Intel says stop overclocking your 7700k

$39. Might not look like a lot but adds up to billions.

Are you talking about the 39$ for the faster stock 7700K vs 7700? You may have missed the 2 CPUs are not clocked the same.

7700 3.6Ghz base, 4.2Ghz turbo.
7700K 4.2Ghz base, 4.5Ghz turbo.

Quite the difference besides being unlocked.

Except for the Kingpin, right?

Edit: and the Classified too, I suppose.

The "kingpin" is a sub version of the classified, the classy is voltage locked, the kingpin is not voltage locked, it is however power locked, meaning once you reach a given power envelope you can not go any higher, which is why there are BIOS mods and other mods to get pass this limit for the classy line. More or less the same thing. Also, in the very first line of the warranty for EVGA it states:

"Graphics Cards that are modified by customer outside of factory specifications and/or not in factory condition."

You are also paying a SIGNIFICANT premium for the card over stock cards, much like paying for the tuning plan from Intel.

By far the best thread ever. So glad I didn't got 7700k.
my-body-is-ready-amd-ryzen-my-body-is-ready.jpg

The quote contradicts your previous statement.

No it doesn't. They said that running the CPU outside of spec is not covered under warranty. Something this entire forum that still knows how to read has known for years.

Remember, none of these people have a bad, broken or anything like that chip. They have a chip they are claiming does not hold a temp to their liking, which Intel then states is not something they will warranty. The temp spikes have now (if you read the posts) been found to be almost all at fault due to auto overclocking and user problems.

The "kingpin" is a sub version of the classified, the classy is voltage locked, the kingpin is not voltage locked, it is however power locked, meaning once you reach a given power envelope you can not go any higher, which is why there are BIOS mods and other mods to get pass this limit for the classy line. More or less the same thing. Also, in the very first line of the warranty for EVGA it states:

"Graphics Cards that are modified by customer outside of factory specifications and/or not in factory condition."

You are also paying a SIGNIFICANT premium for the card over stock cards, much like paying for the tuning plan from Intel.

No it isn't - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/voltage-tool-evga-1080-classified.227761/

And EVGA can't tell what the user does via software, so as long as you don't physically damage the card there won't be an issue.

And before you say no, BULLSHIT on you. I owned two 780 Ti Classifieds that I used the compatible voltage tool to push it beyond Nvidia's spec - and when one developed VRAM issues the RMA went though just fine.

Edit: I also owned a 980 Ti Classified, and I did use the voltage tool once (it didn't help as much as it did with the 780 Tis), and I stepped up to a 1080 ACX just fine using it (and then bought the iCX upgrade, and then stepped up to the 1080 Ti FE - but that's neither here nor there).

Last edited:
O god now people think since AMD's stock went down that somehow AMD leaked this issue with the 7700k's LOL......crazy ass people.

Wow telling people who buy a processor that is unlocked and made to overclock to not overclock them?......Really?

Yeah....(Insert Dirtbag Steve hat). Intel must not have much of an QC department. Or they probably just don't care.

No it doesn't. They said that running the CPU outside of spec is not covered under warranty. Something this entire forum that still knows how to read has known for years.

Remember, none of these people have a bad, broken or anything like that chip. They have a chip they are claiming does not hold a temp to their liking, which Intel then states is not something they will warranty. The temp spikes have now (if you read the posts) been found to be almost all at fault due to auto overclocking and user problems.
No you didn't. Had you, you would have seen they said no where about not over clocking

Alright, Intel employee, the statement reads: "We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency"

Yeah....(Insert Dirtbag Steve hat). Intel must not have much of an QC department. Or they probably just don't care.

Well TBH the tim for the CPU is pretty bad. So yea QC sucks, thats why people de-lid the CPU's for better temps.

O god now people think since AMD's stock went down that somehow AMD leaked this issue with the 7700k's LOL......crazy ass people.

Never invest in a company with emotions. A lot of Red Team and Red Team Plus members must be looking with a dire view on their balance. I know at least 2 die hard AMD fans who lost 35K$ and 20K$ respectively from that day.

I haven't see any evidence besides an article without it for the 90C spikes either.

Well TBH the tim for the CPU is pretty bad. So yea QC sucks, thats why people de-lid the CPU's for better temps.

The TIM isn't bad, the gap is. But if it wasn't there, you end up with failed CPUs for another reason.

