Intel S2600CP motherboard and multiple GPUs

Engr62

Gawd
I have one of the Intel motherboards (S2600CP) with dual Xeon E5-2670 CPUs that are sold by Natex. It has six PCI-E Gen 3 x8 slots. I'm trying to run two GPUs in this board (GTX 970). I have a Rosewill 850W power supply, and the board is populated with 64 gb of RAM.

The longer PCI-E slot (x16) closer to the memory banks is not really usable since a graphics card with any length at all will not fit because of the memory banks below it will interfere with the card. This slot is only x8 electrically (with a x16 length), so it's not really any different from the two open-ended slots.

If I populate only one of the open-ended slots with a GTX 970, the computer boots fine. However, if I plug another GTX 970 into the other x8 open-ended slot, I get an error in the BIOS saying something like "PCI resource error 146." Has anyone ever gotten multiple GPUs to work with this motherboard?

s2600cp.png

Last edited:
I have had multiples of that board and have had no issue running 2 GPUs, 2 USB3 cards and a sas controller. They were both lower end video cards though.

I have gotten a similar error trying to use 3 video cards along with a sas controller on a Lenovo S30 (c602 chipset). It worked with 2 video cards and the controller, as soon as I populated the PCI slot I would get a PCI resource error. Remove one of the PCIe cards or the PCI card and it was fine.

With boards like this and their many option ROMs you can run out of O-ROM space. I fought this type of crap on dual CPU boards in the past. The biggest problem is that consumer level GPUs aren't always adequately tested with motherboards like this. Sometimes a firmware update on one or more components will take care of this. Otherwise, you may need to start disabling shit you don't need to make it work.

I have had multiples of that board and have had no issue running 2 GPUs, 2 USB3 cards and a sas controller. They were both lower end video cards though.

Is there anyway you might remember what version of the BIOS you were using? I'm really reluctant to flash the BIOS since it's so flaky to begin with.

With boards like this and their many option ROMs you can run out of O-ROM space. I fought this type of crap on dual CPU boards in the past. The biggest problem is that consumer level GPUs aren't always adequately tested with motherboards like this. Sometimes a firmware update on one or more components will take care of this. Otherwise, you may need to start disabling shit you don't need to make it work.

Whew! That sounds like it's above my experience level. What kinds of things should I disable? Things like the two NICs?

Is there anyway you might remember what version of the BIOS you were using? I'm really reluctant to flash the BIOS since it's so flaky to begin with.

Whew! That sounds like it's above my experience level. What kinds of things should I disable? Things like the two NICs?

I updated to the latest bios available.

I never got around it so I changed what I was going to do.

Any extra NICs or drive controllers you may not need. Also, avoid putting any expansion cards in the system you don't need.

Back