Intel Shelton "ITX" - A Via Eden/EPIA alternative

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor Systems' started by widefault, Jul 18, 2005.

1. omega-x

omega-x 2[H]4U

doesnt quite beat 1ghz with 12watt TDP,onboard vid and lan + PCI slot. for 90 shipped. :)

though i might be interested in what you're about to sell if it's sub 30watt for about the same price :)

2. Glyndur

Glyndur Gawd

I've been playing around more with mine, I just got my PicoPSU so I am doing some more case modding for it. It really is a great little board.

3. omega-x

omega-x 2[H]4U

anyone have a shelton board that's interested in selling it? :)

4. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Welp, my board is dead. Caps are bulging/leaking and the board won't power up for more than a few minutes. Anyone else? (May be due to the extreme operating temps mine was subjected to.)

5. Qwertyman

Qwertyman 2[H]4U

what were you running f@h or was it just the ambient temperature? Mine's working fine, although I cannot get linux to install...must be the hard drive.

6. swatbat

swatbat [H]ardForum Junkie

You going to replace the caps?

7. Dew

Dew 2[H]4U

Nope, I really don't know what I'm going to do with the board. Trash most likely. You can have it for the cost of shipping(you can have the butchered itx case and psu too). I've already replaced it with an Athlon64 3000+ system, so it serves no purpose for me anymore.

Nah, Azureus 24/7 + 2hdds in a case with little space for ventilation(less than 1CM) and only the PSU fan. It was stable though, I'll give it that.

8. Qwertyman

Qwertyman 2[H]4U

sell it on the boards here, someone will take it. By the by the new version of ubuntu is swell (in some ways) although this board is funky with a cdrom and hd on the same channel.

9. kookaburra

kookaburra n00bie

Hi Widefault,

I have saw those P-M cpu in e-bay are Socket 478, is it possiblel to plug into the MB with Socket-479 ?

thx

10. widefault

widefault [H]ardness Supreme

If it's a Pentium-M, it'll work, but beware the sellers who call a P4-M a P-M. Both have 478 pins, but only the Pentium-M will fit the Socket 479 boards.

You also have to be on the lookout for some sellers who have BGA chips. There was a seller not too long ago who was selling 2GHz Pentium-Ms, but they were the ones designed to be soldered directly to the board like the Shelton chips. Now if anyone was crazy enough, it could be interesting to try to replace the Shelton with a real P-M.

Oh yeah, a Shelton-esque CPU is being used on a lot of embedded system boards, but at 600MHz and with different amounts of cache. Here's one of my future purchases. I've got their socketed version running a P-M 1.4Ghz right now, but the appeal of a fanless system is strong. Too bad I could have bought about four Sheltons for the cost of one of the above.

11. kookaburra

kookaburra n00bie

so, can Pentium-M with 478 pin like this, support the motherboard IBASE MB890???

12. kookaburra

kookaburra n00bie

and.... where can you get shelton??

13. bbzidane

bbzidane n00bie

i too would like to know where i can get an intel shelton mini-itx board for ~150
    all the ones i can find, jetway/commell all costs like 250+

14. widefault

widefault [H]ardness Supreme

That should work fine. Wish Intel wouldn't call them Socket 478, just leads to confusion.

As to where to find a Shelton? I think they're all gone. Haven't seen one on ebay for a month or two now. Wish I'd bought more when I had the chance.