Whenever someone says the TIM is bad I immediately assume the worst about that person for several reasons.

1. Nobody has actually benched the TIM, it's not even possible unless you get a tube of it somehow. No one who says "The TIM is bad" has ever cited a benchmark. This leads to #2:
2. It means you believe random shit on the internet without proof. And then you spread the SAME misinformation yourself.
3. It means you lack critical thinking ability and jump to the most obvious/simplest answer.
4. It means you lack basic understanding of how a CPU heatspreader works, and what changes when a de-lid is performed, ie: More than just the paste is involved.

S3ZHC1x.png

Last edited:
Whenever someone says the TIM is bad I immediately assume the worst about that person for several reasons.

1. Nobody has actually benched the TIM, it's not even possible unless you get a tube of it somehow. No one who says "The TIM is bad" has ever cited a benchmark. This leads to #2:
2. It means you believe random shit on the internet without proof. And then you spread the SAME misinformation yourself.
3. It means you lack critical thinking ability and jump to the most obvious/simplest answer.
4. It means you lack basic understanding of how a CPU heatspreader works, and what changes when a de-lid is performed, ie: More than just the paste is involved.

IDontCare benched the TIM. And it was good. The conclusion was also it was the gap.

No it isn't - https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/voltage-tool-evga-1080-classified.227761/

And EVGA can't tell what the user does via software, so as long as you don't physically damage the card there won't be an issue.

And before you say no, BULLSHIT on you. I owned two 780 Ti Classifieds that I used the compatible voltage tool to push it beyond Nvidia's spec - and when one developed VRAM issues the RMA went though just fine.

Edit: I also owned a 980 Ti Classified, and I did use the voltage tool once (it didn't help as much as it did with the 780 Tis), and I stepped up to a 1080 ACX just fine using it (and then bought the iCX upgrade, and then stepped up to the 1080 Ti FE - but that's neither here nor there).

Read what you just posted.

What you can get away with has nothing to do with the terms. EVGA states, just as Intel does, that running outside of spec will void the warranty, more than a number of people here have RMAed Intel chips they pushed way to much voltage into and had them replace the chip, many of those stories have been posted here. They obviously didn't tell Intel they were doing that. However the whole statement is that "others" are ok with running their HW outside of spec, which they are not.

Also, in my post I mentioned the classy over volt tool as the main point that EVGA does not allow you to go out of spec, because it is hard limited by the HW or BIOS. Because there is a work around or modded BIOS does not mean EVGA will warranty it. Getting EVGA to warranty it however is totally different.

Read what you just posted.

What you can get away with has nothing to do with the terms. EVGA states, just as Intel does, that running outside of spec will void the warranty, more than a number of people here have RMAed Intel chips they pushed way to much voltage into and had them replace the chip, many of those stories have been posted here. They obviously didn't tell Intel they were doing that. However the whole statement is that "others" are ok with running their HW outside of spec, which they are not.

Also, in my post I mentioned the classy over volt tool as the main point that EVGA does not allow you to go out of spec, because it is hard limited by the HW or BIOS. Because there is a work around or modded BIOS does not mean EVGA will warranty it. Getting EVGA to warranty it however is totally different.

And please ignore EVGA technicians, and moderators, who say that you just have to put the card back the way it was for warranty. VBIOS, HSF, etc.

Look, I'm done with you. You obviously don't have first hand experience dealing with EVGA, and that's fine.

And please ignore EVGA technicians, and moderators, who say that you just have to put the card back the way it was for warranty. VBIOS, HSF, etc.

Look, I'm done with you. You obviously don't have first hand experience dealing with EVGA, and that's fine.

You do understand that your whole reasoning is that if you hide what you did well enough, they will RMA it. If that is the case then why are you mad at Intel? As doing the same thing with them will also get you an RMA.

The point is that their terms, JUST LIKE INTEL, is that if the HW was run outside of spec, the warranty is void, that is in black and white in the terms on EVGAs site. I am sorry that does not match up with your hated view of Intel.

I am so glad the tiny company named AMD figured out how to put the lid on right on their chips and the giant monolith company Intel cant figure it out and you apologist go out of your way to blame everyone else. Simple fact for what Intel charges they can do it right and solder the damn thing on and this issue wouldn't be happening. But hell lets spin it as everyone else not understanding how it works and they are the problem, I really hope you guys get checks from Intel, I would hate to think you do this all for free.

