Intel Reveals HDMI Compute Stick

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel is demonstrating a prototype HDMI compute stick at CES that has a complete Windows 8.1 computer on it. Head on over to ThinkComputers for all the info.

Again only a prototype at this point the Intel Compute Stick will have a quad-core Atom processor, 2GB of RAM and 32GB of storage. On one side of the device is a USB port (think USB hub or USB receiver for keyboard / mouse) and a micro USB port which will be used for powering the device.

Cool concept, especially if able to replace thin clients (not that other technologies don't exist that can do this). Although, I would prefer an HDMI input that I could plug a cable in. I wouldn't care for that hanging off of an HDMI port. Oh and add bluetooth/RF for keyboard and mouse.

LOL this thief. meme waiting to be born.

HTB1c52NGFXXXXa7apXXq6xXFXXX6.jpg

I can see actual, practical applications for this form factor. If this thing has WiFi, then it would be a good client from a multimedia server or display driver.

I can see actual, practical applications for this form factor. If this thing has WiFi, then it would be a good client from a multimedia server or display driver.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing the sub 100$ linux with a bit of scripting to push multimedia content to wall displays at very low power and less wires would be amazing.

for the guy asking about xbmx, just get a raspberry pi, I've been running a bunch of them for like 2 years now, they are great, and for like 35 bucks, can't go wrong

For those who are worried that this has a male HDMI end, you can buy HDMI extension cables from Monoprice to connect it if you wish.

For those who are worried that this has a male HDMI end, you can buy HDMI extension cables from Monoprice to connect it if you wish.

True. My only worry with the male connector concept is that it could break. There's a lot of weight/leverage on something like that already, and a small amount of force could snap that connector right off the board. Not to mention stress to the female end on the TV/Monitor. Happens with USB dongles frequently.

True. My only worry with the male connector concept is that it could break. There's a lot of weight/leverage on something like that already, and a small amount of force could snap that connector right off the board. Not to mention stress to the female end on the TV/Monitor. Happens with USB dongles frequently.

Otherwise, it's a cool little device really.

I dunno monster I love my roku 3. hulu / plex / headphones / never any issues.

Unless this thing gives blowjobs i can't see any reason to replace my roku with it.

Steam in home streaming and Plex Home Theater would be my biggest reasons. The Roku 3's performance with Plex is fantastic, but the interface drives me insane.

I like to see how it compares to similar ARM based devices and how easy it is to put linux in the device for a HTPC frontend.

It's a usb-powered Baytrail NUC with no upgrades possible.

That said, thanks to Windows with Bing and no upgrades, the price is over a hundred less than you could get building your own Baytrail NUC. Definitely going to recommend this to a friend who wants a cheap Windows HTPC.

It's cool, but 32GB of storage is a little concerning. How much storage does a 8.1 install take up? Twenty-something? I could see this having less then ten gigs of user space to play with.

It's cool, but 32GB of storage is a little concerning. How much storage does a 8.1 install take up? Twenty-something? I could see this having less then ten gigs of user space to play with.

I'm assuming you can't instal programs to the MicroSD slot, by the way. One of these would be a lot of fun with my GOG library loaded on it, but it's going to need a lot more program space.

I'm assuming you can't instal programs to the MicroSD slot, by the way. One of these would be a lot of fun with my GOG library loaded on it, but it's going to need a lot more program space.

If this is using a WimBoot install and I'm sure it is, Windows only takes about 4 GB on storage. I have a couple of 32 GB Windows tablets and while it's obviously not a ton of storage it is more than enough to install a number of desktop apps and a lot of modern apps. There was a way to install Store apps on SD cards in Windows 8 but I don't think that works in 8.1 anymore. But you can install your desktop apps to SD and keep the store apps on C.

I had one of this kind with android for a while.
Actually I think mine is smaller than Intel's.
Its 2/16 GB. Works just fine.

I take back my original enthusiasm:

1. This uses the low-clocked 1.6 GHz turbo quad-core. That's not exactly the speed Bay Trail is capable of, and will make it feel more like the original Atom in single-threaded situations.

2. These mini PCs from HP have a real 1.4 GHz Haswell Celeron, and otherwise the Stream Mini offers the same spec for $30 more. They also have UPGRADABLE COMPONENTS!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ou-complete-windows-desktops-starting-at-180/

It also looks like the HP PCs will be available this month, whereas the launch for the Intel stick is March.

That actually appears to be the first somewhat compelling PC product I've seen HP produce in... ...forever??? Looks like a nice little package for non-demanding applications. Pretty cool.

Back