Intel : Retailedge - Winter '09 Big Deal thread

whymeintrouble

Limp Gawd
hi all,

I'm suffering through this stupid web commercial. hopefully something good will come of it...soon!

Big Deal (starts in December):

**ROCKSTAR ONLY*** Intel x25-m solid state $129 they didn't say which one, I assume 80gb
----- Rockstar
core i5-750 $89(Rockstar ) / $99
core i7-860 $119(Rockstar ) / $129
intel dp55wg $109

Retailedge info :

Chip reduction policy :

Pass 1 Session and 1 Word quiz every 6 months and you keep your chips :)

Last edited:
hi all,

I'm suffering through this stupid web commercial. hopefully something good will come of it...soon!

Big Deal (starts in December):

**ROCKSTAR ONLY*** Intel x25-m solid state $129
core i5-750 $89 - $99
core i7-860 $119 - $129
intel dp55wg $109

Retailedge info :

Chip reduction policy :

Pass 1 Session and 1 Word quiz every 6 months and you keep your chips :)

wait are they not sure on the prices of those processors? also, which X25-M is it? the 160 or the 80?

wait are they not sure on the prices of those processors? also, which X25-M is it? the 160 or the 80?

The X25-M is probably the 80gb.

The lower prices that are listed are exclusively for rockstars in the IREP.

Pretty decent deals, and there is a wider selection than the summers big deal.

yeah its the 80GB. now i need to know if its the G1 or G2. if its the G1, there's no point in even buying it since the G2 has TRIM now.

yeah its the 80GB. now i need to know if its the G1 or G2. if its the G1, there's no point in even buying it since the G2 has TRIM now.

Trim is not supported on xp, vista, and mac. It will never be supported on xp or vista, and we don't know when mac will get support. Thus some people putting a fast (and cheap) ssd in an old laptop, such as macbook pro would gain no benefit with the G2.

Second even withouth trim the G1 is one of the fastest ssd on the market. It has faster random reads, sequential reads, and random reads than anything else on the market with the exception of the g2 and the enterprise intel ssd. It is only on the sequential write is the G1 slower than the competition such as Indilinx, and even then the g2 loses to Indilinx for sequential writes is intel's Achilles heel.

Third getting a g1 for 129 is 100 dollars cheaper than any place you can get a g2 online. That is almost half off.

Finally there is always wipper tools, while not as good as trim it is better than nothing.

-----

$129 even for a g1 is still a steal.

staradderdragoon said:

Lets put it this way, lets say you are a store employee and thus gaming on a budget. (since you work retail and thus don't get paid that well and probably have expenses such as rent/college/car/girlfriend/boyfriend etc. You only have about a 1000 to 1100 dollars to spend (trying to keep it 11 or so with taxes). Assuming you spend 300 on cpu and motherboard, 100 on case, 80 on ram, 70 on hard/data drive, 35 on non stock cooler, 70 on power supply,

Leaving you about $400 to $450 to spend on graphic card and solid state hard drive. For that 400 you can get a g1 and a 5850, or you can get a g2 and a 4890.

Which would you suggest to the retail employee? I would recommend him get the 5850

Lets put it this way, lets say you are a store employee and thus gaming on a budget. (since you work retail and thus don't get paid that well and probably have expenses such as rent/college/car/girlfriend/boyfriend etc. You only have about a 1000 to 1100 dollars to spend (trying to keep it 11 or so with taxes). Assuming you spend 300 on cpu and motherboard, 100 on case, 80 on ram, 70 on hard/data drive, 35 on non stock cooler, 70 on power supply,

Leaving you about $400 to $450 to spend on graphic card and solid state hard drive. For that 400 you can get a g1 and a 5850, or you can get a g2 and a 4890.

Which would you suggest to the retail employee? I would recommend him get the 5850

haha retail employee for sure but definitely not gaming on a budget. :) (the comp in my sig is like 2-3 yrs old)
in the other thread, it's been said that it's a G2 though so it'll be a nice upgrade. you're right though, i'd rather get the 5850.

@Arcygenical
its not hard getting to rockstar lvl if you've been there for over a year lol. (which happens to be the hardest requirement)

haha retail employee for sure but definitely not gaming on a budget. :) (the comp in my sig is like 2-3 yrs old)
in the other thread, it's been said that it's a G2 though so it'll be a nice upgrade. you're right though, i'd rather get the 5850.

@Arcygenical
its not hard getting rockstar status (you just gotta be a member for a year....lol)

Last edited:
wait, how come you already know what the december Big Deal is before it's announced? also, is the new chip policy effect as of now? so we won't lose half our chip after this year ends?

wait, how come you already know what the december Big Deal is before it's announced? also, is the new chip policy effect as of now? so we won't lose half our chip after this year ends?

