Intel Retail Edge Summer Deal 2015

You seem to be more willing to swap out hardware on a more regular basis than I am. I like to build something and use the existing hardware. Probably why I have a Sandy Bridge i3 with 8gb of ram still running hence the new server build.

On the contrary my friend. This was an entirely new build that I pieced together in Dec/Jan for the sake of having a second but smaller pc. The G3258 was something to keep me busy until the opportunity came along to drop a more powerful chip in. I haven't upgraded my main rig in a while and don't plan on doing so for a long time.

The specs for that one are as follows:

3570k @ 4.5
Asus Sabertooth Z77
GTX 780 Classified
16GB of Ram
2x 256GB Crucial m4's in RAID 0
1TB WD Black
Seasonic 660W Platinum
Corsair Carbide 650d
Corsair H100i

On the contrary my friend. This was an entirely new build that I pieced together in Dec/Jan for the sake of having a second but smaller pc. The G3258 was something to keep me busy until the opportunity came along to drop a more powerful chip in. I haven't upgraded my main rig in a while and don't plan on doing so for a long time.

The specs for that one are as follows:

3570k @ 4.5
Asus Sabertooth Z77
GTX 780 Classified
16GB of Ram
2x 256GB Crucial m4's in RAID 0
1TB WD Black
Seasonic 660W Platinum
Corsair Carbide 650d
Corsair H100i

I see. So you keep the solid primary box as your go to for everything, and this other box is a "play" box that you are willing to tweak and upgrade to your needs as you go along? I sort of think that is what I am starting to build with this new chip.

My main rig is just that, for everything while my original i3 server is for the family and my wife would kill me if it ever went down. This new one will be a play box to run Plex mainly and then run VM's and dev stuff. If Plex dies it won't be the end of the world but I would probably get some funny looks from the household.

I see. So you keep the solid primary box as your go to for everything, and this other box is a "play" box that you are willing to tweak and upgrade to your needs as you go along? I sort of think that is what I am starting to build with this new chip.

My main rig is just that, for everything while my original i3 server is for the family and my wife would kill me if it ever went down. This new one will be a play box to run Plex mainly and then run VM's and dev stuff. If Plex dies it won't be the end of the world but I would probably get some funny looks from the household.

It's kind of like a play box, but I have no plans on upgrading anything in it anyways after I get the 4790k. I was always going to drop an i7 into it from the get go. I'm probably going to swap in the GTX 780 for the 660 as I game on it more than I do on the main rig. But that depends. I'm looking forward to Just Cause 3, Star Wars Battlefront, and whatever else gets announced @ E3.

I'm glad they are selling these chips. I think I would turn down the 5th gen. From taking the training modules, those things seem to specifically for mobile devices. Correct me if I am wrong but that was my take from it.

I'm glad they are selling these chips. I think I would turn down the 5th gen. From taking the training modules, those things seem to specifically for mobile devices. Correct me if I am wrong but that was my take from it.

There are no training modules yet for future enthusiast chips because they are not out yet and information has not been released.

With that said, Skylake may be the next big thing for us. Remains to be seen so assuming that they are specifically designed for mobile is really far off base.

The initial Skylake desktop offering will only have 20 PCIe lanes. So figure you use 16 for a graphics card (even though eight would still not even come close to saturation), and you've only got four left for your M.2/SATA Express disks.

Each 8Gb x1 lane of PCIe 3.0 is 1000MB/sec. So two SM951-type drives would saturate all of Skylake's 20 lanes. And the SM951 is billed as a PCI 3.0 x4 drive.

Kind of waiting for Skylake-E myself, or I might settle for Broadwell-E.

I am glad that that screenshot was positioned just so it included that very last line at the top that explicitly says "Reselling is prohibited."

It's a shame that nobody follows that particular rule with Retail Edge though.

Do they ship them based on a first come, first serve type of basis, or do they ship them out all at the end, once the deal expires?

They usually start shipping 2-3 weeks in I believe. I usually have my order in within 4 weeks or so if I order on first day. We will see but you never know with this stuff.

I am glad that that screenshot was positioned just so it included that very last line at the top that explicitly says "Reselling is prohibited."

It's a shame that nobody follows that particular rule with Retail Edge though.

Given that working retail is a job where those within it are generally screwed every which way by their corporate overlords, I don't really fault them for taking advantage of a program that might buy them a tank of gas or two, help buy food for a week, or give them a chance to indulge in a personal luxury or want for once.

I'm just surprised that some retailers haven't decided to utilize this to pick up cheap stock to swell their inventories which they could then claim as pure profit.

I'm just surprised that some retailers haven't decided to utilize this to pick up cheap stock to swell their inventories which they could then claim as pure profit.

And risk fines and/or losing direct access to tier 1 distributors? No legitimate retailer would touch that.

Regarding the other part, that's a completely different discussion for a different day that most people won't see eye to eye on. Regardless, if you're acquiring it with the sole intent to resell it at a profit (nigh at all), you're doing it wrong.

And risk fines and/or losing direct access to tier 1 distributors? No legitimate retailer would touch that.

Regarding the other part, that's a completely different discussion for a different day that most people won't see eye to eye on. Regardless, if you're acquiring it with the sole intent to resell it at a profit (nigh at all), you're doing it wrong.

May be it's wrong but justify it to those who bust their asses for retailers. I personally did it myself. Sue me. I have done plenty of good in my life to be judged for selling a retail edge product. I will still sleep good at night, to me I am still passing on savings to another member here or they can go spend another 100+ for the same thing. If I am not gonna use it, whey the hell would I hold on to it. I would rather pass on some sort of savings here.

I got mine like two weeks ago was on of the first picked up the 5930k going to keep it until Battlefield 5 comes around next year maybe it might require a uber PC.

Store update Is today not sure what 61,000 k chips will buy.....I'm thinking not much..

Just got email saying I am being transferred to a different "edge" program for direct resellers.
I think the cash cow just died.
Glad I updated my CPU when I did!

That is interested I only been with the program for a year myself.....can you elaborate?

Just got email saying I am being transferred to a different "edge" program for direct resellers.
I think the cash cow just died.
Glad I updated my CPU when I did!

Can I ask what type of company you work for that they would do that? I work for a typical retailer, just curious.

Does it auto renew your employee verification when the 90 days ticks down or do you have to manually do it?

It's done manually after like when it's down to 7 days you will see a button for TALX verification.

Last edited:
Intel doesn't do any deals like this for IT professionals, do they?

Intel doesn't do any deals like this for IT professionals, do they?

No, as the program is not geared towards IT professionals. Its geared towards sales of their products and product promotion.

No, as the program is not geared towards IT professionals. Its geared towards sales of their products and product promotion.

I know this is Retail Edge. What I meant is does Intel have another program for IT pros that are not in retail.

My day at Walmart yesterday had nothing to do with intel products put it that way =)

I just turned Legend Last week took 15 months to do it.....

Site has been Drastically updated it's really good looking now and you Verify your employment at any time now. Which clocks down from 90 days total

I've started going to the site to do the learning activities to get to the next level so that I can get in on the holiday deal, i missed the summer deal by a week since I though it would be in June not May heh. I keep missing it or something comes up, but I'm really itching to upgrade and focused on getting in on it this year! My i7 860 has been good to me but... that 4790K (Ooh or will it be Skylake!?) looks so shiny and new! :cool:

site is awesome playing the Hack vs: Slash contest all this month..

I just got Legend Status and they sent me a cool Care package last week with some goodies for reaching Legend Status.

Back