Intel Retail Edge 2006!

Make sure to check the RAM manufacturers websites to see if it will work.

The intel QVL is laughable.

http://www.corsairmemory.com

for all your corsair lovers like myself.

The RAM I was using was TWIN2X2048-6400 and the computer would only power on for a second.

Edit: Gigabyte DS3 ordered last night. :D

Question, on the Intel Box, did anyones seemed pre-opened? Mine had two seals. One that was busted and one that resealed it. Everything important seems to be there but just fishy... Anyone know what the onboard video is?

Mysteriouskk said:
So does ram with a 2.2v rating work with the mobo?
probably not, I have some OCZ rated for 2.1v and I was getting all kinda of errors and random reboots until I cranked up the voltage

Mine arrived today as well.

I hate UPS...My the box for the CPU came nice and banged up. Now I just need to test it and make sure the hardware itself is good.

wow mines not due til the 20th, i did get ground. i was verified and pending before they started shipping

EnderW said:
probably not, I have some OCZ rated for 2.1v and I was getting all kinda of errors and random reboots until I cranked up the voltage

you were able to adjust the ram voltage on this intel motherboard? i thought this mobo didn't let you do that.

impronto said:
for those who received their bundle, which vista did you get?

I got Vista Release Candidate 1 with the bundle (both x86 and x64 versions). I believe that they will send the real thing when it comes out.

Quazimoto said:
you were able to adjust the ram voltage on this intel motherboard? i thought this mobo didn't let you do that.

That's what I thought, I thought this board like running lower voltage ram since I hear its very picky with ram

I've been holding off from regsitering for the bundle for a while now, even though I've had enough chips since the October quiz.

When I did hit the "Apply now"/"Regsiter" button today, I was please that I was instantly verified :) (I had gone to a live event). Do they need additional verification when you want to use your code to make the purchase?

I still don't know if it's worth it, though. The CPU is available for ~$180 retail (and is the lowest in the E6xxx tier), the motherboard seems to be mediocre (and picky, from what people have said), and I'd have to buy DDR2 RAM for it (I currently have "old" BH-5).

I'm not too excited about Vista since it doesn't seem to bring any immediate "must-haves" to the table (granted I've never tried the betas). Plus, there is a (very) slight chance our university may get licneses for in a year or two, making it free for enrolled students (like XP Pro is currently).

What do you guys think?

Got mine today, too. Retail boxed 6300, cheap Intel motherboard, and the same RC1 copy of Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64bit.

I'll be selling both the processor and motherboard on Ebay for some low price and upgrading to an Asus P5N32-E SLI motherboard and a 6600 cpu. Still have to get the ram and another PCI-E videocard. Then I'll be set.

I've heard rumors that the retail edge comes with two licences for Vista...any idea if this is true or not...maybe a 32 bit licence and a 64 bit???

I also got my bundle a coupel days ago. After thinking about it, i think im gonna sell the stuff. Anyone interested in the chip and motherboard? Willing to let it go under retail.

vishank said:
I got Vista Release Candidate 1 with the bundle (both x86 and x64 versions). I believe that they will send the real thing when it comes out.

I called shop-intel.com they said they will be shipping the Vista Ultimate Edition to everyone once it is relased to the general public. Currenlty the ETA on this is Jan31st.

The only mention of this is on thier site when you go through the order process at the retail edge site:
"Bonus software free with your purchase
The bundle ships with Release Candidate 1 of Microsoft* Windows Vista*. A copy of the final version of Microsoft* Windows Vista* Ultimate will be shipped to you when it becomes available. The beta and full version will contain both the 32 and 64-bit versions of the operating system."

What do they go for on ebay?
Hint: u not gonna get $900 Retail for the combo, or anywhere near it..

andypnb said:
I also got my bundle a coupel days ago. After thinking about it, i think im gonna sell the stuff. Anyone interested in the chip and motherboard? Willing to let it go under retail.

amdmaxx said:
What do they go for on ebay?
Hint: u not gonna get $900 Retail for the combo, or anywhere near it..

vista ultimate, which you can't sell is worth $400 i think.

Retail ultimate vista = $400

proc = 185
mobo = 120

so from newegg/froogle you can get the identical setup for about $700 and if your selling to someone who usually doesnt work with compies you can mark it up for $100.

So you can get $800.

is this going to be a OEM version of Vista or will it be a full box retail version?

is there anybody here that isn't interested in selling this bundle and instead consider themselves blessed for receiving it?

i want to know what ram to buy for this mb.

thanks.....:)

92miata said:
is there anybody here that isn't interested in selling this bundle and instead consider themselves blessed for receiving it?

