Intel Sandy Bridge 2600K and 2500K Processors @ [H]

Planning on picking up a 2600k, from all the reading I have been doing it seems like the best processor for what I plan to do. With that being said what mother board would be ideal to go with, I want something that I can use again this summer incase I see the need to update the CPU again for whatever reason.

My main objective is to mostly play online games while running xsplit to stream, as well as Fraps on occasion. I will also be doing light video editing a couple times a week.

P.S. Should I got with 16gb ram for this?

I just got a 2600k, ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 and 16GB Corsair Vengeance 12800. Running like a dream, 10C cooler than my Q9300 at nearly same clocks (3.3 vs 3.4). The mobo will support Ivy Bridge later on, too.

But you could easily do all that on a 2500k. With a solid overclock, they're incredibly powerful CPUs. I wanted the i7 for Folding@Home and 'just cause'.

how many sandy bridge owners (2500-2600) will switch to LGA2011=
I'm tempted but I think that I will wait ivy on LGA1155.

how many sandy bridge owners (2500-2600) will switch to LGA2011=
I'm tempted but I think that I will wait ivy on LGA1155.

I'm not going to...the cost of upgrading is too expensive for what I do with my computer. If anything, I'll pick up a 2700k from the Intel Retail Edge Holiday deal and put that in, but other than that, I'm not planning a major upgrade...might even skip Ivy Bridge.

I'm not going to...the cost of upgrading is too expensive for what I do with my computer. If anything, I'll pick up a 2700k from the Intel Retail Edge Holiday deal and put that in, but other than that, I'm not planning a major upgrade...might even skip Ivy Bridge.

yep i'm with you there, if my previous CPU upgrades and trends in what games actually need as far as CPU performance goes is any indication, barring a failure of my 2500k i don't see myself upgrading it for many years.

I think I will wait Ivy, LGA1155 is the way to go.

Hopefully i notice some difference from a 2500k to a 2600k... :D

You probably won't. I've used both and didn't see any real difference between the two of them. There are some applications where the Hyperthreading will come in handy but you may not use any that do. Most people don't.

I have a sealed Batch L137B605 and a sealed Batch L037B039 and I can't decide which one to crack open.
I plan on selling the other one and the anxiety is keeeeeeling meeeeee. :D

And, no, I won't tell you where I got that L037 chip. ;)

Any thoughts here for which one to take the plunge with?
I'm a bit skeered to jump in with a Engineering Sample as a daily driver on a high overclock, so I'm leaning towards to the other one.
BUT, if I go with the other one, it might be a little trickier finding a buyer for the little Golden Chip.

Decisions, decisions.

I have a sealed Batch L137B605 and a sealed Batch L037B039 and I can't decide which one to crack open.
I plan on selling the other one and the anxiety is keeeeeeling meeeeee. :D

And, no, I won't tell you where I got that L037 chip. ;)

Any thoughts here for which one to take the plunge with?
I'm a bit skeered to jump in with a Engineering Sample as a daily driver on a high overclock, so I'm leaning towards to the other one.
BUT, if I go with the other one, it might be a little trickier finding a buyer for the little Golden Chip.

Decisions, decisions.

If it's a golden chip people will buy it no matter what.

If it's a golden chip people will buy it no matter what.

But....it's an engineering sample. I have no idea how to sell it.
Not allowed here and on eBay it's a no-no. (I think, I really have no idea)

5 GHz a good idea? I am at 4.8 and even if I back down to 4.5 nothing really changes in terms of gaming - maybe 1-2 fps here or there? I am getting an H80 and wanted to know if pushing to 5 GHz is a good idea or not?

Thought I'd add my overclocks to the thread including my settings.

4.8ghz

5ghz

Last edited:
New guy joining in here, but I am assuming that my results aren't all too common.

I manually set my voltage to 1.52, with speedstep enabled. Idle temps are about 20° and under load average 70° to 73° on a H80 cooling system.

I originally had it set to 52 X 100, but feel like 50 X 104 seems to be faster in the overall perfomance of the system.

I have been reading about degradation of the Sandy Bridge chips and would like to know if this is pushing things too much with the voltage set at 1.52? Like I said, speedstep is enabled and temps seem well under control.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8d401cfd8ba3a547&resid=8D401CFD8BA3A547!718&parid=root

redir.aspx

sounds like you're applying 65nm conroe overclocking concepts to 32nm sandybridge.

New guy joining in here, but I am assuming that my results aren't all too common.

I manually set my voltage to 1.52, with speedstep enabled. Idle temps are about 20° and under load average 70° to 73° on a H80 cooling system.

I originally had it set to 52 X 100, but feel like 50 X 104 seems to be faster in the overall perfomance of the system.

