Intel’s Cable TV Service Will Soon Roll Out City By City

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Intel has a plan for nationwide launch of its virtual cable TV service, which includes negotiating licenses with each individual city rather than negotiations for the entire nation all at once. The city-by-city approach gives Intel a chance to create a how-to learning curve for the new type of service.

The plan is to a create a set-top box and subscription TV service that would appeal to people who want streaming TV access but don’t want to entirely cut the cable cord and lose key content like sports.

wait, what?

intel?

They're core business isn't as strong as it once was.

http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:INTC

chart

Small competitor's are now huge while PC sales are down. Suddenly branching out doesn't look so crazy. Remember that these set top boxes also have that "Intel inside" sticker, so it's just another way to sell processors.

I'd pay for access to sports as long as I didn't have to also subscribe to all those stupid home/garden/do-it-yourself cable channels.

I'd really like to have just the ESPN and FOX/Comcast sports channels. Hopefully Intel can work out something like this.

Frist good luck to you Intel and they need think about how get a nationwide fiber-optic communication to ever residents house hold which not going any time soon if ever all min residents live to far just for any kind High Speed Internet unless you want satellite.
Then the 2nd problem most Cable ISP are doing Data Cap Plan by doing Bandwidth Monitoring heaven help you if you on Cable ONE service or one's like it.

I would love to turn off basic cable. Comcast likes to bully you into buying it for internet service with a "discount" and reduced speeds if you don't have it.

Intel would be wise to make their content deals before they even consider doing anything. Just look at Netflix.

I'd pay for access to sports as long as I didn't have to also subscribe to all those stupid home/garden/do-it-yourself cable channels.

I'd really like to have just the ESPN and FOX/Comcast sports channels. Hopefully Intel can work out something like this.

the problem is almost of those useless cable channels are all owned by 3 or 4 companies whoy force you to also pay for the useless ones to get those few people actually want. So say Intel somehow manages to work out a la carte service and you want to Get ESPN, well ESPN is owned by Disney so they will also force you to get...

ABC Television Network (ABC Daytime, ABC Entertainment, and ABC News)
ABC Family
ABC Studios
A&E Television Networks (42.1%)
The Biography Channel (42.1%)
Disney ABC Domestic Television
Disney ABC International Television
Disney-ABC-ESPN Television
Disney Channel Worldwide (Disney XD, Playhouse Disney, Jetix, and ABC Kids)
History (formerly The History Channel) (42.1%)
History International (42.1%)
Hungama
Lifetime Entertainment Services (42.1%)
SOAPnet
Disney Junior (Flanders and the Netherlands)
ESPN, Inc. (80%)
ESPN (and ESPN.com and ESPN360.com)
ESPN2
ESPN Classic
ESPN Deportes
ESPNEWS
ESPNU
ESPN Enterprises
ESPN Interactive
ESPN International
ESPN Mobile Properties
ESPN on Demand
ESPN PPV
ESPN Regional Television

+1 would be all over it just to get all the ESPN/Fox channels and throw NFL access pass and I'm in :D

Facial recognition? I don't want my TV looking at me... Oh wait, I don't even own a TV.

I consider TV to be dying. Think about it, why watch TV?

Commercials every few minutes.
Gotta be there at a certain time, or have a PVR setup.
Rent a cable box you shouldn't need but is forced to by cable companies.

As opposed to have something like Netflix, Hulu, Bit Torrent, or even YouTube. Where you watch what you want, when you want, usually with just 1 commercial to watch it or none at all. So you don't need a PVR setup and you don't need to rent overpriced equipment.

Anyone who still watches TV is either ignorant or desperate for stuff like sports.
120921.jpg

What exactly is a "sports" anyway? :D

It's when middle-aged men sit around eating unhealthy snacks while watching fat guys in plastic shoulder pads slap each other on the butt because they supposedly can't feel it when they touch each other somewhere else. Also, the aforementioned spectators cheer very loudly when the so-called atheletes pile up on top of each other in a sweaty heap of mouth-breathing excitement using the excuse that they were just trying to get the ball for being there. Let's also not forget that, as a fan, you have to talk to your coworkers as though you own or control the team of guys that touch each others' butts when you discuss them by saying things like, "Yeah, we just couldn't get our hands on the ball this game," or "The refs were out to get us last night!" even though all they did during the game was sit on their sofa and feed their faces while they lamented about how they could have gone pro if it weren't for that knee injury in high school, but are sure that their son will do so instead if only the coach would see his talent during tryouts.