I am so glad the tiny company named AMD figured out how to put the lid on right on their chips and the giant monolith company Intel cant figure it out and you apologist go out of your way to blame everyone else. Simple fact for what Intel charges they can do it right and solder the damn thing on and this issue wouldn't be happening. But hell lets spin it as everyone else not understanding how it works and they are the problem, I really hope you guys get checks from Intel, I would hate to think you do this all for free.
Who cares, the 7700K can hit about 5 GHz without delidding. Meanwhile the Ryzen quads top out at about 4 GHz and with 10% worse IPC. Same goes for the 6C and 8C chips to a lesser degree. Where is the outrage about Ryzen's gimped clock rates? Perhaps Intel should fuck all their uarchs until they top out at 4 GHz, heat won't be a problem then.

Even the five year old 3770K, Intel's first non-soldered enthusiast chip, smokes the Ryzen quads both in clocks and IPC. Haswell runs even hotter and still manages to do it.

If it's a trade between 25% higher clocks vs 20C cooler temps, I'll take the higher clocks every time. Pretty sure even AMD fans would gladly take Ryzen up to 4.5+ GHz if it means running hotter.

Last edited:

Bro when you come over here in the Intel forum and actually try to talk about something that exists in reality you will get shut down fast by the nuclear reactor powered bias they have over here.

Who cares, the 7700K can hit about 5 GHz without delidding. Meanwhile the Ryzen quads top out at about 4 GHz and with 10% worse IPC. Same goes for the 6C and 8C chips to a lesser degree. Where is the outrage about Ryzen's gimped clock rates? Perhaps Intel should fuck all their uarchs until they top out at 4 GHz, heat won't be a problem then.

Even the five year old 3770K, Intel's first non-soldered enthusiast chip, smokes the Ryzen quads both in clocks and IPC. Haswell runs even hotter and still manages to do it.

If it's a trade between 25% higher clocks vs 20C cooler temps, I'll take the higher clocks every time. Pretty sure even AMD fans would gladly take Ryzen up to 4.5+ GHz if it means running hotter.

Oh please if the 7700K hit 5 ghz easily then why are their literally people all over this forum and others whining that their chip melts trying to reach it. Most people that have hit 5ghz they took the lid off or turned off avx and that is reality. AMD uses a different process and since I got 8 cores and 16 threads while others only got 4 cores and 8 threads for the same cash. Guess you got the benchmark crown for games, I know 5 fps is making a huge difference when your over 100 fps anyway. I will take double the cores over a tiny bit better IPC cause I actually use my computer for work but oh no newer games are using more cores so pretty soon your 4 core is going to feel pretty weak. Writing is on the wall, programs are going to use more cores as the speed of the chips are hitting a wall. I still laugh at people that think Coffee lake is going to clock much faster then where Kaby is at, you know that chip that like to run at 90C and throttle with just 4 cores. Look at your own rig and you know despite my 1700 only running at 3.9 it will smoke yours. 4 cores has reached it's peak and now thankfully were moving on to using more cores as time goes on.

Bro when you come over here in the Intel forum and actually try to talk about something that exists in reality you will get shut down fast by the nuclear reactor powered bias they have over here.

Yeah I know, but I am hoping a few people might see them for what they are and make a informed choice rather then blindly believe their fud.

Oh please if the 7700K hit 5 ghz easily then why are their literally people all over this forum and others whining that their chip melts trying to reach it. Most people that have hit 5ghz they took the lid off or turned off avx and that is reality. AMD uses a different process and since I got 8 cores and 16 threads while others only got 4 cores and 8 threads for the same cash. Guess you got the benchmark crown for games, I know 5 fps is making a huge difference when your over 100 fps anyway. I will take double the cores over a tiny bit better IPC cause I actually use my computer for work but oh no newer games are using more cores so pretty soon your 4 core is going to feel pretty weak. Writing is on the wall, programs are going to use more cores as the speed of the chips are hitting a wall. I still laugh at people that think Coffee lake is going to clock much faster then where Kaby is at, you know that chip that like to run at 90C and throttle with just 4 cores. Look at your own rig and you know despite my 1700 only running at 3.9 it will smoke yours. 4 cores has reached it's peak and now thankfully were moving on to using more cores as time goes on.
What does my rig have to do with anything? My 4670K cost less 3 years ago than the 1700 does today. They're not even comparable.
The sad thing for AMD is, I've been on the upgrade path for over 6 months now. I actually waited for Ryzen 5, and I'm passing on it to continue waiting for Coffee Lake, because Ryzen is such a weak upgrade for me. With my current OC Ryzen is basically a match in gaming.

