Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

I thought ivy bridge is gonna be the tock, and SB is the tick.

Nope

http://www.intel.com/technology/tick-tock/index.htm

32nm was already here before SB. Its measured mainly by process efficiency. Ivy is 22nm and, to be honest, a much bigger deal than SB.

Thats not to say SB isnt a great part and a terrific value and very much in the "right direction" (better power/watt, better power/$). Just that its on the 32nm process the same as the i980 and the Xeons and is mated with a mainstream chipset. Nothing wrong with that... Just isnt the "tick". For folks who normally buy mainstream, buy now. Folks who normally dont (and are looking for tri-channel DDR, etc) try to resist. Otherwise you will buy now, see minimal gain over your current (most likely heavily overclocked i7/1366) and then buy again when Ivy drops.

Last edited:
Nope

http://www.intel.com/technology/tick-tock/index.htm

32nm was already here before SB. Its measured mainly by process efficiency. Ivy is 22nm and, to be honest, a much bigger deal than SB.

Thats not to say SB isnt a great part and a terrific value and very much in the "right direction" (better power/watt, better power/$). Just that its on the 32nm process the same as the i980 and the Xeons and is mated with a mainstream chipset. Nothing wrong with that... Just isnt the "tick". For folks who normally buy mainstream, buy now. Folks who normally dont (and are looking for tri-channel DDR, etc) try to resist. Otherwise you will buy now, see minimal gain over your current (most likely heavily overclocked i7/1366) and then buy again when Ivy drops.

Yeah I'm probably going to hold out until Ivy Bridge.

Yeah I'm probably going to hold out until Ivy Bridge.
I buy desktops on tocks and laptops on ticks. Sandy for the desktop, Ivy for the next laptop. Hopefully Ivy brings enough power gains to put quads in 35W TDPs.

I buy desktops on tocks and laptops on ticks. Sandy for the desktop, Ivy for the next laptop. Hopefully Ivy brings enough power gains to put quads in 35W TDPs.

I'd rather have Ivy Bridge for the desktop and Sandy Bridge for the laptop. That's just me I guess.

I'd rather have Ivy Bridge for the desktop and Sandy Bridge for the laptop. That's just me I guess.

I'd buy one of those 450$ i5 laptops if it were me. I've never seen the need for huge horsepower laptops. If you actually need the horsepower, get a desktop, if you don't then save your money. I know very few people who NEED that much horsepower in a laptop. And waaay to many times do I watch people spend 2-3K on a laptop that's shitty and overpriced when they could have had a machine with a CPU twice as fast and a GPU 10 times as fast if they'd bought a desktop.

Oh, shit son. Oh, shit.

Rationalization Mode GO: My girlfriend needs a new desktop. I will have to give her the Q6600 out of the goodness of my heart and get a 2600k.

Theoretically Ivy (being the shrink) should give better battery life than Sandy. Thats my reasoning, anyway.

Theoretically Ivy (being the shrink) should give better battery life than Sandy. Thats my reasoning, anyway.

I care much more about my desktop machine's performance than mobile performance. I'm using a VERY outdated laptop. It's a Core 2 Duo T7200 with 2GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM and an 80GB drive if I recall correctly. Very, very, old. It uses integrated graphics and it serves my needs fine.

whats the tock after ivy? has it been announced? I'm wicked impressed with the tech that intel is putting out, they've really taken x86 and perfected it.

I care much more about my desktop machine's performance than mobile performance. I'm using a VERY outdated laptop. It's a Core 2 Duo T7200 with 2GB of DDR2 667MHz RAM and an 80GB drive if I recall correctly. Very, very, old. It uses integrated graphics and it serves my needs fine.
And that is where we differ. My laptop is my primary machine, the desktop is solely for gaming. Having a docking station connected to dual monitors and KB/mouse/etc helps a ton with everyday usability on the laptop. Unfortunently the games I play require a stronger machine than I'd like. Powerful quad for SupCom, strong graphics for various games, and multiple monitors for EVE.

Great article. Exactly the perspective I was looking for.

I think I need you to explain the power consumption graph to me. ;) Seriously, I did a double take at that graph . . . the efficiency on these chips blows my mind.