It's when middle-aged men sit around eating unhealthy snacks while watching fat guys in plastic shoulder pads slap each other on the butt because they supposedly can't feel it when they touch each other somewhere else. Also, the aforementioned spectators cheer very loudly when the so-called atheletes pile up on top of each other in a sweaty heap of mouth-breathing excitement using the excuse that they were just trying to get the ball for being there. Let's also not forget that, as a fan, you have to talk to your coworkers as though you own or control the team of guys that touch each others' butts when you discuss them by saying things like, "Yeah, we just couldn't get our hands on the ball this game," or "The refs were out to get us last night!" even though all they did during the game was sit on their sofa and feed their faces while they lamented about how they could have gone pro if it weren't for that knee injury in high school, but are sure that their son will do so instead if only the coach would see his talent during tryouts.

Wow.. a simple " I don't like sports" not good enough for you?

Wow.. a simple " I don't like sports" not good enough for you?

I suppose, but it wouldn't have been as creative. The not-sports people might get a good laugh too, which is really the most important part of being in a forum at all. :D

I consider TV to be dying. Think about it, why watch TV?

Commercials every few minutes.
Gotta be there at a certain time, or have a PVR setup.
Rent a cable box you shouldn't need but is forced to by cable companies.

As opposed to have something like Netflix, Hulu, Bit Torrent, or even YouTube. Where you watch what you want, when you want, usually with just 1 commercial to watch it or none at all. So you don't need a PVR setup and you don't need to rent overpriced equipment.

Anyone who still watches TV is either ignorant or desperate for stuff like sports.

No. No. No. and also no.

I don't know what cable company you previously had, but none of that is true in today's world. I don't watch that much TV, but commercial spacing hasn't changed. New episodes are available the next day on network websites, on demand, and on most carrier streaming. First cable box/cablecard is almost always free.

Not to mention your blanket statement... Oh brother...

No. No. No. and also no.

I don't know what cable company you previously had, but none of that is true in today's world. I don't watch that much TV, but commercial spacing hasn't changed. New episodes are available the next day on network websites, on demand, and on most carrier streaming. First cable box/cablecard is almost always free.

Not to mention your blanket statement... Oh brother...

Not real much sustenance to your statement. Having episodes of TV shos availible online isn't something special. If the website of the network channel doesn't have it on their website then it'll be on YouTube or some other online service. If all else fails bit torrent, which usually is 0 commercial and availible within hours of it being aired.

My cable provider CableVision requires me to have a cable box. I have a HTPC that has a capture card that worked with their clear QAM. Except they decided to take all that away and force me to get a cable box. Though as they pointed out they do have an app that I can download for free to watch TV on. Yea free cause I pay for the servce, and full of commercials.

Point is there's 10x better ways to get TV without the cable companies subscription. And no I need a cable box that I pay a monthly fee for. For what, TV shows about rock stars remodeling their house?

TV/satellite won't die until dang near every American has access to internet service fast enough to make going fully online a viable option. I still have to buffer a 360p Youtube video for a minute or two so I can watch it without interruption, and that's on a good day.

Damn, you made me not like sports anymore with a post like that :(

While it would be nice, I am skeptical that they can offer anything better.

What I really want out of TV/cable.

-The ability to channel surf, as sometimes I do get in the mood to browse and find something new. This desire of course flat out eliminates current HTPC offerings.
-No Commercials, Ever. I don't give a damn about them and will happily pay a slightly higher rate to avoid them. Commercials don't sell me anything because 90% of them are targeted at complete morons and are insulting to watch.
-On Demand programming at a reasonable rate. $5 isn't reasonable. Want me to use your on demand service? Offer it at a competitive rate to Netflix, Hulu and Amazon.
-A DVR box that auto detects what my TV is and even if I select a SD channel it auto switches me to the HD Channel since I can't be arsed to remember the odd numbers they come up with for the HD spectrum. In my case Time Warner actually does this, Kudos guys this is awesome.w
-100MB+ Internet with no caps and a reasonable price. Sorry but $70 for 50/5 just isn't reasonable.
-The ability to Pay for the channels I want to watch and not pay for the crap I don't. This ties into my second statement. I will gladly pay more for commercial free channels of the ones I watch. I don't need 50 GD ESPN channels with half of them being in a language I don't speak, especially considering I couldn't give a shit about sports. 200 channels!...5 of which I actually care about.

Not real much sustenance to your statement. Having episodes of TV shos availible online isn't something special. If the website of the network channel doesn't have it on their website then it'll be on YouTube or some other online service. If all else fails bit torrent, which usually is 0 commercial and availible within hours of it being aired.

My cable provider CableVision requires me to have a cable box. I have a HTPC that has a capture card that worked with their clear QAM. Except they decided to take all that away and force me to get a cable box. Though as they pointed out they do have an app that I can download for free to watch TV on. Yea free cause I pay for the servce, and full of commercials.

Point is there's 10x better ways to get TV without the cable companies subscription. And no I need a cable box that I pay a monthly fee for. For what, TV shows about rock stars remodeling their house?

Your entire post is summed up in your first sentence. :p Also, thanks for the anecdotal evidence... Not saying my experiences aren't (they are), but this is the point I'm trying to get across to you.