The fact of the matter is, there are more important places to focus your outrage at the moment... Like Intel's ridiculous pricing model.
If all of Intel's processors were matched dollar-for-dollar with their Ryzen counterparts, Ryzen would be obsolete. Even with Intel's "shitty TIM" they are superior products across the board.

Let's focus on Intel's actual weak points and not manufactured outrage.

Last edited:
What does my rig have to do with anything? My 4670K cost less 3 years ago than the 1700 does today. They're not even comparable.
The sad thing for AMD is, I've been on the upgrade path for over 6 months now. I actually waited for Ryzen 5, and I'm passing on it to continue waiting for Coffee Lake, because Ryzen is such a weak upgrade for me.

The fact of the matter is, there are more important places to focus your outrage at the moment... Like Intel's ridiculous pricing model.
If all of Intel's processors were matched dollar-for-dollar with their Ryzen counterparts, Ryzen would be obsolete. Even with Intel's "shitty TIM" they are superior products across the board.

Let's focus on Intel's actual weak points and not manufactured outrage.

Oh please if AMD ran that hot you would be all over it, simple fact is at the current process it's more efficient then Intel right now, which is surprising since that has rarely been the case. Intel will never match AMD on price as they know people will buy it anyway, if not they have servers and they make a ton of money on that alone. They never have cared how AMD prices their stuff even when Intel had worse chips then AMD. That is why I laugh at people thinking Coffee Lake is going to be priced cheap, it would not fit their pattern and arrogance. Plus I have a easy upgrade path when Zen+ comes out and well your facing a entire system upgrade. But I am sorry Intel saying dont overclock your cpu is a laugh of a answer when they sell the chip unlocked for that purpose, that is just a massive fail and they deserved to be called out on it.

Oh please if AMD ran that hot you would be all over it, simple fact is at the current process it's more efficient then Intel right now, which is surprising since that has rarely been the case. Intel will never match AMD on price as they know people will buy it anyway, if not they have servers and they make a ton of money on that alone. They never have cared how AMD prices their stuff even when Intel had worse chips then AMD. That is why I laugh at people thinking Coffee Lake is going to be priced cheap, it would not fit their pattern and arrogance. Plus I have a easy upgrade path when Zen+ comes out and well your facing a entire system upgrade. But I am sorry Intel saying dont overclock your cpu is a laugh of a answer when they sell the chip unlocked for that purpose, that is just a massive fail and they deserved to be called out on it.
If the R5 1500X could hit 5 GHz, then it can run as hot as it wants.
Intel said they don't recommend overclocking out of spec. They have to say that since the chips aren't rated for that. AMD has the same response in their own lawyer lingo.

Intel did not say "Don't overclock your CPU".
Manufactured. Outrage.

Lmao haha I have said this countless times and even got Troll hammered by Kyle a few times because of how strongly I suggested peoples claim of 5 fps being superior in everyway to AMD was total BS. Haha many obviously seen me as a troll so I just walked away from.the argument.

However, with regard to Intel. They are a juggernaut and they will not be undersold. They will design a desktop 12 core with HT in the next 5 years that will obliterate AMD unless AMD has thier R and D shit together now. Competition is delicious.

BS. And you know AMD and Intel measures temperature differently. What's the throttle temperature for Ryzen again? Is it 75C? Not to mention their lack of ability to stay within TDP.

Efficiency my rear end.

I think I know why you fear CFL-S, it instantly puts another company top product back to 250$.

BS. And you know AMD and Intel measures temperature differently. What's the throttle temperature for Ryzen again? Is it 75C? Not to mention their lack of ability to stay within TDP.

Efficiency my rear end.
I think I know why you fear CFL-S, it instantly puts another company top product back to 250$.

Uses less power and has been proven, runs cooler then Nuclear Kaby Lake and Kaby Lake has only 4 cores. I mean hell my Ryzen chip doesnt even come close to 60C under IBT overclocked. Yeah I am sure people that bought the 7700K love not being able to clock it up at all due to overheating. Not to mention recent benches of Prey I have seen show a 4 core having less fps then a 6 core and up, writing is on the wall. Maybe that is what happened at Fukushima they plugged in a Kaby Lake Intel cpu and the both melted down...

