Intel Skylake-X Review Core i9 7900X

Need to consider like I mentioned before we have no idea where the CPU and motherboard came from for both the Hexus and Bit-tech review because they are outside the NDA, meaning they borrowed these from some source and not necessarily good examples.
Case in point Hexus has a different result to Bit-Tech and hitting 100c when going to 1.3V rather than lower voltages like Bit-tech
In fact 1.25V in the Hexus review managed 4.7GHz all cores with a Noctua D15S, they then swapped it out to do higher voltages towards 1.3V with AIO.
Never know could be something to do with the motherboard/BIOS and pushing too much voltage in the Bit-tech review (happened in the past), Hexus results seem to align more with Der8auer and what was hinted by 8pack at overclockersuk.
But yeah really need reviews where everything is using current HW/BIOS/etc, for loaners and reviews outside of the NDA not sure that can be fully relied upon.
Cheers

At the end of the day they are two samples, with preliminary bios etc and they are reaching 4.7GHz on all 10 cores. That is the news here really

The 10 core 7900X at 999$ is already rather pricey, but the 8core is looking really good at this point. With a good sample you can get 5Ghz on all cores on water and that sounds really sweet

At the end of the day they are two samples, with preliminary bios etc and they are reaching 4.7GHz on all 10 cores. That is the news here really

The 10 core 7900X at 999$ is already rather pricey, but the 8core is looking really good at this point. With a good sample you can get 5Ghz on all cores on water and that sounds really sweet

lets hold up there. These are the hype I usually hear from AMD fanboys. 100c on water even with bad bios is unrealistic. These are the same excuses I hear from AMD side. Now 5hz on 8 core on water? Wow Wow hold up, lol. I have a 6 core on water couldn't hit past 4.4ghz on water. Withouth a big node shrink you think intel is going to bust out a fuckin chip that will run 5ghz on all 8 core on water even with good sample? I'll be the first one to line up for that but looking at the heat produced by the 10 core, I highly doubt we will see 8 core at 5ghz.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I have a 6 core on water couldn't hit past 4.4ghz on water.
Broadwell is notorious for being shit overclocker by every account.

And yeah, 5Ghz on 7820X will require both a good sample and a delid, but come on, 5Ghz 8 core with proper IPC, even on 2% of CPUs that sounds sweet.
Withouth a big node shrink you think intel is going to bust out a fuckin chip that will run 5ghz on all 8 core on water even with good sample?
They already busted out a 10 core that can run 5ghz on 10 cores with a good sample and delid. 8 core can only be easier, right?

And yeah, 5Ghz on 7820X will require both a good sample and a delid, but come on, 5Ghz 8 core with proper IPC, even on 2% of CPUs that sounds sweet.

They already busted out a 10 core that can run 5ghz on 10 cores with a good sample and delid. 8 core can only be easier, right?

Good sample, I never get that in the first place. lol. So probability there is none for me. De lid? whats the guarantee there? I shouldnt have to do all those things paying top dollar seriously. I would rather keep my expectations in check and be happy with 4.3 ghz.

lets hold up there. These are the hype I usually hear from AMD fanboys. 100c on water even with bad bios is unrealistic. These are the same excuses I hear from AMD side. Now 5hz on 8 core on water? Wow Wow hold up, lol. I have a 6 core on water couldn't hit past 4.4ghz on water. Withouth a big node shrink you think intel is going to bust out a fuckin chip that will run 5ghz on all 8 core on water even with good sample? I'll be the first one to line up for that but looking at the heat produced by the 10 core, I highly doubt we will see 8 core at 5ghz.

Well these are realistic expectations according to der8auer. 4.6/4.7 for a normal chip. 5.0ghz if youre lucky

Good sample, I never get that in the first place. lol. So probability there is none for me. De lid? whats the guarantee there? I shouldnt have to do all those things paying top dollar seriously. I would rather keep my expectations in check and be happy with 4.3 ghz.
If you live in US then well, just get pre-binned pre-delidded sample from Silicon Lottery or something.

If you are ready to drop the money, of course.

If you live in US then well, just get pre-binned pre-delidded sample from Silicon Lottery or something.

If you are ready to drop the money, of course.

Even you limit yourself to considering 4.7ghz that's still essentially overclocked 6700k single thread performance, but across 10 cores. It's great.

I expect threadripper to cap out at around 4ghz,and it will likely draw more power than this overclocked 7900x, it can probably compete with 12 core TR thanks to its higher clocks. Pricing is going to be important here

like this
Well these are realistic expectations according to der8auer. 4.6/4.7 for a normal chip. 5.0ghz if youre lucky

It may be possible. But I am never really comfortable running my chip anything above temperature in the 70s or may be in the low 80s. I will likely clock it down until it gets there to be honest and I am not the type of person to delid a CPU.

If its like removing a cap and placing it back on yea fine. If its taking it off easily and voiding warranty then no.

Even you limit yourself to considering 4.7ghz that's still essentially overclocked 6700k single thread performance, but across 10 cores. It's great.

I expect threadripper to cap out at around 4ghz,and it will likely draw more power than this overclocked 7900x, it can probably compete with 12 core TR thanks to its higher clocks. Pricing is going to be important here

Thats just the limit of AMDs process right now. I think its like no matter what you buy, you get 4ghz lol. It will probably look better against the 16 core intel chips and bad against the 10 core intel chips but it will likely be priced similar, because I don't expect them to clock as high as 10 core. So we will have a similar situation as ryzen 8 core chips. Priced little higher then intel top end 4 core but when you match it against intel 8 core it looks really good but worse against intel's less core count and high clock rate. Either way this is the best outcome amd could have hoped for.

looks like my guess of 4.8GHz is do able and if you delid it maybe 5GHz? Time will tell but hot damn. I am excited for coffee lake on 14nm++ that must do 5GHz if 10 cores is pulling 4.7 with such crazy low voltage.