10X better ways to get TV? Like? Want to watch some expanded sports (legally)? Want to watch anything in a timely fashion (legally)? If your only problem is paying, however, there is the option to build your own antenna and stick with the airwaves. It will probably go along fantastic with your viewing habits.

PS: Cablevision... I'm guessing you're in an area that's also serviced by Comcast and Verizon?

PPS: Try speaking to retention.. they'll wipe a crap ton of your fees.

GF is watching Natural Born Killers for free on Comcast On-Demand right now. Tons and tons of free on-demand content, been loving it.

-100MB+ Internet with no caps and a reasonable price. Sorry but $70 for 50/5 just isn't reasonable.

That depends on where you're at. 5/1 DSL is the top tier available in my area and that costs $70 a month; not counting the required land line phone you have to have hooked up as well. I'd give my right big toe for $70 50/5.

That depends on where you're at. 5/1 DSL is the top tier available in my area and that costs $70 a month; not counting the required land line phone you have to have hooked up as well. I'd give my right big toe for $70 50/5.

You can thank Telco monopolies and your bought politicians for allowing that crap to happen. Your situation is not acceptable either. Doesn't mean we should settle either though.

10X better ways to get TV? Like? Want to watch some expanded sports (legally)? Want to watch anything in a timely fashion (legally)? If your only problem is paying, however, there is the option to build your own antenna and stick with the airwaves. It will probably go along fantastic with your viewing habits.

I'm pretty sure removing clear QAM in my area is probably illegal. I doubt the FCC would allow that without some payment.

Also yea I do have ATSC setup. It's about the only worth wild thing you can do with a capture card nowadays. But if I happen to miss an episode of something or didn't even knew it existed, plenty of legal ways to attain it free online. If whatever reason there isn't, bit torrent. Which is sadly still easier and more reliable then getting it legally. The only reason it isn't my first choice cause I'm too impatient to download. I'd rather have it streamed.

I think there is a much larger point that is being completely missed. The concept of the "set-top box" needs to go away. It does not matter what company makes it, distributes it, rents it out, or sells it. All the technology needed for all the services requested are all already in place. That's not even to mention this ridiculous notion of "cutting the cord" for cable services when cable modems REQUIRE cable connectivity. For Intel to do this is NOT a step forward....it's a demand for "status quo"

I think there is a much larger point that is being completely missed. The concept of the "set-top box" needs to go away. It does not matter what company makes it, distributes it, rents it out, or sells it. All the technology needed for all the services requested are all already in place. That's not even to mention this ridiculous notion of "cutting the cord" for cable services when cable modems REQUIRE cable connectivity. For Intel to do this is NOT a step forward....it's a demand for "status quo"

I was thinking the same thing. In order for TV-via-internet to take hold, we'd need quicker speeds, no caps and cheaper prices. Instead, we're generally getting some speedups, higher prices and data caps imposed.

For a set-top box initiative to take hold we should be looking at Google Fiber's expansion and not Intel.

That's actually what I've been posting about. Clear QAM is what cable companies transmit digital signal to your home. Problem is they now scrambled these channels so you now have to have cable boxes.

Most new TVs and capture cards made in the past 5 years can use QAM. Hell my TV has a card slot for this purpose. Instead I have this cable boxes that just suck up tons of electricity and add another remote to my home setup. For what, something my TV can do?

My HTPC was setup to make it easy and convenient to record TV shows when I'm away. No need to pay for the PVR boxes that cable rents out to you. So for now I have a cable box hooked up to my HTPC in standard definition, unlike before where I had HD.

All Intel is doing is jumping in a racketeering business.

The card slot your tv has is most likely for a cable card. That really isn't any kind of real answer to this either. The cable card is a PCMCIA type card that is a government induced piece of hardware meant to bypass the set-top box. It's usually a major pain to deal with and represents a half-hearted attempt but like everything else government does; it works but not really.

now this would be interesting. but since i live outside the city, i guess i wont be getting access to this, whenever it is in this area. but more choices is a good thing

The question is will it do anything for pricing, making cable cheaper? Or is this just creating another walled garden of content, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Google Play, iTunes, Xbox Store, Sony Store, Vudu, and I know I'm leaving out a dozen others.

Then you have to wait for your Intel Video app on iPad, or Android, but is on your Roku. Big content is going to turn the "expensive cable mess", into an "expensive app store" mess.

You are my hero. I bow down before thee. Though you did leave out one part I'd have thrown in: as a fan, you must worry more about "your" team than your politicians/government, satiating your pathetic, primitive tribalism instincts through overpaid thugs on a field (who'd no doubt spit on you if you ever met them) instead of by taking action on issues that actually affect your life.

Sports: the new opiate of the masses. Us hatas have to stick together, given our numbers and the ferocity with which we're shot down by average Joe anytime we even subtly imply our viewpoint. :cool:

Back