Intel Solid-State Drives Now Available at Best Buy

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel Corporation announced today that its award-winning Intel® Solid-State Drives (SSDs) are now available in 800 Best Buy* stores across the country and on BestBuy.com. SSDs can replace or complement a traditional hard drive in a notebook or desktop PC and deliver noticeably faster computer performance when booting up, opening files and running software applications. With no moving parts, these SSDs deliver greater reliability and consume less power than conventional hard disk drives (HDDs).

Prices are pretty "normal" too. Use one of the 10% off coupons that are always around and you've got the 80gb for about 200.

Oh, goody! Get to pay list price for an already expensive item!

Best plan is to wait for BB to discover they can't sell them because they over-priced them, and grab one during the "Discontinued" sale.

These have a high Geek factor, and Geek's know better than to pay List Price at a Box store.

if they can market the "greeness" of the drives i'm sure they can drive a good bit of sales to the people who really dont know better (and sell them geek squad service to install said drives for them too)

then add on sales tax, fuel and the laundry cost of not being naked when shopping...

Then add on shipping and the fact that some people would rather pay a few extra dollars to not have to wait 3 days for their item to arrive. Everything is a trade-off.

This should be good news because the Best Buy and Geeksquad Employees, no matter how retarded, evil, or greedy they are, will push the common consumer to buy SSDs. :p Should result in price decreases as more buy into it, right?

This should be good news because the Best Buy and Geeksquad Employees, no matter how retarded, evil, or greedy they are, will push the common consumer to buy SSDs. :p Should result in price decreases as more buy into it, right?

Deman goes up so does the price..

Not necessarily. Economies of scale and all that...

I agree. It is also hugely dependent upon the supply as well. If there is a massive supply increase and a small demand increase, prices will still go down.

Since this article explains SSDs like it is explaining it to retards, my best guess is not many people are using SSDs except gamers. Since gamers make up a small part of the computing community, my guess is SSDs are not in high demand, while the supply is increasing as well as the amount of competitors in the market increases (Corsair). This is just a guess though. Economics is hard to forecast no matter what.

This isn't so much about the price, but more the fact that SSD's have become accepted enough to be sold in a very "mainstream" consumer store. Meaning that the people that shop for computer stuff at Best Buy aren't exactly of the enthusiast variety. So this is good.

In before "Geek Squad offering $25 off electron calibration with purchase of any qualifying SSD".

Deman goes up so does the price..

On Newegg that's true as their real-time pricing is directly affected by demand and sheer numbers of orders for any given product. Best Buy doesn't work that way - yes they've been screwing people over for years now with one price online and another in the store but, even their system doesn't change the price in real-time like Newegg does.

Find a wicked price on something on Newegg, like something announced as a "Shell-Shocker" or whatever and as the order numbers rise and the stock decreases, the price will change and go up reflecting the supply and demand. They do it all the time and it's one of those lame business tactics that people can't stand but, the negatives of using Newegg seem to be far outweighed by the positives so, not many people focus directly on it.

But they do it, 24/7, on everything...

This is a good thing, retail/wholesale competition allows price drops.

As of this morning Newegg has the same X-25 main drive, same price, but
I'd bet this will change now, and go lower.

For those BB naysayers, there doing us a favor...:)

This is good for those of us that always get BB gift cards for birthdays and Christmas.

I wonder how much I'd get discounted for with my Reward Card.

Back