Intel releases new RealSense camera for just $79

Auer

[H]ard|Gawd
"The SR305 camera projects multiple coded light patterns onto surfaces to improve its accuracy of an object.

Its aimed at beginners to depth technology and programmers and developers just "getting [their] feet wet" according to Intel.
It is optimized for use between 0.2-1.5 meters. The camera provides a 640x480 depth resolution at 60 frames per second.

The SR305 runs the open-source Intel REalSense SDK 2.0. Face analytics and tracking, scanning and mapping, scene segmentation, hand and finger tracking, and augmented reality are all available on the camera through apps."

https://www.windowscentral.com/intel-releases-new-realsense-camera-just-79

https://store.intelrealsense.com/bu...9.1861063303.1563296958-1205340428.1563296958

This is a pretty good price point, and tempting. Now that I'm getting into 3d printing, having a 3d scanner to replicate parts could be quite handy. Will have to see how precise it is.

Reactions: Auer
like this
Not just replicating parts.
But let's say you want to print an additional part for something... like, on YT someone modded their RC car with larger front/rear wheel wells.
That was way easier as he had a 3D scan of the base car, so he could model the wheel wells "onto" the base.
Printed them out and they fit quite well onto the base car.

Not just replicating parts.
But let's say you want to print an additional part for something... like, on YT someone modded their RC car with larger front/rear wheel wells.
That was way easier as he had a 3D scan of the base car, so he could model the wheel wells "onto" the base.
Printed them out and they fit quite well onto the base car.

I'd use it to make aero parts for my race car, scan, CAD, 3d print, test mount etc.

like this
I Have to give them credit for using an open source SDK - which I hope takes care of the vast majority of features. I'm curious how this stands up to other cameras today that claim to be able to do at least some of the same things - ie face and hand tracking etc? Some even have IR depth sensing and the like.

For awhile, Intel RealSense was a big name thing pushed into some laptop cameras, but there wasn't much on the desktop/peripheral market like this. Given the 640x480 depth, is that specific to the resolution for special scanning, or is that the whole resolution of the camera itself (ie it can only capture video up to that res?). If this is the case, then it is pretty much ONLY useful for specific Intel RealSense things, and you'd need a separate camera for any "normal-ish" webcam stuff.

Though this field will likely grow, in technical factors as well as gaming. Consider that Star Citizen has a well implemented (yes, its available at current) "FOIP" setup, that allows users with a mid-grade-modern or better webcam to to have it monitor facial recognition and map your facial expressions onto that of your avatar (ie you smile, your character smiles, you talk, he talks etc). This is combined with a voice/mic system from the same cam or elsewhere (ie You talk, it will look like your avatar is talking and people nearby will be able to hear you), its a neat effect. THough its not yet complete, later iterations will let you to fully map your real-world face onto your avatar if you wish, and modulate your voice (ie you're playing an avatar of the other gender and want to save a voice profile that changes your pitch and tone). Its a neat feature that enhances the game considerably and will continue to grow. This all makes sense considering that CIG used latest generation hollywood mocap (ie Andy Serkis is hired to play some of the aliens for a reason!) and they've always - for better or worse - focused on pushing the envelope. Quite some time ago they showed off a prototype webcam specifically focused on FOIP and other game-related features, which included high frame rate and depth mapping functions, very similar to those that would be shown by Intel Real Sense and others down the line. I'm eager to see the tech develop in an open fashion!

Especially as someone not only interested in Star Citizen but considering the use of something like FaceRig (though I'd love to see an open source alternative) + Live2D plugin for videos/streaming, seeing development of these cameras is promising.

Just purchased one. Looks like it would work with RecFusion for making 3D STL files for printing.

like this
Back