There was a webcast today, er yesterday now, that had the announcement on the retailedge site. I was announced but details were a little lacking. Standby for the site to post soon I presume.

Nice deals as usual, though I would have preferred a 720 over the 860.

Im already at the rockstar level. I wish amd's program was as good as intels.
The amd program isn't that bad, it is just paired with luck. With the amd program you go to amd/hp events and are entered into drawings. I have won a total of 3 graphic cards from said events (which I didn't have to pay anything for besides gas), an xfx 4890, a xfx 4850 1gb, and a visiontek 4670 1gb.

They also have similar big deals with points and paying for, but it just isn't as good.

not a bad deal kinda makes me wish I still worked at best buy... only kinda...
I may have acquired the 920 deal from a person who still works there...
Now i just need to shell out and buy a mobo...

I am a little torn. I passed up the 920 deal and now I regret it. I plan on now passing this up but this would be a nice rig nonetheless. Intel, why do you make this so difficult!

intel retail edge has been updated, the big deals have been announced, also, they added an auction tab where you can buy different items with only chips (not completely sure about this). They have a q6700 on the auction right now.

the big deals have been announced but to recap:

intel x25-m (not sure what generation, will email them) edit: confirmed from intel: 80gb 2nd generation
rockstar price: 129$

intel core i7-860
rockstar price 119$
member price: 129$

intel core i5-750
rockstar price: 89$
member price: 99$

intel mobo dp55wg
member price: 109$

Last edited:
Did some research, and that sounds like a pretty cool program. I have to give Intel (and AMD if they have an equivalant) props for such an idea. I remember when I first joined the work force I was in retail and while the money was nice, it was not great. I cannot participate in a program such as this, however I am pleased to see something like this in effect.

play nice guys, sarcasm and name calling to a mininum.

Anyways, thank you for moving my thread. I was actually posting in regards to the fact that intel updated their website with all new stuff, but it is better to have all of this centralized. I'm still interested to see how the auction goes, buying stuff with nothing but chips sounds cool.

the intel q6700 is now at 17500 chips, with 5 days left to go, wonder how high it will get.

Anyways, thank you for moving my thread. I was actually posting in regards to the fact that intel updated their website with all new stuff, but it is better to have all of this centralized. I'm still interested to see how the auction goes, buying stuff with nothing but chips sounds cool.

the intel q6700 is now at 17500 chips, with 5 days left to go, wonder how high it will get.
As high as the highest point-value attached to anyone's account who wants it. The chips don't have monetary value, so it's not like you can say "20000 is okay, but 23000 is too much." If someone who wants the Q has 50000 chips, expect the "price" to go that high.

Hello Sergy,

Thank you for contacting the Intel(R) Retail Edge Program team.

You are correct, the SSD is the 80GB, 2nd generation.

Sincerely,

Intel(R) Retail Edge Program Support
www.intel.com/retailedge

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in
the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: big deal: x25-m

hi i was wondering which x25 will be on the big deal this winter. I'm
assuming it's the 80gb, but is it the 1st generation or the 2nd generation?

thank you for taking the time to read this.
-sergy
thats that

Alright, alright, I concede. Thanks for the heads up on the e-mail, should put that issue to rest finally.

The auctions are very interesting and I really like the idea. I mean, put a bid in on something that is simply overstock that is essentially free less some time you spent clicking around on a website. Brilliant really.

Does anyone know whether they guarantee that you can get the items offered? I'm waiting on my verification to go through, but I doubt that it will before the program starts on the 8th.

What do you guys think the BNIB resale value on each of these items would be?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

What do you guys think the BNIB resale value on each of these items would be?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
$0, since you're not allowed to resell for one year. And I will personally bludgeon anyone who breaks this rule, since I hate when people abuse these goodwill initiatives (college student). :mad:

Darn, well hopefully it doesn't take them the full 4-6 weeks to verify my employment. It's been a few years since i've done retailedge, but I don't remember there being availability issues the last time I did it. Have they run out before?

@ 24k chips... I should hit the rockstar level... But I still need to wait on employment verification - and that's going to be a bitch. :(

Times like this when I wish I still worked at best Buy. My main rig is starting to show its age, and I would like an SSD for the OS, but $200 bones just isn't in the cards...

Sweet, they just verified my employment. It's nice that it only took 5 days instead of the 4-6 weeks they say it will.

This has actually been pretty tame, I'm surprised I haven't heard any mention of "When will it start" or "ordered already"... :confused:

Oh... believe me... I've been pressing refresh every minute since about 4:00 this afternoon... :eek:

I thought about it, but that would have used up time that I could have used to press F5.

Well, the site is down for updates. Hopefully this means that the deal will start soon.

Back