Intel Scaleo Home Server $129 at newegg (Dead Deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
installs whs also. Wish i wouldnt have bought that 6600 off the forums here or id have gotten this. way quieter i bet then my current whs.

How is this as a file server and I assume an upgrade on the CPU is unnecessary for a file server? I want to stream videos and music to various computers from one file server

How is this as a file server and I assume an upgrade on the CPU is unnecessary for a file server? I want to stream videos and music to various computers from one file server

The upgrades are not needed as a file server under linux, it's already way faster then other NAS devices, i.e. the included hardware is already overkill for just a fileserver. I still upgraded the ram before i even turned it on as I had some already.

If your running Windows on it, upgrade the RAM to 2gb, it's Windows, it'll need it.

The cpu upgrade is more for the [H] crowd that want to do more with it (like using Windows with PlayOn to get Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix and streaming that out to linux frontends (like XBMC))

The upgrades are not needed as a file server under linux, it's already way faster then other NAS devices, i.e. the included hardware is already overkill for just a fileserver. I still upgraded the ram before i even turned it on as I had some already.

If your running Windows on it, upgrade the RAM to 2gb, it's Windows, it'll need it.

The cpu upgrade is more for the [H] crowd that want to do more with it (like using Windows with PlayOn to get Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix and streaming that out to linux frontends (like XBMC))

By any chance do you have this unit? I am just concern now about installing WHS, is it really that difficult?

Sweet I've wanted one of these for a while! Hopefully 4 2tb drives in raid5 will be enough storage for my blue ray backups. Any larger drives on the horizon?

web server, no problem

Yes i have one of these.
While I did have WHS installed, it was a trial, i've switched back to busybox on it.

To install WHS, use the guide below.

Install of WHS without a video card
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index....-installed-whs-into-a-ss4200-e-with-no-video/

Here's some info condensed from wegotserved.com
2tb drive limit, can use the modified bios and drivers and use port multipler (eSata) to expand to 12 drives
can use the ide drive, either with modified bios and/or sticking the button in the rear of the unit with something to keep it active in windows

A Compact Flash to IDE adapter with CF card can be used in place of the DOM to run EMC's busybox that comes with the -E version of the scaleo home server
http://ss4200.pbworks.com/w/page/5122742/Convert SS4200-EHW to SS4200-E
note: the EMC os info can be found in google groups, scroll down on the pbworks page, it's linux, it's open source
drivers and stuff from intel
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...tProduct=Intel®+Entry+Storage+System+SS4200-E

Last edited:
hmm this is pretty promising.

another quick question, any idea what idle wattage this would use?

depends on your drives, it's a celeron 420 cpu with 512ram on a 945 chipset, i.e. not much power is used

from tom's hardware review - google search for ss4200 power use
Power Consumption 2x HDD 4x HDD
Sleep 35 W 38 W
Idle 46 W 60 W
Operating 50 W 73 W

Sweet I've wanted one of these for a while! Hopefully 4 2tb drives in raid5 will be enough storage for my blue ray backups. Any larger drives on the horizon?

3TB drives are out already, the problem is that they require workarounds for you to get them to be bootable and addressable. Apparently there's a 2.19 TB limitation on hard drives. So unless you can get a bios update or EFI extensions to address larger than 2.19 TB, the 2TB drives are your best bet for hassle free installation.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1442/1/

PS can this thing really house 4x 3.5" hdds? It doesn't look big enough to me somehow. I'm also worried they might overheat in such a small enclosure.

3TB drives are out already, the problem is that they require workarounds for you to get them to be bootable and addressable. Apparently there's a 2.19 TB limitation on hard drives. So unless you can get a bios update or EFI extensions to address larger than 2.19 TB, the 2TB drives are your best bet for hassle free installation.

PS can this thing really house 4x 3.5" hdds? It doesn't look big enough to me somehow. I'm also worried they might overheat in such a small enclosure.

Take a look at the pics on Newegg. It looks like it can easily house all of that storage.

I have one of these with 4x 2tb drives in it and upgraded ram. Setup was a snap and having 5.41tb of raid 5 remote storage for playing HD content seamlessly anywhere in the house is a great feature.

Anyone know if I can RAID CentOS? I assume the controller will allow but dont know for sure.

sent the link to a friend. This is a cool little box.

In for 1. :) I was || close to buying it over the weekend, when it was still $220. It was this or a D-Link DNS-321, which pales in comparison but can be had for less than $100. $130 for this, now? SOLD! :D

Intel SS4200-EHW has been removed from shopping cart due to quantity limitation/insufficient stock. Some combo items might be affected by this.

Dead deal now.

Not for the ext3 or ext4 file systems in Linux.

I know people often want to use WHS for a file server, but Ubuntu 10.04 can do the job for free, just as well, and with ease of configuration. With one Samba configuration file, I can quickly control what folders are shared, what users have what permissions, etc.

Also, this is a great deal, but it looks like something Brunswick designed in the 60's because it belongs in a bowling alley of the 60's. It looks like an overgrown transistor radio. They should have designed it better.

I'd be in for one if they had a rackmount version that looked better - but just as well I can get a heavy duty rackmount case for under $100 so I could swap the hardware out if I wanted.

By the way, my 4U fileserver which has about 6TB now and growing is completely Linux and it was very easy to set up. It has nearly the same hardware as this except it has an E7200. Yes, my signature is out of date :)

But, this would be great to put in the closet somewhere as long as nobody saw it.

Also, this is a great deal, but it looks like something Brunswick designed in the 60's because it belongs in a bowling alley of the 60's. It looks like an overgrown transistor radio. They should have designed it better.

But, this would be great to put in the closet somewhere as long as nobody saw it.

But the whole transister radio look is what makes it so cool! Well, cool for me because it matches my UPS somewhat, but still! :p

Would be useful to have, and I thought it looked like a suitcase on my first glance.

But Im writing this to comment on how this actually seemed like they put effort into making it a deal. 90 bucks off 200 some odd dollars when most everything else in that range for BF and CM was 10, maybe 20 bucks off.

At least they had something that was noticeably on sale, it was depressing looking at how little they were discounting stuff.

I've had one of these "Suitecase NAS" for about 6months to a year now. Very well thought out inside! Great build quality too :cool:
Even comes with a quality 250watt (iirc) power supply made by Delta.

Gah waited to long! Seems I saw one of these on sale about this time last year and have wanted one since then. Wait another year? Anyone have alternative suggestions? Next best price is a whole $100 more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back