Intel Rumored to Release i7-8086K to Celebrate 40 Years of the x86 CPU

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
CPU-Z screencaps out of China suggest that Intel is preparing a new i7 processor to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the original x86 chip, the 8086. Assuming this isn’t a clever fake, the i7-8086K could be a 4.6GHz Coffee Lake part that manages 5GHz with Turbo Boost.

Considering the 8086’s position as the Adam and Eve of all our gaming CPUs, it certainly deserves some recognition. With 29,000 transistors and a maximum clock speed of 5 to 10MHz, it was a serious processor. In fact, WikiChip’s David Schor has been pleading with Intel to pitch the exact SKU mentioned in the Baidu posts since January.

Not buying a single Intel chip with Spectre or Meltdown.

Still find it funny that rumors continue to claim chips run 4.x GHz and will do 5 GHz+ on overclocking when in fact base clock is rarely hitting low 4s and 5 GHz only on super overclocking.

I get the historical significance of the 8086, but as a 68K guy the segmented memory architecture still makes me cranky.

First real job in the industry while still in school, where I did all my course work on 68k and Data General systems : taking training on 8086 and my reaction was "wtf is this segment shit? Who thought this was a good idea?"

Including the Meltdown and Spectre flaws?
Both included for the low, Low, LOW price of:
20130830043612-Dr._Evil_1_million_dollars.gif

Still find it funny that rumors continue to claim chips run 4.x GHz and will do 5 GHz+ on overclocking when in fact base clock is rarely hitting low 4s and 5 GHz only on super overclocking.
Not only that but you're pretty much forced to void the warranty and de-lid it to get anywhere close to acceptable temps. Oh sure, the anti-de-lidding crowd will tell you that you don't have to do that because they're designed to run that hot but the moment you put any kind of real load on that super-overclocked chip that's not been de-lidded it's going to thermal throttle like a mofo. Yeah... Intel is so great. Yep, you can overclock it alright but thanks to that toothpaste that they use good luck keeping those temps low to prevent thermal throttling while under load at the super high clock speeds.

Personally speaking the idea of buying a Ryzen processor is looking better and better simply as a way to stick it to Intel. AMD processors may not be the fastest processor to buy but at least I won't feel quite as dirty after buying it. I won't feel like I need to take a shower after the purchase.

About the only reason I'm not totally jealous of not getting that CPU is that I recently got a 8700k, it the i7 8086 would have been an 8 core and 16 threads I would have gone nuts right now.

It would be nice to get an intel CPU that can use a stock fan these days without spontaneously combusting.

5GHz Turbo and 6 cores + nostalgia? Shut up and take my money!

Back