I'm on a C2D E8500 @ 3.8Ghz, and I'm not 100% but I don't think I'm usually CPU limited. An upgrade for me would mean new RAM also, so I'm hesitant to drop $500+. Any thoughts anyone?

Will any I7 motherboard take the I7 version?
There is no such thing as a "i7 motherboard". Prior to sandy bridge there were already i7 processors on two incompatible sockets and sandy bridge is being introduced on a new socket that is incompatible with any existing motherboards.

There is no such thing as a "i7 motherboard". Prior to sandy bridge there were already i7 processors on two incompatible sockets and sandy bridge is being introduced on a new socket that is incompatible with any existing motherboards.

Not to mention Core i3 and Core i5's are compatible with both LGA1156 and LGA1155 "i7 motherboards".

I am building anew PC and it will be built for mostly PC gaming. I was really excited about the new SandyBridge and just realized today that they are only quad core. I thought they were the next step up from the 980X with 6 cores. I want the most I can get out of my machine and plan on overclocking to get more. I don't care about the price difference at all.
Can the 2600K even touch the 980X in terms of overall performance?
I cannot find a comparison chart anywhere. I really need to buy something asap as this pc is about to die.
Oh what to do?
Thanks. :)

I am building anew PC and it will be built for mostly PC gaming. I was really excited about the new SandyBridge and just realized today that they are only quad core. I thought they were the next step up from the 980X with 6 cores. I want the most I can get out of my machine and plan on overclocking to get more. I don't care about the price difference at all.
Can the 2600K even touch the 980X in terms of overall performance?
I cannot find a comparison chart anywhere. I really need to buy something asap as this pc is about to die.
Oh what to do?
Thanks. :)

Are you fucking serious? READ THE ARTICLE!

Are you fucking serious? READ THE ARTICLE!

I did. Where did it do a comparison? If you don't have an answer or don't want to help fine. I'm not a tech geek, that's why I'm here so don't curse at me.
What happened to [H]?

......... /sigh

I found it, but as i said I am not a tech geek and will not pretend to be. I asked for help from a group of people on a site that i hold the highest regard for and I get smacked again.
I made a mistake forgive me.

The arrogance ,and lack of help around here lately is palpable to say the least and becoming totally obnoxious.Too many are looking to incite an argument rather than help out.
Thanks guys.

I'm sorry Kyle. i try never to be disrespectful on any of your great posts and this is in no way directed at you. I just needed some advice on something I do not understand and I got smacked again.

I found it, but as i said I am not a tech geek and will not pretend to be. I asked for help from a group of people on a site that i hold the highest regard for and I get smacked again.
Thanks guys.

The comparison is in the chart. You can see the Core i7 980X at 3.3GHz and the Core i7 980X at 4.4GHz compared to the same speeds on the Core i7 2600K.

Sandy Bridge is an architectural step forward. It's not revolutionary, but rather evolutionary. The fact of the matter is that Sandy Bridge doesn't have anything on Gulftown in regard to performance aside from the fact that it is easier to overclock. Sandy Bridge has less PCI-Express lanes and less memory bandwidth. The problem with Gulftown (IE: Core i7 980X) is that it is much more expensive than Sandy Bridge. The new Core i7 2600K will cost you $280 at Microcenter and upwards of $280 for a motherboard if you want to buy something seriously expensive. Otherwise you can get boards for as little as $174.99. Dual channel RAM kits are also slightly cheaper. Core i7 980X on the other hand will cost you $1,000 and motherboards can be had for $199.99 but get as expensive as $699.99. Triple channel RAM is slightly more expensive. Do the math.

Even with less cores Sandy Bridge is 95% of what the Core i7 980X is for most users. It does this at about half the price of the processor alone. It does this with less power and with easier overclocking. What's not to love about it? The decision is a no brainer.

The arrogance ,and lack of help around here lately is palpable to say the least and becoming totally obnoxious.Too many are looking to incite an argument rather than help out.
Thanks guys.

Well, the question you asked was spelled out in the article you claimed to have read.

Now look at it from my point of view, how am I suppose to help someone who says they've read the article yet obviously hasn't read any of the charts listed in the article?

Thanks guys.

It's not arrogance that triggered my response, it's frustration. Frustration with people that do not try to help themselves first. And your admission of not being a "tech geek" is a cop-out. You don't have to be a tech geek to look at some graphs and see that what you are asking is done, right there.

