you see just how far the industry has come in 7 years. What was even more intriguing is that all these new SSD's can read/write at 10x what the X25 G2 160GB can....yet Windows boot times & game load times show negligible difference. All within a second or 2 of each other. Helps keep the pissing contest in check.

Thanks for linking. I was pleasantly surprised that they included the famous Intel X25 G2 160GB in the comparision. It lets you see just how far the industry has come in 7 years. What was even more intriguing is that all these new SSD's can read/write at 10x what the X25 G2 160GB can....yet Windows boot times & game load times show negligible difference. All within a second or 2 of each other. Helps keep the pissing contest in check.
Nothing keeps the pissing contest in check, look at RAM speeds :cool:

Back