Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

Last edited:
Ok so am buying a 2600K ....
Mostly for folding...

What stepping is best IF I have a choice
or
is there anything to look for when I purchase to be sure I can OC it?

They all OC, some just better than others. You're pretty much guaranteed 4.6-4.8. Nothing special to look for. I've had the best luck with the Costa Rican chips, but that doesn't mean anything really.

Hey guys quick question - do CPU's wear out over too much in and out of the mobo? (ie - the 2500) I noticed that after two or three installs something like little teeth marks on my cpu. Is that normal or has my cpu recieved some damage?

Hey guys quick question - do CPU's wear out over too much in and out of the mobo? (ie - the 2500) I noticed that after two or three installs something like little teeth marks on my cpu. Is that normal or has my cpu recieved some damage?

The contact points with the pin matrix will make a small divot in the gold receiving pad on the under side of the chip. That is normal. If there are really "teeth" marks in it... you may have another problem :D

Yea, their more "divots" than they are "teeth", I just didn't know how to word it lol. Thanks man!

6s9urr.jpg

Got 2500k @4.7ghz/1.36 CPU voltage with Noctua U12P. My average computer usage is about 12 to 15 hours.

Is it safe to have 1.36 core voltage? I mean, that does affect power consumption much if it's in idle @1.6 ghz stock?

is that temp at load? if not that seems high for me

Looks like it is 0% load. In which case yah I would be wondering why it is so high.

As far as voltage goes... does it drop down in V when you unload the system. My 970 does just that, loaded it runs at 1.37 I think it was... but unloaded she goes to 1.02 or something like that. Quite a difference. But I suppose that is a BIOS thingy. So... the question is does it drop when you take the load off.

So by supposition the above graphs must be at no load BUT you just took the load off of them, hence the high temps and high voltage? Just a guess...

After using Prime95 for a while, also no, the voltage doesn't drop when it's unloaded.

The stock cooler on the 2600k is fine for default clocks and all right? (just medium/heavy gaming/encoding) I don't want to get a cooler off Newegg, I'm going to get one locally at some point when I decide to overclock

I love my 2500k ;)

Good god... :eek: What are you using to cool that, and what temps are you getting?

Just built my new rig on Sunday and began overclocking last night...ended at 4.7 @ 1.35, running 28-30 idle across the cores, low to mid 60s on Prime95 (high spike to 70 on 1 core) and low to mid 40s in BC2. Prime95 aside, for pure gaming purposes, temperature wise I hope I can push this to 5.0 using the H60.

2w3nar6.jpg

High temps were mid encode in Premiere, 95% CPU usage, 78f room temp

clearly stock coolers are just bad even at default clocks...I don't care about noise and from what I can tell the CPU fan only spins at 1000rpm.

Will replace eventually

Edit, I decided to take a look at the heatsink and noticed I totally forgot to scrape off their little trash thermal pad so I did that and threw on some that I had laying around, how I forgot that is amazing
2u7ocvt.jpg

Same encode, same room temp, appears to have helped a little

Last edited:
Asus P8P67
i2500k
H212+

Running 4.5 at 1.35V and getting around 47 on one core and hitting just below 80 under Prime.

Why are my temperatures so high?

I think I might give H60 a go, since they are around 60 USD.

Just built a new 2600K system. I'm running at stock for now just to make sure everything is working good.

Batch# L051B470

I ran OCCT for 10 minutes and checked temps and they peaked at around 49c and around 26-28c at idle with a 212+. With an ambient room temp of 74F that seems just about right. I used OCZ Freeze and I filled in the spaces between the copper and the base before installation and then I applied thin lines of thermal paste to the three aluminum base sections.

Schalldämpfer;1037330261 said:
Asus P8P67
i2500k
H212+

Running 4.5 at 1.35V and getting around 47 on one core and hitting just below 80 under Prime.

Why are my temperatures so high?

I think I might give H60 a go, since they are around 60 USD.

I'm running the same processor at the same OC, though at slightly lower voltage, 1.336V. I would check the seating of that cooler. 47C seems awfully high, even for a lower end good air cooler.

I'm running an H60 and I see 60-65C folding and 35C idle and I have crappy airflow in my case. I'm happy with it so far. Very quiet and easy to install.

Have a I5-2500k coming in on Monday. Received the Mobo, ASRock P67 PRO3 SE and Memory, G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333. Got a great deal on the H50, best buy is selling it with in store pickup for $50+tax.

Hi guys,
I was wondering if you could help me out with my i5 2500k with p8p67 pairing.
I've applied all of the steps in the OP to a T (with the exclusion of using the multiplier at 42) and for some reason, my computer doesn't seem to be overclocking (manual overclock results in no increase in cpu speed, auto oc options only brings it to 3423mhz). I'm wondering if it could be the temperature of the cpu (idling at around 40 but the max when stress testing with prime95 is 98(!), bios version, or possibly an anomaly dud cpu?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
yeah i knew that was abnormal so a hyper 212 is on the way :), but would that really prevent it from even attempting a manual oc to like 4ghz? I thought it would've still attempted to oc

not quite sure what bone stock means but I'm currently using the stock cooler and heatsink that the cpu came with. With normal usage it goes to about 60 max, but is usually is around 50 under usage. Haven't tried it with games or anything yet though. Thanks again for your help btw!

Got a MSI P67A-G43 and a I7 2600K coming. Using a 212+ as a cooler. Looking for a modest OC, don't want to push the voltage to high.

What multiplier and voltage should I aim for? After it's said and done, what's a good temperate to hover around idle and under load?

Thanks!

Got a MSI P67A-G43 and a I7 2600K coming. Using a 212+ as a cooler. Looking for a modest OC, don't want to push the voltage to high.

What multiplier and voltage should I aim for? After it's said and done, what's a good temperate to hover around idle and under load?

Thanks!

All chips are different and Intel sets the voltages on a per chip basis. You may get a higher voltage chip in which case someone's voltage setting will not work on you setup.

Keep the temps under 80C and you will be fine.

Hey guys,
Happy to report that with 212+ cooler on there, temps are hovering around 71 degrees under prime95 load. However, I still can't seem to get anywhere with the overclocking (can't even crack 3.5ghz). Bios version for the p8p67 is 1503 if that makes any difference (there's a beta 1608 out for it).

Is it possible that I have a dud of a cpu?

Last edited:
I'm using coretemp. Btw, should I be checking for speeds in the bios or with something like cpuz?

Holy crap. Can easily go over 5 ghz on this chip (2500K). Priming for 2 hrs at 4.78 with 1.4v. Temps with a corsair H70 not even going much beyond 70C. What's the max temp and voltage for these chips again? LOL. I think 4.78 is plenty fast for me though. Also just paired this rig with a vertex 3 max iops. Running smooth as butter. Much better then my Core I7 920 and Asus P6T that ran hot as hell and could only do 3.8 on a cold winter day. hahaha

Just stress tested mine during some 100f days here without the ac running. Prime load max temps were something like 75-82-83-82. No big deal... that's basically as hot as it will get all year.

Back