Intel Rumored to Launch 9th-Generation Processors on October 1st

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wccftech has a source claiming Intel’s 9th-generation Core processors will arrive in less than two months. These comprise the i5-9600K, i7-9700K, and i9-9900K, the first Intel chip with 8 cores and 16 threads.

According to the embargo document, Intel would first release the unlocked SKUs, which would eventually be followed by the rest of the 9th-generation family in Q1 2019. In the previous slides, we also saw that compatibility will be retained for 9th-generation processors on current 300-series motherboards along with the new Z390 platform.

Yeah, I'll have my Asus ROG Hero Maximus WIFI updated and inline with my $500 dollars at launch.

Goal is to delid and have my 9900K at 5GHZ across all 8 cores.

Seen several 'press releases' about Intel and what MIGHT be coming 'soonish'.....

Sorry, sounds more like hype released by their Damage Control squad after so much shit press involving their products... I'll believe it when It actually happens.

the first Intel chip with 8 cores and 16 threads

I dont agree with that. 5960x has it and also more L3 Cache.
Not sure what they mean then. I am also sure that my 5960x has 8/16, and solder.

Yeah, I'll have my Asus ROG Hero Maximus WIFI updated and inline with my $500 dollars at launch.

Considering the all core turbo will be 4.7 even with the silicon lottery I think that is doable.

What are you using for cooling?

If you only count unlocked retail CPUs, that'd be E5-1680v2 on x79.
Otherwise, E5-2650/60/70/...

Reactions: Ranma
like this
Could finally be time to upgrade my 6700K come the first of the year.

It's a bargain at $500 with a $75 chipset *snickers*

I'm holding off until some kind of hardware patch is worked into the chips. I know there will some later expoits but I woukd like some movement on the future of chip security.

Scares me a bit.

Considering the all core turbo will be 4.7 even with the silicon lottery I think that is doable.

What are you using for cooling?

H115 Pro RGB

I have the delidder and liquid metal already.

I just need some balls of steel at the time of delidding and I'll be ok ... I hope

I cannot imagine the heat this thing will produce.

My 8700K was at 85C running Handbrake yesterday with an AIO cooler and a -3AVX offset.

Will be a monster though. Tempting, since it should be a drop-in upgrade, right?

The E5-2670 has more L3 cache at 20 megs, the same as the 5960x. It was I believe among the first 8 core and 16 thread Intel chips, and that's going back to Sandy Bridge ie 2012!

Not sure what they mean then. I am also sure that my 5960x has 8/16, and solder.

I'm assuming they meant the first 8c/16t Intel CPUs on the "mainstream" platform and not the HEDT platforms like the x99 and x299. Either way it was poorly worded.

I cannot imagine the heat this thing will produce.

My 8700K was at 85C running Handbrake yesterday with an AIO cooler and a -3AVX offset.

Will be a monster though. Tempting, since it should be a drop-in upgrade, right?

It’s whats kept me away from AMDs.
Intels chips with 95 Watts or less are as high as I want to get.

I want AMD or Intel to have a base of 4.5-5GHz and 4 Cores @ 65 Watts.
After the Core Wars perhaps.

It’s whats kept me away from AMDs.
Intels chips with 95 Watts or less are as high as I want to get.

I want AMD or Intel to have a base of 4.5-5GHz and 4 Cores @ 65 Watts.
After the Core Wars perhaps.
You know you can always buy a T series Intel chip, or even one of the low power AMD varieties that are coming out. I mean even the Ryzen chips are only 65W at 8 cores if you don't get the x series. An 8 core chip at 4.1 will do you more good than a 4 core at 5 if you're doing more than playing dumb games :) haha

Rumor is intel is finally not doing a crappy job on these and you won't have to delid these processors. I think I read somewhere these might be the first chips where they are soldered on or not using crappy tim or something. That is probably why these are running at 4.7ghz all core boost out of the box. I don't thin that would have been possible out of the box if they were doing the same old crappy jobs.

the 9900k's are rumored to be soldered which is probably the only way they were able to get the boost clocks they're claiming so you shouldn't have to delid it.

Reactions: NKD
like this
You know you can always buy a T series Intel chip, or even one of the low power AMD varieties that are coming out. I mean even the Ryzen chips are only 65W at 8 cores if you don't get the x series. An 8 core chip at 4.1 will do you more good than a 4 core at 5 if you're doing more than playing dumb games :) haha

Not with apps I use inside of 1U Chassis.
More Cores is more latency.
I’d take a Dual Core @ 6GHz over an i7 8086k in a heartbeat.

