Intel Shows Off 10nm Ice Lake SOC

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While the desktop processors Intel announced yesterday were all 14nm parts based on existing silicon, they also teased some of their upcoming 10nm products. Gregory Bryant, the senior vice president of Intel's Client Computing Group, held up an Ice Lake system on a chip, which he claimed is Intel's "first volume 10nm client SoC." Bryant said it's the first platform to take advantage of Intel's "Sunny Cove" CPU architecture, as well as the first platform to feature Gen 11 integrated graphics and to integrate Thunderbolt 3 and WiFI 6 into the SoC itself. Intel briefly mentioned that the chip will have new instructions designed to accelerate machine learning inference, claiming that they will offer a "2x performance boost" in that particular scenario. To demonstrate the new chip, another Intel official held up several laptops running Office, a graphics workload, and a machine learning inference test. At the news conference, Intel really tried to emphasize that Ice Lake doesn't just exist, but is already up and running in pre-production laptops from Dell, Pegatron, and other big partners.

The vision for tomorrow's mobile PC platform is firmly aligned with Intel's upcoming first volume 10nm PC processor, code-named "Ice Lake." Ice Lake brings a new level of integration with Intel's new Sunny Cove microarchitecture, instruction sets to accelerate AI usage and a graphics engine, and Intel Gen11 graphics to improve graphics performance for richer gaming and content creation experiences. Intel's OEM partners are expected to have new devices with Ice Lake on shelves by holiday 2019.

I guess this means the usual song and dance of having to wait for the "Architecture" phase in Intel's "Process-Architecture-Optimization" cycle for desktop parts on 10nm. So 2020-2021? I wonder if that means yet another Coffee Lake refresh in the meantime to attempt to compete with AMD's new processors coming out this year.

Ice Lake. Kind of funny name. Is that what it is going to take to cool it? an Ice Lake.

So, is this the "gimped" 10nm we have been hearing about that is being pursued in a last ditch attattempt to salvage their failed 10nm process?

'System on a ship'?

"Ahoy, maties! Our silicon treasure has arrived!" :p

I'm hoping 10nm will be a good improvement over existing tech. I couldn't imagine stuffing a mobile version of the 9900 into a laptop without a hefty weight adding cooling system.

'System on a ship'?

giphy.gif

'System on a ship'?

I'm hoping 10nm will be a good improvement over existing tech. I couldn't imagine stuffing a mobile version of the 9900 into a laptop without a hefty weight adding cooling system.
Yeah SOS, it applies to Intels 10nm.

Last edited:
How many PCIE lanes? If the answer is 20 or 24 than screw off. If they cant get serious about matching AMD on this with all of the NVME drives out there than they are not serious about being competitive.
16 with the option of model 'c' with 32 lanes for 129$ more, but requires a different mobo with the ' f' model chipset which is 37$ more, but also gives you 4 more usb 3 ports.

How many PCIE lanes? If the answer is 20 or 24 than screw off. If they cant get serious about matching AMD on this with all of the NVME drives out there than they are not serious about being competitive.
Especially with consumer PCI-E 3.0 x8 drives supposedly coming out this year.

If AMD has new product coming out in the next few months. Then AMD is going to be the way to go. Who wants to wait another year for slow intel. If intel had something I think they would of shown it already

I thought AMD had a larger lead on chiplets and whatnot. Seems like maybe they're only 6 months to a year ahead? I really hope intel's 10nm doesn't suck. It's shaping up to be an interesting year.

I am still holding out on my new CPU purchase and GPU purchase, I was going to get the 2700X but I am holding out to see what the 3000 series has to offer in a few months, same goes for the GPU was going to snag a 2080 but I am hoping AMD comes to the table with an alternative. For what I am doing I need core counts I mostly run a crap load of diagnostic and monitoring software on my work machine now and I am finding the higher core counts really help keep things running smooth. The Intel offerings for the high core counts just aren't cost effective their gimping of the PCI lanes on most of their platforms hurts when you are running dual SFP+ and quad ethernet ports in the expansion slots.

Dang it, at first I thought he said Megatron. A Transformer has to run on something.

I am still holding out on my new CPU purchase and GPU purchase, I was going to get the 2700X but I am holding out to see what the 3000 series has to offer in a few months, same goes for the GPU was going to snag a 2080 but I am hoping AMD comes to the table with an alternative. For what I am doing I need core counts I mostly run a crap load of diagnostic and monitoring software on my work machine now and I am finding the higher core counts really help keep things running smooth. The Intel offerings for the high core counts just aren't cost effective their gimping of the PCI lanes on most of their platforms hurts when you are running dual SFP+ and quad ethernet ports in the expansion slots.
Same here. 2700X looks good, but I'm waiting to see what's coming down the pike. I'm contemplating a Threadripper - even though it is overkill for what I use my PC for. However, I've been using a 2600k which was more than I needed many years ago. I'm fine if I get 5+ years out of a system.

Same here. 2700X looks good, but I'm waiting to see what's coming down the pike. I'm contemplating a Threadripper - even though it is overkill for what I use my PC for. However, I've been using a 2600k which was more than I needed many years ago. I'm fine if I get 5+ years out of a system.
I got myself a decent B450 board on the cheap so I am just waiting to fill it.

Back