I have been reading about degradation of the Sandy Bridge chips and would like to know if this is pushing things too much with the voltage set at 1.52? Like I said, speedstep is enabled and temps seem well under control.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=8d401cfd8ba3a547&resid=8D401CFD8BA3A547!718&parid=root

redir.aspx

rule of thumb for sandy bridge is <=1.45 volts, run cpu-z and see what your voltages are at load, im guessing you might be getting up to 1.47

sounds like you're applying 65nm conroe overclocking concepts to 32nm sandybridge.

rule of thumb for sandy bridge is <=1.45 volts, run cpu-z and see what your voltages are at load, im guessing you might be getting up to 1.47

Thanks for the advice guys. Took both of these into consideration and feel as if things are even better with the slight adjustments.

Instead of 104 X 50, I switched back to 100 X 52. Voltage was reduced to 1.47 in BOIS and CPU-Z is showing 1.48 under load. Temps have dropped considerably and the setup is 100% stable.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I just got a 2500k and an MSI Z68A-GD65(G3). I was experiencing strange bugs with the BIOS so I've been using the MSI Command Center. Is it sufficient? The numbers match in HWMon so I'm guessing yeah.

Anyway the setup is:

i5 2500k
Noctua UH-12P
Z68A-GD65(G3)
8GB 2x GSkill Ripsaw 9-9-9-24 @ 1.5v
HD5850
OCZ GXS 850W

I got myself to 4.6Ghz. Max temps are 63/63/67/67.
Ratio 46 w/ VCC 1.355V
IO, SA, PLL are all stock

I have EIST, Virtualization, and PLL disabled. What should I do with these settings?

When I try 1.3850V-1.40V my system freezes. The BIOS wasn't holding values but I updated it to the newest version yesterday so maybe it'll co-operate now.

You can try turning EIST back on - it works well with Sandy Bridge overclocking.

You can try turning EIST back on - it works well with Sandy Bridge overclocking.

I did this. I also did my settings through the BIOS since it works with the latest update. Still can't get 4.7Ghz even if I crank the CPU Voltage to 1.40. It won't boot into windows.

I did this. I also did my settings through the BIOS since it works with the latest update. Still can't get 4.7Ghz even if I crank the CPU Voltage to 1.40. It won't boot into windows.

Oh yeah, EIST won't help with overclocking. I was just saying to turn it back on for powersaving reasons. Enable Internal PLL Overvoltage and see if that gets you 4.7 - it is usually good for a couple of extra multipliers.

Oh yeah, EIST won't help with overclocking. I was just saying to turn it back on for powersaving reasons. Enable Internal PLL Overvoltage and see if that gets you 4.7 - it is usually good for a couple of extra multipliers.
Using PLL I have gotten a stable 4.7 overclock at 1.395V. My temps maxed at 64/64/68/68 and were more like 62/62/66/66 for the most part.

Edit: Can't get 4.8 so far. Went up to 1.415 vcore and raised the other core voltages to the Intel max recommendeds and called it that. Won't even boot. Gonna try BLCK and memory later on today.

Last edited:
Using PLL I have gotten a stable 4.7 overclock at 1.395V. My temps maxed at 64/64/68/68 and were more like 62/62/66/66 for the most part.

Edit: Can't get 4.8 so far. Went up to 1.415 vcore and raised the other core voltages to the Intel max recommendeds and called it that. Won't even boot. Gonna try BLCK and memory later on today.

I'd just take 4.7 and be happy. The SB chips really hit a wall at some point, and it takes a lot of Vcore to get past it. Likewise, I wouldn't fool with BCLK - with everything tied to it there is too much of a chance of screwing something else up, for what ends up being 4-5% increase.

Mine bios template below.

Running 46 x 104.4 @ 4800, still testing and try change lower vcore etc.

no problem running at most games/desktop no crashes or bsod on me just yet.

ran prime95 for an hour, I stop it and will do again later with better thermal paste( reseat HSF).

120127210136.jpg

120127210156.jpg

120127210203.jpg

cpuc.jpg

The concern with changing the BCLK on these processors is that there is only the one clock and everything is tied to it - so upping the BCLK also ups the PCIe clock and all the other clocks as well. Not worth the increased risk of problems when you can just up the multiplier one more notch instead.

The concern with changing the BCLK on these processors is that there is only the one clock and everything is tied to it - so upping the BCLK also ups the PCIe clock and all the other clocks as well. Not worth the increased risk of problems when you can just up the multiplier one more notch instead.

I thought BCLK safe range at 100-107 ? :confused:

I just got a asus maximus gene z gen 3 with 2500k and tossed it into a FT03.. I keep getting that blue screen just from surfing the web at 4.5ghz. I have a xfx 850w black edition psu and 6870 crossfire with 8 gb. I had no problem running the chip at 4.5 on a msi p67a-gd55 cooled with a spire thermax II. in the FT03 i'm using an antec kuhler 620 and haven't seen temps go past 55 C. Any idea what could be causing the crashes?

Probably voltage. Different boards will provide slightly different voltage even with the same settings, especially if you are using offset.

Back