Of course they don't recommend it, overclocking is always a risk regardless of the hardware. And Intel isn't going to actively recommend users to risk damaging their hardware and voiding their warranty. I also don't think "overclocking oriented" is the right label, either. They come out of the box with higher clocks, which presumably means they're higher binned... They are premium chips which also happen to be unlocked, which means the user can decide if they want to risk overclocking or not. Intel also sells protection plans for around $30-$50 if you decide to take the risk.

Keep in mind we are all enthusiast users, so overclocking is second nature and NBD for us. But for a multi-billion dollar corp, they can't just publicly say "We encourage you to run the CPUs out of spec." The chips are already running at their rated spec which means anything beyond that is on you.

AMD doesn't recommend it, either.

Last edited:
It's hypocritical to sell chips for a premium and with a reduced feature set but with specifically unlocked multiplier capabilities and designation, but then put out statements how they are not supposed to be used as advertised. If the K's aren't overclocking oriented, I don't know what is.

limitedunlock.jpg

Last edited:
It's hypocritical to sell chips for a premium and with a reduced feature set but with specifically unlocked multiplier capabilities and designation, but then put out statements how they are not supposed to be used as advertised. If the K's aren't overclocking oriented, I don't know what is.

So, we should not have the option to OC at all then correct? This is why we can't have nice things....

The chips have a price that is the same as the others in its line for the higher base clocks, it also has the unlocked multi for those who wish to go beyond. 7700 base is 3.6Ghz, 7700K base is 4.2Ghz, same as the i5 line of the 7400 (3Ghz), 7500 (3.4Ghz), 7600 (3.5Ghz) and the 7600k (3.8Ghz), funny enough the clock gain per mhz is the cheapest in the K line. It is $30 more for the 100Mhz from the 7500 to the 7600, but only $10 more for the 300Mhz from the 7600 to the 7600k.

limitedunlock.jpg
It is amazing how people here deny the obvious. Intel markets the cpus based on their overclocking ability. The deniers are either bots or employees, or may be just delusional.

So, we should not have the option to OC at all then correct? This is why we can't have nice things....

The chips have a price that is the same as the others in its line for the higher base clocks, it also has the unlocked multi for those who wish to go beyond. 7700 base is 3.6Ghz, 7700K base is 4.2Ghz, same as the i5 line of the 7400 (3Ghz), 7500 (3.4Ghz), 7600 (3.5Ghz) and the 7600k (3.8Ghz), funny enough the clock gain per mhz is the cheapest in the K line. It is $30 more for the 100Mhz from the 7500 to the 7600, but only $10 more for the 300Mhz from the 7600 to the 7600k.
Go check how the i5-2500k and i5-2500 were clocked (same), and priced (k was more expensive). Why do you keep posting the same thing when you are so wrong? Are you paid by Intel? In all fairness, you should disclose it if you are.

Go check how the i5-2500k and i5-2500 were clocked (same), and priced (k was more expensive). Why do you keep posting the same thing when you are so wrong? Are you paid by Intel? In all fairness, you should disclose it if you are.
Oddly enough, Sandy Bridge was Intel's last soldered mainstream line. Go figure.

It is amazing how people here deny the obvious. Intel markets the cpus based on their overclocking ability. The deniers are either bots or employees, or may be just delusional.
They also marketed 5.7 GHz, apparently.

5.7Ghz was LN2 and people forget the huge disclaimers.

Try get an official person in the AMD community to tell you overclocking is fine, without getting 1-2 pages of disclaimers. I dare you.

It has been demonstrated that the title of this thread is incorrect. Intel is not saying you to stop overclokcing. Intel says overclock at your own risk.

It has been demonstrated that AMD does the same. AMD makes unlocked chips, develop specific chipsets for overclock, develops software for overclocking, and makes marketing campaings, like when they advertised certain overclock world-wide record, when organize overclockling events, or like when promoted certain GPU like an "overclockers' dream". And still AMD has a long warning stored in its site where they mention all the possible adverse effects of overclocking, not only limited to damaging the hardware and loosing warranty, but including the lost of data from the computer. In essence AMD says overclock at your own risk.

Both companies do the same and say the same, but only one is being criticized.

Last edited:
Back