From my experience Intel is full of crap on watts of low power aternatives.
I had an i7 4770S. They said lower watts and @ 400 MHz slower who could deny that.
15 watts higher than they claimed and it wasn’t locked.
Took it to 4GHz and it was hotter than if I would have bought the k.

Just a lower binned product hyped up to save Earth from global warming.

I cannot see the point in helping Intel make more money, while Spectre and Meltdown go unpatched, yet again.

They simply should not be allowed to sell unpatched CPUs without a warning on the box that tells you once you patch your system, you will loose performance with this product.

Isn't the i9 9900K 8C/8T...aka no HT "cores"?
That's the 9600k

Not with apps I use inside of 1U Chassis.
More Cores is more latency.
I’d take a Dual Core @ 6GHz over an i7 8086k in a heartbeat.

From my experience Intel is full of crap on watts of low power aternatives.
I had an i7 4770S. They said lower watts and @ 400 MHz slower who could deny that.
15 watts higher than they claimed and it wasn’t locked.
Took it to 4GHz and it was hotter than if I would have bought the k.

Just a lower binned product hyped up to save Earth from global warming.

Both sides are full of crap when it comes to tdp ratings.

Last edited:
Isn't the i9 9900K 8C/8T...aka no HT "cores"?
That's the 9600k

The 8C/8T part is actually the 9700K- which is a direct replacement for the 8700K.

[And I'm not convinced that losing four threads for two more cores will be an overall improvement like it largely was with 7700k -> 8600K going from 4C/8T to 6C/6T]

The 9600K will be a slightly-higher clocked version of the 8600K with 6C/6T.

What? Intel keeping socket compatibility? This can't be right.

Looks like they planned ahead with the power distribution, unlike AMD with their 300-series and many boards that do not like running the higher-power parts at higher speeds.

[CPU forward compatibility is always a gamble and one that you usually lose; either you enable it for the boards that may support it and deal with the issues surrounding the boards that don't, or you spin a new release with guaranteed compatibility and piss of a few people on forums that whine about something that they were never guaranteed :D ]

The 8C/8T part is actually the 9700K- which is a direct replacement for the 8700K.

[And I'm not convinced that losing four threads for two more cores will be an overall improvement like it largely was with 7700k -> 8600K going from 4C/8T to 6C/6T]

The 9600K will be a slightly-higher clocked version of the 8600K with 6C/6T.

Depends on what you are doing with the core, I am looking at the 8C/8T part when more info is out.

is this going to be a paper launch, or a product is able to be bought launch?

is this going to be a paper launch, or a product is able to be bought launch?

Could be a bit of both- demand was so high for the 8700k that you simply couldn't find one, despite there being significant channel supply.

Both sides are full of crap when it comes to tdp ratings.
Yes at times.
Recently THG tested Xeon vs Epyc and in one test the Xeon smashed past it's TDP by 100W! AMD actually stayed within on all tests.

Will be interesting to see how much more they can squeeze out of their aging 14nm process...

Will be interesting to see how much more they can squeeze out of their aging 14nm process...

I'd thought I'd killed my 8700k... turns out it probably still isn't the best sample, but physical pressure on the RAM from being installed tightly next to a radiator fan was causing some really weird shit.

However, since I'd upgraded the board to grab the version with the 10Gbase-T Aquantia NIC (working great with an HP switch, by the way!), I now have a 'spare' Z370 board, and both of these ASRock Z370 boards (one Killer SLI/ac and one Professional Gaming i7), I might consider migrating my server build from a surprisingly rock-solid 4.7GHz 7600k to my 8700k, and then put a 9900k in my desktop...

...and with an H115i, I'm not really worried about power draw/heat, on the CPU at least :D

Seems like everyone is using the AIO coolers. I gave up water loops years ago and use a Noctua. Similar results for CPU cooling in my experience. Obviously GPU and other heat syncs (used to do a Northridge cooler, etc) is a big YMMV.

Meh. I don't claim to be [H]ard. Big {S}ofty here.

Seems like everyone is using the AIO coolers. I gave up water loops years ago and use a Noctua. Similar results for CPU cooling in my experience. Obviously GPU and other heat syncs (used to do a Northridge cooler, etc) is a big YMMV.

Meh. I don't claim to be [H]ard. Big {S}ofty here.

I'd consider them about the same for most installations. My H115i is dead silent with any load that I can throw at my 8700k, but so is my buddy's under a dual-fan Noctua tower.

Main difference to me is how much space those take up inside around the socket, and that the hot air still needs to be exhausted, versus a positive-pressure setup using AIO coolers on the exhausts.

Back