Intel’s TV Set Top Box Includes A Built-In Camera

HardOCP News

[H] News
First it was Sony cashing in on the Xbox One's cancelled features and now we have Intel including an always on camera that watches you while you watch TV. Did someone forget to announce that this is "copy Microsoft" week or something? :D

The rumors were true — Intel (INTC) really is working to shake up the television industry by offering its own set top box that delivers live television broadcasts over the Internet. But there’s a catch — as AllThingsD reports, the box will include a built-in camera that’s designed to watch users in their living rooms to collect data on their viewing habits to better help marketers target their ads.

Then you don't buy the product. Camera in the living room is stepping over the line.

Strike 1 for Intel......

If it otherwise ends up being a good product, maybe I can tape a picture of Unicorns and Rainbows in front of the camera and they will think I have Apple products :)

Where is the damn anonymous, they need to hack these companies, steal their blue print and post it on pirated site so we'll get 99cent made in china TV without these options.

A few months ago my local news station reported hackers can hack into PC webcams.
Wonder how easy it is for consoles and STBes?
With they would put a physical switch on these type of devices. Excludes cells and tablets since those are usually set down.

the box will include a built-in camera that’s designed to watch users in their living rooms to collect data on their viewing habits to better help marketers target their ads.

At least this sheds some perspective and confirmation on the real reason miceosoft is so hellbent on a kinect in every living room and trojan-horsing it to customers to make them think it was their idea, as if MS cares so deeply whether people play games waving their arms around instead of a controller.

Its" the advertising, stupid.". There's a g-d-damn gold rush on for collecting engagement and usage metrics right from peoples loving rooms.

I was pretty excited about an Intel box to compete with the entrenched cable establishment but now I am going to pass

That list of companies you trust is getting shorter every day my friend...

I don't trust Any company, especially ones with stock holders. That is precisely why I'll be damned if I am going to let them put a camera in my house. They don't ever have my best interests in mind, they have their Stock holders best interest in mind and theirs are Rarely in line with my rights as a consumer.

I don't trust Any company, especially ones with stock holders. That is precisely why I'll be damned if I am going to let them put a camera in my house. They don't ever have my best interests in mind, they have their Stock holders best interest in mind and theirs are Rarely in line with my rights as a consumer.

Think about all those people who invested their hard earned money so they could make more money without actually doing anything.

Same response I had to Microsoft.

Fuck off Intel.

Pretty much this.
Even though one can simply put tape over it, a camera on these devices is totally unnecessary for basic functionality and is far too invasive.

Just imagine they have the software written were if the camera is taped over, the unit won't work.:eek:

With all the nsa leaks the last thing you want is a device from an american tech company with a camera in it watching you, how gullible do they think we are?

Just imagine they have the software written were if the camera is taped over, the unit won't work.:eek:

I'd be surprise if they don't. Even the cleaning lady at Intel/Microsoft can figure out that tape trick.

With all the nsa leaks the last thing you want is a device from an american tech company with a camera in it watching you, how gullible do they think we are?
People buy smartphones and pay the ridiculous rates associated with those plans. So they think people are very gullible.

The problem is they'd love to get those images on you. If you ever get out of line, next thing you know your an internet sensation. And maybe some people have jobs that can weather that. Most people don't.

Now here's someone who "gets it."

Now here's someone who "gets it."

I believe everyone gets it, but the great majority never gets interesting enough on purpose. Can't blame people for not willing to sacrifice themselves if they have no good reason to believe others would do the same for them.

That's actually how the Xbox One is going to work - or not work.

Whether Intel takes the same step or not I hope not, but in this era of secret "national security" letters that compel companies to bend over and hand over whatever is requested and the company can't even acknowledge the existence of letter or receiving a request, yeah. All the while NSA just warehouses the datastream off backbones at every ISP, cell carrier and all the internet companies, no thanks.

Intel and Microsoft are primarily interested in capturing engagement metrics valuable to advertisers and that's why they're hellbent on cams going into living rooms, they think it's the next goldrush, so their intentions are sleazy but not necessarily evil, they just picked a BAD time to attempt to ram these products down consumers throats

Easy solution - don't buy it.

If people are stupid enough to buy something with a camera that is always on and watching what they do in the privacy of their own home knowing what it does (or too stupid to read disclaimers) then they get what they deserve.

It's one product *I* won't be buying - same with the XBOne....

Back