Thats just the limit of AMDs process right now. I think its like no matter what you buy, you get 4ghz lol. It will probably look better against the 16 core intel chips and bad against the 10 core intel chips but it will likely be priced similar, because I don't expect them to clock as high as 10 core. So we will have a similar situation as ryzen 8 core chips. Priced little higher then intel top end 4 core but when you match it against intel 8 core it looks really good but worse against intel's less core count and high clock rate. Either way this is the best outcome amd could have hoped for.

Process or architecture? My bet is on the last part, specially with the so extreme instant 3.9/4.0Ghz wall for all parts. Look at how low Epyc parts are clocked to stay within TDP.

It may be possible. But I am never really comfortable running my chip anything above temperature in the 70s or may be in the low 80s. I will likely clock it down until it gets there to be honest and I am not the type of person to delid a CPU.

If its like removing a cap and placing it back on yea fine. If its taking it off easily and voiding warranty then no.

Would you run an AMD chip above 50-60C? Since the throttle starts at around 75C.

>350 watts is the platform load mentioned in the article at 4.7Ghz - that's quite a bit of heat to dissipate.

With or without AVX512 clock offset? You may find the issue there. At SIMD loads at that speed it´s faster than 32 Zen cores at 4Ghz.

And yeah worth remembering Der8auer also mentioned that while it was a good selected CPU it was not the best of the bunch at the motherboard manufacturer.

NKD, you keep focusing on the Bit-tech characteristic while ignoring everything else, at the moment Bit-tech is the outlier when considering Hexus/Der8auer (tested multiple chips at the motherboard manufacturer)/OverclockersUK (also has multiple chips and not review samples).
Not saying it will be easy for most to hit 5GHz, but I think something was very unusual with the loaner Bit-tech borrowed from an unknown source and its temps/voltage-clock/performance.
I think most will be very happy with 4.6GHz to 4.7GHz all cores for a 10C and 8C with only a very good big air cooler or AIO and without delidding.

Cheers

Last edited:
thread ripper is only going to get 3.8 I wager because 3.9-4GHz is best case for the 4/8 cores and this is 4x4 in one socket. so i bet most will cap out at 3.8ghz but thats still awesome for threaded stuff that doesnt need to worry about switching between core penalty. Intel still takes the cake on single thread and not having a MCM design at 10 core unlocked or 22? core locked.

The PCIe lanes and the affordability od thread ripper is whats great. Single thread? meh but hey it has pros and cons like intel.

now back to john wick 2 and makgeolli :D. Who would hav though he coulds play a badass roflcopter

like this
And yeah worth remembering Der8auer also mentioned that while it was a good selected CPU it was not the best of the bunch at the motherboard manufacturer.

NKD, you keep focusing on the Bit-tech characteristic while ignoring everything else, at the moment Bit-tech is the outlier when considering Hexus/Der8auer (tested multiple chips at the motherboard manufacturer)/OverclockersUK (also has multiple chips and not review samples).
Not saying it will be easy for most to hit 5GHz, but I think something was very unusual with the loaner Bit-tech borrowed from an unknown source and its temps/voltage-clock/performance.
I think most will be very happy with 4.6GHz to 4.7GHz all cores for a 10C and 8C with only a very good big air cooler or AIO and without delidding.

Cheers

Still wishful thinking. I am telling you man. I have never had a retail sample match any non retail sample reviews. I have bought intel for last 8 years. I would be glad if this is true. But I keep my expectations low when it comes to intel samples and I always set them to about 200mhz lower than reviews. Unless they are reviewing retail samples that is a different story. Even hexus said the temps were insane and even their AIO couldn't keep up. I am sure its a great chip but hype is unreal.

Those clocks are impressive but there is no denying the platform was rushed. Only matching a stock 6950x in PC mark photo editing when o/c'd; Tarragen 4, 3Dmark, VRmark all lower than the 6950k; less than stellar frame rates in certain games. Also, power consumption is nothing to write home about. Again, there is a lot to like but it surely needs time to mature.

I have never had a retail sample match any non retail sample reviews.
But none of the chips discussed are review samples here, that's the point. Some are pre-production ESs (the ones reviewed), others are retail chips that were binned by OCers (der8auer's/8pack's case) Granted, keeping your expectations low is generally the best way around it, i agree.

Those clocks are impressive but there is no denying the platform was rushed. Only matching a stock 6950x in PC mark photo editing when o/c'd; Tarragen 4, 3Dmark, VRmark all lower than the 6950k; less than stellar frame rates in certain games. Also, power consumption is nothing to write home about. Again, there is a lot to like but it surely needs time to mature.

You will see changes where the 2 completely different cache architectures plays in. Same with SKL-X vs SKL/KBL/CFL.

But none of the chips discussed are review samples here, that's the point. Some are pre-production ESs (the ones reviewed), others are retail chips that were binned by OCers (der8auer's/8pack's case) Granted, keeping your expectations low is generally the best way around it, i agree.
Yep and emphasising this is also like I said to NKD or someone else earlier 8Pack at overclockersUK is also using retail chips (not just one but multiples) and not review samples, his results like I mentioned align more with Hexus and Der8auer.
But I agree that does not necessarily mean 5GHz but more expectation around all cores 4.5GHz to 4.7GHz with Noctua D15 or comparable without delidding.

Cheers

Back