Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K IPC & Overclocking Review @ [H]

A 5830K or better provides the best PCIe setup, 40 PCIe 3.0 lanes straight to the CPU.
how much will an OC-friendly X99 board plus a 5830K set you back

I just wanted to point out that there is no 5830K. It goes right from the 5820K to the 5930K.

I almost went with a 6700K recently when I built my new computer but ended up choosing a 5820K. No regrets so far, and given all the crap I tend to have going in the background (including various VMs, etc), I'm getting more use out of those extra cores than I thought I would.

I clocked a Maximus Hero and 6700k to 4.4 @ 1.295 bios. In CPU-z and hwmonitor, the cpu voltage reads 1.3445. Why is there such a big variance?

LLC is use to prevent vcore droop under load. a high setting causes voltage to increase under load.
You can change it but test stability and watch it doesnt go too high.

what? you said something completely unrelated to my statement.
2600k to 6700k, a couple of users reported 20 fps + gain in minimum fps and they can see the difference in gameplay in newer titles like Project Cars.
Why would someone NOT wanna hug 60fps?

I went from 2700k to Skylake, man Heroes of the storm runs like butter now, i use to get 80fps, now i get 120fps to match my o/c 27" monitor. Both on 970GTX.

I am planning to upgrade my PC as I have not since upgraded my CPU, Mobo (i7-2600k, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM), and RAM. I have upgraded my GPU to the EVGA 970 FTW card. I have my CPU overlocked to a stable 4.6 Ghz. I tried to go higher, but could not achieve anything higher at all and I am on water. I have been told by many that I will not see much in the way of FPS in the games I play that would justify the expense of upgrading my CPU, but they could be wrong. I just don't know.
It seems that hardware has not made any leaps and bounds since 2011.

I am planning to upgrade my PC as I have not since upgraded my CPU, Mobo (i7-2600k, Asus P8P67 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM), and RAM. I have upgraded my GPU to the EVGA 970 FTW card. I have my CPU overlocked to a stable 4.6 Ghz. I tried to go higher, but could not achieve anything higher at all and I am on water. I have been told by many that I will not see much in the way of FPS in the games I play that would justify the expense of upgrading my CPU, but they could be wrong. I just don't know.
It seems that hardware has not made any leaps and bounds since 2011.

I can tell you, they are wrong. my 6700K at stock clocks its faster than my ivy 3770K at 4.8ghz in every game i've tested and so far i've made this 6700K to reach 4.6ghz too easy.. im still toying with it. :)

I can tell you, they are wrong. my 6700K at stock clocks its faster than my ivy 3770K at 4.8ghz in every game i've tested and so far i've made this 6700K to reach 4.6ghz too easy.. im still toying with it. :)

strange upgrade. I would have went to a E platform if you wanted more.

I went from 2700k to Skylake, man Heroes of the storm runs like butter now, i use to get 80fps, now i get 120fps to match my o/c 27" monitor. Both on 970GTX.

Damn interesting... didnt think the difference would be much in a game like that.

I just got a 6700K with a Asus Maximums VIII Hero motherboard and CoolerMaster HAF 932 case. It somehow seems as if the components don't fit together right.

There is the metal plate inside the case that the motherboard attaches to, right? It has a square hole that is supposed to be where the CPU goes and has nearby holes for the CPU fan to mount to. But this square hole is misaligned with the CPU area on the mobo. It is weird. Anyone else have this problem?

I just got a 6700K with a Asus Maximums VIII Hero motherboard and CoolerMaster HAF 932 case. It somehow seems as if the components don't fit together right.

There is the metal plate inside the case that the motherboard attaches to, right? It has a square hole that is supposed to be where the CPU goes and has nearby holes for the CPU fan to mount to. But this square hole is misaligned with the CPU area on the mobo. It is weird. Anyone else have this problem?

Try using the plastic piece that holds the cpu in place. Take some pics

Your setup is fine, this is an issue with that case the CPU cutout on the back is not large enough or aligned properly, however you want to describe it, it just isnt great for the Z170 boards.

Your Choices are
1. Install the heatsink bracket before you install the motherboard.
2. Get another case with a larger cutout
3. Use a Dremel tool to teach that case a lesson.

You didn't do anything wrong. It will work fine, it is just a hassle if you ever need to change the cooler.

Your setup is fine, this is an issue with that case the CPU cutout on the back is not large enough or aligned properly, however you want to describe it, it just isnt great for the Z170 boards.

Your Choices are
1. Install the heatsink bracket before you install the motherboard.
2. Get another case with a larger cutout
3. Use a Dremel tool to teach that case a lesson.

You didn't do anything wrong. It will work fine, it is just a hassle if you ever need to change the cooler.

Thanks. The problem I have is that when I insert the CPU cooler screws into the motherboard there is some play that would let the cooler shift around. There is supposed to be a metal piece inserted between those screws to remove the play, but it doesn't fit.

Please see this photo for what I mean:
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=cb8e523

Is it OK if I do it like that, where the metal insertion piece would allow 2 out of 4 screws to become rocksteady but then the other side of the metal piece would touch the case? I don't know if that would short the mobo.

Thanks. The problem I have is that when I insert the CPU cooler screws into the motherboard there is some play that would let the cooler shift around. There is supposed to be a metal piece inserted between those screws to remove the play, but it doesn't fit.

Please see this photo for what I mean:
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=cb8e523

Is it OK if I do it like that, where the metal insertion piece would allow 2 out of 4 screws to become rocksteady but then the other side of the metal piece would touch the case? I don't know if that would short the mobo.