I'm damn grateful for this bundle. I just came from an old Pentium 4 which I've had for the last 4~5 years. This mobo is not bad, not great either. The onboard sound sucks in my opinion (I can't get my rear speakers to work). Going to have to plug in my old Hercules Fortissimo II card haha.

The memory in my sig worked straight out of the box with no problems on this mobo. Unfortunately the link to Newegg for it is dead or I just can't find it anymore.

92miata said:

I too feel blessed
i just wish Intel would Verify me...

I also and wondering about what ram i need to pick up or if i should just plan on trashing that board and get a new MOBO right off the bat... I was hopping to wait a bit first, but i see i may not have that option

I guess the value of this bundle depends a lot on how much Vista is worth it to you, as this seems to be the highlight of this year's deal.

I wonder if there is an any way of waiving/declining Vista in exchange for a better CPU and motherboard.

92miata said:

I recommend the kingston ram that intel lists as compatible. :)

http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/wh/wh_internalmem.htm

Specifically,

KVR 800 D2 N5 / 1GIG, 800mhz, $162

If you do not like kingston, for some reason...

Crucials'
"CT12864AA667.16FB" (1gb also)

is recommended.

1.8V is the way to go :)

The reason I recommend the kingston, is, because.. well..

It's 800mhz, not 667mhz.

However!!!!!!

If you intend to go over 4GB ram, you'll probably want to use 667 mhz ram (although, I currently don't know of ANY 2gb "verified" modules.

4 x 1GB x PC2-6400 "KVR800D2N5/1G" will work VERY well.

2GB KIT of the kingston, 800mhz, 324

1gb crucial, 667mhz, $125

CyberDeus-RagDoll said:

Thanks for the info. Did you talk to an Intel rep about it, or is this something they just don't allow from previous experience? This is my first year with the program, so I'm not terribly familiar with the process.

If no one had asked them before, I figure it would not hurt to ask. I haven't contacted anyone at Intel yet; I just posted here on the forums to see if anyone had any experiences with similar requests.

Also, Just to make sure, the final Windows Vista will be shipped seperately with it's own packaging and key, right? It's not like they will have a downloadable update or an "update disk" that makes your RC1 version "patched" to the official one, correct? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Jawadali said:
Also, Just to make sure, the final Windows Vista will be shipped seperately with it's own packaging and key, right? It's not like they will have a downloadable update or an "update disk" that makes your RC1 version "patched" to the official one, correct? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah they'll be shipping a separate disk. I don't think we'll have to pay for shipping or anything, but I'm not sure really.

and I'm pretty sure they won't let you upgrade to better processor... seems like it would be too much trouble to do that.

Got mine today! The E6300 is a week 29. Going to build up the system after I get back from Thanksgiving. Overall, I'm very impressed with the program and will definitely be doing it next year.

I can understand why some people would want to get another motherboard, but ebaying the whole bundle to make a buck / get free Vista is pretty tacky.
http://search.ebay.com/dg965wh_W0QQfromZR8QQfrtsZ0

92miata said:

i just bought pny optima 5300 and runs fine can't see the 6400 being to much faster since the timings are shit on ddr2 memory

w00t just got my package today...for those of you that already got your packages, could we get a list of ram that works with the DG965WH because I'm sure alot of people are having problems......maybe even some benchmarks comparing 5300 vs 6400 even??

received my package last night. intel gave me a scare with all the paper they stuffed in the box to avoid things moving around. I thought I received an empty box, lol.

vsboxerboy said:
w00t just got my package today...for those of you that already got your packages, could we get a list of ram that works with the DG965WH because I'm sure alot of people are having problems......maybe even some benchmarks comparing 5300 vs 6400 even??

I got my bundle last friday. I tested it with the crucial 10th anniversary 2GB 667 set. It posted with no problems, no adjustments had to be made. My problem though is I have a Zalman VF-900cu on my 7800GT and because of the nicely placed caps on the intel motherboard, it won't fit in the PCIe slot. I have a Biostar TForce 965PT coming in tonight, I'm going to build my system with that and use the intel board to build my parents a computer in a few months. The biostar seemed like a good bet since it gives me some ability to overclock and it was only $111 from newegg.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if anyone has been able to get the board to post using RAM not specified by intel (ie 2.0V)

Do you have the ability to increase the voltage on the ram if you want to with this mobo?

My board is running great and I have 2x512mb of PQI 2.0v memory and 2x512 of PNY also. No problems at all, loving the setup and am typing this on it now.

Back