Sorry to be harsh but come on...

Well, the question you asked was spelled out in the article you claimed to have read.

Now look at it from my point of view, how am I suppose to help someone who says they've read the article yet obviously hasn't read any of the charts listed in the article?

I'M NOT A READING GEEK LEAVE ME ALONE OKAY?!

I think I'm most frustrated about Socket 1156 going away so quickly.... :mad:

Socket 1156 platform should not even be looked at anymore....

The comparison is in the chart. You can see the Core i7 980X at 3.3GHz and the Core i7 980X at 4.4GHz compared to the same speeds on the Core i7 2600K.

Sandy Bridge is an architectural step forward. It's not revolutionary, but rather evolutionary. The fact of the matter is that Sandy Bridge doesn't have anything on Gulftown in regard to performance aside from the fact that it is easier to overclock. Sandy Bridge has less PCI-Express lanes and less memory bandwidth. The problem with Gulftown (IE: Core i7 980X) is that it is much more expensive than Sandy Bridge. The new Core i7 2600K will cost you $280 at Microcenter and upwards of $280 for a motherboard if you want to buy something seriously expensive. Otherwise you can get boards for as little as $174.99. Dual channel RAM kits are also slightly cheaper. Core i7 980X on the other hand will cost you $1,000 and motherboards can be had for $199.99 but get as expensive as $699.99. Triple channel RAM is slightly more expensive. Do the math.

Even with less cores Sandy Bridge is 95% of what the Core i7 980X is for most users. It does this at about half the price of the processor alone. It does this with less power and with easier overclocking. What's not to love about it? The decision is a no brainer.

I thank you for that explanation. I read the post with all the charts and graphs, but I just don't know all that much about that kind of information yet. I am starting to thanks to [H] and people like you.

I guess I'm going SandyBridge and at that price when the better units come out I will not feel bad about purchasing them. I just hope they don't go ahead and change the socket on the mobo though..

Thanks again.

It's not arrogance that triggered my response, it's frustration. Frustration with people that do not try to help themselves first. And your admission of not being a "tech geek" is a cop-out. You don't have to be a tech geek to look at some graphs and see that what you are asking is done, right there.

Sorry to be harsh but come on...

I made a mistake. The frustration I get is from responses like yours. Look to argue first and help later. I did not totally understand what I was looking at sue me. I have been reading this information for days now and it is still confusing as hell for me. I don't know what you know so i asked sorry.

I made a mistake. The frustration I get is from responses like yours. Look to argue first and help later. I did not totally understand what I was looking at sue me. I have been reading this information for days now and it is still confusing as hell for me. I don't know what you know so i asked sorry.

Yet you've managed to set up two raptors in a raid 0. Boggles the mind.

I come here to read the articles, and see people's opinions about the particular subject at hand, not someone who wants to hit the reply button several times in a row defending themselves over something they may, or may not understand. Dan's reply is basically the article summed up, and yet you seem to have understood it easy enough.

just sayin.

Yet you've managed to set up two raptors in a raid 0. Boggles the mind.

I come here to read the articles, and see people's opinions about the particular subject at hand, not someone who wants to hit the reply button several times in a row defending themselves over something they may, or may not understand. Dan's reply is basically the article summed up, and yet you seem to have understood it easy enough.

just sayin.

Ok Mr. Troll. I never said i set anything up. I paid to have it set up. I pay to have it repaired. Is that too far out of the box for you to understand?
I never said i totally understand what was summarized, but it made it a little easier to grasp.

Not by Intel. (I don't believe.) That means Newegg may not restock that particular SKU.

Oh I see that now. Thanks man.
Man, not one of these hardware companies are advertising these processors yet. I would think they would be hyping them up by now.
I'll just keep on waiting...:)

Oh I see that now. Thanks man.
Man, not one of these hardware companies are advertising these processors yet. I would think they would be hyping them up by now.
I'll just keep on waiting...:)

I believe the actual street date for these products is the 9th. That's what Microcenter and some other places are advertising.

Last edited:
It means they haven't activated it yet. I am surprised these days how people actually follow the NDAs pretty well. It would be easy enough for someone with tor to leak stuff much more readily then does occur. Nothing on AMD's new bulldozer yet, for example.

Back