Add a little electric tape between them and that should do the trick!

Man I think some of the people replying to you are not even paying attention at all.

It is not okay for it to shift around, you must put that bracket on so that it fits correctly.

Take the motherboard out of the case, install the cooler properly and then install the board back into the case. Older cases do not even have a cutout so the amount of room back there is not important.

The cooler backplate will not short anything out if it touches the case. make sure you are following the directions, it should not cause the board to bend or anything like that.

A cooler should be firm up against the CPU so that it does not move, but do not over tighten either. What Cooler are you using?

Just upgraded to i7-6700k from my i7-920, which did 5+ years of solid service. I ran the 920 at 4 ghz. So far, messing around with the 6700k in the 4.5-4.7 ghz range. And, frankly, I'm not seeing any material difference in games.

This might be the 900th time asked, but whats up with it being out of stock everywhere? Isn't this Intel's flagship processor? I haven't seen it get in stock at Newegg in a week. I would think that it should be well stocked for the holiday season.

In case it isn't obvious, I am indeed very out of the loop on current hardware.

This might be the 900th time asked, but whats up with it being out of stock everywhere? Isn't this Intel's flagship processor? I haven't seen it get in stock at Newegg in a week. I would think that it should be well stocked for the holiday season.

In case it isn't obvious, I am indeed very out of the loop on current hardware.

They are probably trying to get rid of Devils Canyon by years end. Accounting BS CPA. Lol

They are probably trying to get rid of Devils Canyon by years end. Accounting BS CPA. Lol

Is there any way to find out when retailers will get it in stock, or do I just have to F5 every few hours? I have a computer ready to be built, but I don't think it is going to work so well without a processor, you know.

Is there any way to find out when retailers will get it in stock, or do I just have to F5 every few hours? I have a computer ready to be built, but I don't think it is going to work so well without a processor, you know.

Probably just need to check around 8-9 Pacific through 10-11 am. No guarantees, but that's when they went live on Newegg in September.

Until this post, I didn't know they were OOS again.

Probably just need to check around 8-9 Pacific through 10-11 am. No guarantees, but that's when they went live on Newegg in September.

Until this post, I didn't know they were OOS again.

Oof, I'm asleep during that time. Do you have any other hints for me? They are out of stock everywhere, the only thing I can do is buy it from price gougers on Amazon resellers, or ebay. And I'd rather buy it from a place I can return it, just in case.

I have an entire mountain of computer components and accessories in the corner, and a tiny little chip that is OOS makes it a big pile of uselessness!

Oof, I'm asleep during that time. Do you have any other hints for me? They are out of stock everywhere, the only thing I can do is buy it from price gougers on Amazon resellers, or ebay. And I'd rather buy it from a place I can return it, just in case.

I have an entire mountain of computer components and accessories in the corner, and a tiny little chip that is OOS makes it a big pile of uselessness!

Nope, that's it. I'm not saying they'll sell out instantly, but that's when they seemed to go live (based on reports in one of these 6700k threads).

Setup a free account on www.nowinstock.net and setup a tracker for the cpu you want. They can send your emails or txt alerts. I've used it extensively when the 970's would be oos within minutes of being in stock.

Setup a free account on www.nowinstock.net and setup a tracker for the cpu you want. They can send your emails or txt alerts. I've used it extensively when the 970's would be oos within minutes of being in stock.

Thanks. I guess that is the best I can do.

Make more of these CPUs, Intel! Take my money.

Yep I was going to upgrade over the holidays too since I took some time off. 6700K OOS everywhere now. Should have bought it a month ago. Either there are a LOT of 6700K stocking stuffers or Intel is pulling some bullshit again.

Yep I was going to upgrade over the holidays too since I took some time off. 6700K OOS everywhere now. Should have bought it a month ago. Either there are a LOT of 6700K stocking stuffers or Intel is pulling some bullshit again.

They probably concentrated on chips that the big builders are using. I don't follow this all the time, but has this happened before?

Seems like price gouging is occuring because of this, which is a bummer. I've seen it selling for over $400 >_>

Seems like price gouging is occuring because of this, which is a bummer. I've seen it selling for over $400 >_>

Yeah, no kidding. A month ago or so when I inquired about people's experiences with them here they were only $349. Now, I can only find them for over $400.

I've since reconsidered the 5820K on a 2011-V3 board.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on purchasing. ...the market is to volatile right now for me to dump cash on computer parts.

Thanks for the review. I was wondering what PSU you guys use for overclocking. Thanks.

These chips are a little hard to swallow at the $400 price point, wouldn't mind seeing them at $350 again. Anyone care to dive into Intel's roadmaps to see when we might find a higher factory clocked variant of this bad boy?? I'm sure an extreme edition is a ways out, but looking for say a i7-6900k?

These chips are a little hard to swallow at the $400 price point, wouldn't mind seeing them at $350 again. Anyone care to dive into Intel's roadmaps to see when we might find a higher factory clocked variant of this bad boy?? I'm sure an extreme edition is a ways out, but looking for say a i7-6900k?

I read somewhere that the price went up, because retailers felt they could get it and let's face it, in a business where margins are thin, an extra 50 bucks is huge. I'm just glad I got mine when they were 350 or 360

I'd recommend buying from a retailer with a return policy. One of my 6700k chips wasn't stable at STOCK when using 4 sticks of RAM. I exchanged it at Newegg and the replacement is 100% stable OC'd at 4.7 ghz with 4 sticks of RAM. So HUGE difference between those chips.

Hmm good to know - I might wait until these drop again and if not might have to bite at current price point.

Back